Recommend a Gun??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a Gun??

A little back story first. My cousin bought a couple of hundred acres and wants to grow pecan trees. He doesn't hunt and isn't a gun guy (currently doesn't own one). But he HATES pigs and deer. As a result he has asked me to get rid of as many of both as I can (pigs more than deer) which I'm working on. This past weekend I took 2 pig traps out there and showed him how to use them, etc. But he doesn't have a gun in case he goes out there and pigs are in the trap. So long back story to get to the point of I'm thinking about getting him a gun both as repayment for letting me hunt his place and to further help him out. The gun would be used for the following purposes:
    • Shooting pigs in the trap
    • Carrying on the tractor or Mule to shoot pigs as he is working on the farm
    • Possibly a gun for his kids to use in the future to hunt with (they are all under 3 right no so that is a little out)

I would like to stay in the $300 range but could go up if necessary. Since he doesn't care about guns he won't appreciate anything expensive, I'm guessing he will beat it up a little in the tractor, etc so it just needs to be reliable and simple to use. So what gun would you recommend? My initial thought is an open sight 30-30. He won't like a scope and I don't think a scoped rifle would help much they way he would use it anyway. It would have plenty of knock down power and it should do ok with moving shots (pigs running, etc.), he does dove hunt some so he is used to open sight shooting, swinging, etc. The lever action should be pretty easy to use and with the hammer, etc should be fairly safe around his young kids or them using it in the future.

I wanted to check here to see if I'm missing something with this thought process. If so, what do you suggest? If not, anybody got something that fits this description they would be willing to part with or a suggestion for brand, model, etc.? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by cehorn; 07-28-2021, 11:04 AM.

Easy answer to me. Winchester 94. Tough as nails, no scope to knock off and bring plenty of punch

Comment

.22 rimfire of trapped pigs. They will face you so draw imaginary lines from eyes to opposite ears. Where the lines cross on the forehead is your target. Will put the pig down right now.

Comment

The issue is if he doesn't know much about guns, shooting a loud caliber next to a trap may make him uncomfortable and flinch every time. A 22 or 22 mag would be great for this. Lethal and fun to shoot. BUT, trying to kill a hog in the field with the same gun creates an obvious issue. Maybe a cheap .223 for hogs and a small 22 pistol for the trap would be a good way to go.

Comment

lever action 30-30 will be a good option, the only downside I can see is that they are super loud or at least mine is. I guess it is because the barrel is so short.

Comment

Ruger American Ranch rifle in 300 blackout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Doubt $300 will get him a lever gun right now.

But 30-30 dang sure would do the trick.

Someone beat me to it, was going to suggest a 22 mag.

Comment

$300 should get you a Ruger 10/22. It's a good gun, that will kill hogs in a trap just fine, and won't be to loud to spook a newbie. I don't see a newbie nailing hogs on the run anyway.

Comment

If it wasn’t for the last requirement I’d throw a hat in for .17HMR but if they ever plan to do some game animal hunting then that’s out of the question. Maybe a Ruger ranch with a little holo sun red dot on top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

22 mag, the kids can learn on it while they are growing and you can get a suitable hunting rifle later.

Comment

Ruger American or Ruger Precision

Comment

Kilt a few pigs with my 9mm carbine. May not can get one for 3 bills now but my high-point has been great so far. I'm wanting to try one of the kel-tecs now!

Comment

A .22 is all you need, and shoot CCI mini mags.

Comment

12 ga pump. End of discussion

Comment

.22 semi automatic Savage 64 from Walmart for $100. Use the rest of your money for ammo.

Comment

Working...
                              X