Gearing Up For My First Public Land Hunt - Learning To Enjoy the Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearing Up For My First Public Land Hunt - Learning To Enjoy the Journey

I've always envied folks who can sit back and just enjoy the journey. They seem carefree and just at ease in the moment.

I, on the other hand, I'm always laser focused and treating every decision as if it will make or break an experience...in the words of my dad, "you are always pressing".

I'm fortunate enough to hunt a small family place in East Texas and managing that place with my dad has always been more than enough to keep us busy during the season.

Well this year is my first time putting in for a public land draw. I honestly just wasn't aware of the process, but a work friend got me interested after he took a deer on public land last year and I've been eager for the draw all year.

I decided to put in with my father in hopes of making some more great memories together. We put in for many hunts and we only drew one in our first year (pretty good I hear given the points system) but to our surprise (and likely the disdain of many folks on hear that feel we don't deserve it yet) we drew Hagerman.

I'm extremely excited, never having been in the woods with the likes of the deer shown on previous threads, but I immediately felt an overwhelming rush of "unpreparedness": where will I setup, how do I get dad in a position to be successful, do I have everything I need

Not that those questions don't need to be answered, but I'm committing to myself to enjoying this experience (harvest or not) and not let it slip by "pressing"...not worrying about where I'll hunt, the competition for "spots" or any other thing that could take some of the fun out of the experience.

A huge thank you to those I've reached out to...some great folks on here and the conversations have been great..really appreciate it...and if you see me at Segment A and I'm a ball of nerves..tell me to chill out and enjoy it

Appreciate this forum.

Congrats on the draw and good luck...…….Enjoy it because life is short to worry all the time......

Comment

Congratulations on drawing the Hag enjoy the hunt

Comment

Thanks folks!

Comment

Enjoy and post pics

Comment

Good luck, enjoy it! It's natural to continue pressing something. I think the enjoyment comes when I learn to compartmentalize and cut off that pressing when it's not time for that, and turn it back on later. Its never really off but just learning to enjoy what's going on while still focused on a plan, forming the plan, etc.

Comment

Good times , good luck

Comment

I have the pressing type personality also which can be self frustrating at times. But on the other hand it has made me successful in the parts of my life that it is present which include hunting(unfortunately not making lots of $). So it’s not all bad. As I’ve gotten older it has calmed a little. Lol! Enjoy your hunt!

Comment

Congrats! Hope to see some pics

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks folks .. I’ll post up come November

Comment

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All I can say is take it easy, slow down and enjoy the hunt with your dad. There will come a time way too soon when you won't be able to enjoy the hunt with your dad.

Hoping the best for you and your dad.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks folks! Going to make my first trip out soon to at least learn where the parking lot is...I'll have kids in tow so reckon we will just walk the main road in Big Mineral to get a feel for the place

Comment

Working...
                          X