10mm vs 45 ACP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10mm vs 45 ACP

After watching this video I still can't figure out why I still want me a 10mm. Maybe because I have never had one.??????????

BTW, Glock is not in my vocabulary.

Good video. Thanks for sharing. I’ll stick to good ol’ .45

Comment

I don’t consider 10mm necessary or the best choice for self defense. To me it is more of a hunting power caliber. Generally as far as power, I think the 45 benefitted more from modern powders and projectiles than the 10mm, but the 10 benefits more from a longer barrel and heavier bullets. Also, self defense ammo is designed to achieve a specific depth of penetration, which is why 9, 40, 45, 10mm, 357sig, 357mag, 38sp all penetrate gelatin to 11-12 inches. Crank each one up to its full power and use a hard cast, a jacketed soft point, a hollow point, etc and then you’ll see wider variation in how they compare to each other.

I like the Glock 40 with the longer barrel.

Comment

I don't wanna get shot with either one. If you live I bet they both hurt equally.

Comment

I’m a bigger is usually better guy, but the .45 ACP is anemic compared to a 10mm if you’re talking about penetration. If you’re talking about frontal area, the .45 gains some ground IMO. Like the Rattler said, I don’t want either one pointed in my direction.

Comment

Good vid. Looks like 45 for price and availability. I’ve been looking at this recently too so it was a timely post, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
              I don’t consider 10mm necessary or the best choice for self defense. To me it is more of a hunting power caliber. Generally as far as power, I think the 45 benefitted more from modern powders and projectiles than the 10mm, but the 10 benefits more from a longer barrel and heavier bullets. Also, self defense ammo is designed to achieve a specific depth of penetration, which is why 9, 40, 45, 10mm, 357sig, 357mag, 38sp all penetrate gelatin to 11-12 inches. Crank each one up to its full power and use a hard cast, a jacketed soft point, a hollow point, etc and then you’ll see wider variation in how they compare to each other.

I like the Glock 40 with the longer barrel.
              Very well said. Most 10mm loads aren’t remotely close to its potential. There’s not a lot of different in most factory 10mm and 45 performance wise. Hand loads or some warm Buffalo Bore or Corbon loads are another story.

Comment

No doubt my 45 super handloads are hotter than standard 10mm store bought in the 185 to 230 gr bullet weights. I think where the 10mm shines is with 155 gr pills pushing 1600 fps but if I need that sort of speed and power I have my 41 rem mag that clocks around that with 265 gr gas checked bullets.

Comment

I have several 45s and one 10mm. The ten with full power loads are the shiznit!! I mainly run Underwood full power 10mm in several different loads. I curently have the 150 HP, the 180 HP and the 220 gr hardcast. My 1911 loves them all. The 150 is a screamer for sure and the 180 won't stop for heavy winter coats so It's a better self defense and the 200/220 hard cast for hunting will knock a ****** in the dirt.

Now, I "need" a Glock 40 MOS...

Comment

Very nice, have always been curious on the .45 vs 10mm debate... i still want a 10mm

Comment

most of the more common 10mm loads have been watered down a lot. for defense or hunting the winchester silvertip at 175 gr and 1290 fps , is the real deal....myself and a buddy have killed deer, hogs, a few large dogs and all kinds of varmints, and had the good fortune to get to shoot up a car with the swat team, the 45 with anything does not match the silvertip loads,,,, with the whimpy loads it is pretty close to the 45 acp,,

i carried one on duty for about 15 years,,, i will take the 10mm with full loads over the 45 anytime,,,

Comment

I am a big fan of the 10mm

Comment

i just like to say 10 millimeter with a german accent .. that alone makes it my choice ! weird i think my 10mm kicks less than my 45 .. snappier but less recoil .. maybe that's just me. still got my glock 20 .. sold my glock 21 ! but i still do have a g30 .. for some reason in 45 i prefer my 1911 .. well crap i'm undecided now ..

Comment

Decisions decisions. Since I roll my own for the 45, I use Starline +P brass and load +P or Super for my carry ammo. 230gr XTP with 8.0 gr Power Pistol and CCI#350 primers that give me a tad over 1000 fps out of my full size RIA 1911. I have a 22lb spring.
                            For target I use the cheap Berry's 230gr plated RN's over 5.1gr W231 and CCI#300 and get 800+fps. Cycles fine with the heavy spring.
                            The only thing is I don't own a 10mm and as for power I really don't need any more than the 45's give me so why in hail do I want one so bad?

Comment

Well dangit! No 10mm this time. Found this laying in the display at Gritr this morning. Couldn't pass it up since I don't already own enough RIA 1911's.
                              Double stack 14+1 Tac Ultra 45. Probably run a hunnert rounds thru it tomorrow to break it in and set the sights for 25 yds. Trigger pull is really good and crisp.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X