Red dot on EDC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red dot on EDC?

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I am new to the forum and can't find a thread.

What are y'alls thoughts on having a red dot on an EDC handgun? It's for concealed carry specifically. Anyone got pros and cons, or suggestions around the $250-$300 range?

I have the Romeo 1 on my Sig M18. Love it. Battery life is 20,000 hours so they say. Had it about 6 months and still bright as new. Looks like this https://soldiersystems.net/2018/03/2...-enhancements/

Allows me to look thru and use the iron sights if needed.
    Last edited by muzzlebrake; 04-29-2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      Battery life is 20,000 hours so they say.
      Holy crap, really? That seems almost worth it in itself...

Comment

This was discussed pretty thoroughly probably 6-8 months back on here, there are 2 camps. Those that think it is dumb and those that think it is greatest thing since sliced bread.

I am in the I think it is dumb category. I would not trust one on my everyday carry weapon. I wont it to work 100% of the time no ifs ands or buts so I will just run irons on all of my daily carry stuff. Even on my AR and such it has a low power scope on it to keep from having to rely on a battery whether it will work that day or not. Or I would run a tritium reticle of some sort like the trijicon optics.

Comment

No reason not to, I run one on my EDC and love it. The ifs ans or buts about them not working really isn’t valid if you take care of your stuff and change batteries timely. Like changing oil in your truck it’s just maintenance. To me pistol optics are faster than irons, but like with either you need to properly train to be proficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by QuackHunter View Post
            with either you need to properly train to be proficient.
            This

Comment

I have the Romeo on my sig365XL and I really like it. Con- when ankle carrying it doesn't fit in my boot as well as I would like. Other than that I like it. As said above definitely need to train to become proficient with it.

Comment

I have a romeo zero on my glock 48 and i woul dnot go back to iron sights. Much quicker alignment when i draw. Of course my eyes are not what they used to be. Battery life is awesome and low light bright light no problem. I think it is worth it. It aligns my grip so quickly and accurately now. But like others said, you must practice to become proficient

Comment

I think its just all personal preference. I have no problem with it and have ran one on my carry gun. Just train and be ready to deal with possible failure points with a RDS even though they arent super common.

Comment

I have a Holosun 507c on a Glock 19 and my old eyes love it .

Comment

I don't think it's dumb, but I would not have one on my EDC. I run irons on mine loctited in, no chance of losing them or losing zero. In an up close situation you will never see your sights anyway, close up combat shooting is all about muscle memory.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                        I don't think it's dumb, but I would not have one on my EDC. I run irons on mine loctited in, no chance of losing them or losing zero. In an up close situation you will never see your sights anyway, close up combat shooting is all about muscle memory.
                        This^^^.

Comment

Red dots have been a game changer for me with almost no negatives. I run optics on all of my carry guns now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post

Not disagreeing with you but I’ve seen on several occasions irons disappear off of slides or drift heavily. I’ve also seen factory glock sights break. Everything has its own set of flaws to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can find a holster that works to carry comfortably, I don’t see a downside as long as you use an RMR and still have BUIS. I wouldn’t trust other options, especially without irons that can be used without removing it. Many of the other models work fine for awhile but don’t hold up to the abuse of being slide mounted.

Comment

Working...
                              X