5.56 "Green Tip" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.56 "Green Tip" question

I've been wanting to buy some Winchester 62gr 5.56 "M855 Green Tip" ammo.
    They will not let me shoot this at our indoor gun range, what is the story on this ammo? Is it "armor piercing"? What is the difference in FMJ and this Green tip?

It is steel core instead of lead

Micheal

Comment

You can always buy M193 for the indoor range...little cheaper too.

Comment

Its is metal jacketed lead core, that's why you cant use them. Army still uses them in shoot houses, due to the m855a1 round blowing threw the walls.

Comment

As others said, the green tip 855 has a steel tip(not entire steel core) and will penetrate through mild steel(believe 1/4”). If you take a standard FMJ and shoot some mild steel it may dent it. Odds are the 855 will poke a hole through it. It can tear up the indoor range bullet traps and what not, so they usually don’t allow it.

It’s not “armor piercing” by definition, but again find a piece of mild steel or even AR500 and compare it side by side with a standard FMJ and you will see it does a lot more damage if it doesn’t just punch through it.

Comment

It isn't "illegal," as the internet says. It also isn't some cop-killing "super round" that will destroy the world.

Comment

I’ve had issues at my closest outdoor range (Alpine Ft Worth), nothing FMJ. So what little 5.56 I’ve shot have been my reload soft point. Not sure what the deal is.

Comment

It’s steel core/tip ammo. A lot of ranges won’t let your shoot it. I don’t know specific reasons.
                I’d assume it has something to do with damaging the range/targets
                M193 is better in almost every way and usually a little cheaper.
                Last edited by Clay C; 08-15-2022, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                  I’ve had issues at my closest outdoor range (Alpine Ft Worth), nothing FMJ. So what little 5.56 I’ve shot have been my reload soft point. Not sure what the deal is.
                  You need to get away from that place anyway, it sucks! Much better ranges around

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                    It isn't "illegal," as the internet says. It also isn't some cop-killing "super round" that will destroy the world.
                    Brahhh, it'll blow your liver clean out.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                      Brahhh, it'll blow your liver clean out.
                      That’s a 9mm….

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                        That’s a 9mm….
                        9mm blows lungs out. Green tip destroys the liver from a mile away THROUGH 1/2" steel plates!

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                          But armor piercing means cop killer. For some dumb uneducated liberal reason.

Comment

Originally posted by jdg13 View Post
                            9mm blows lungs out. Green tip destroys the liver from a mile away THROUGH 1/2" steel plates!
                            I get your point but that ain't going to happen

Comment

Originally posted by jdg13 View Post
                              Man, I can see you stay up on the latest libtard teachings, you keep your facts straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X