TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Hunting Opportunities (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Inks Lake or Powderhorn? (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823968)

Yakinthebox 10-13-2021 04:44 PM

Inks Lake or Powderhorn?

I had written down a bunch of hunt's I could take my daughter to for standby. Between work, my hunt I drew, and her volleyball schedule, only 2 will end up working out. They're Inks lake and Powderhorn.

Why would you pick one over the other? We've never hunted either. I know everyone is going to probably say powderhorn and I know it's awesome. But I'm worried about wasting our time on that and not getting selected. Seems like a ton of folks show for that standby. Anyone have actual testimony from Inks Lake/ Longhorn Caverns hunt?

Thank you for reading or weighing in on this...

ctom87 10-13-2021 04:56 PM

Not much help, but I wonder if it would be worth your time to call up ahead of time and get an idea on how many may not be showing up?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

OldRiverRat 10-13-2021 05:46 PM

Inks is a good hunt
The guys there are great, good box blind WITH FEEDERS. They will take you in and drop you off and pick you up. This one came from inks . 2017 draw hunt
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9f6fa310cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Muddy Bud 10-13-2021 05:52 PM

Definitely Powder Horn. A bigger selection of game.

DUKFVR 10-13-2021 05:59 PM

Powderhorn. More game.

Yakinthebox 10-13-2021 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctom87 (Post 15871523)
Not much help, but I wonder if it would be worth your time to call up ahead of time and get an idea on how many may not be showing up?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

I am already planning to call them both about a week before each hunt. Who knows, we may try to do both. Lol

Yakinthebox 10-13-2021 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldRiverRat (Post 15871594)
Inks is a good hunt
The guys there are great, good box blind WITH FEEDERS. They will take you in and drop you off and pick you up. This one came from inks . 2017 draw hunt
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9f6fa310cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice! Would love love love to put my daughter on a nice buck like this! But honestly, I'd be pumped if she could shoot a doe or a pig too!

Mule Skinner 10-13-2021 09:37 PM

I would bet that you all will have a lot more competition for standby at Powderhorn compared to Inks.

TXOUTLAW 10-13-2021 11:02 PM

You can check the stats from last year and see how many showed up for standby, how many got picked for x number of spots. I would think inks lake is more limited on the number they take over powderhorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackRyan 10-13-2021 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakinthebox (Post 15871637)
Nice! Would love love love to put my daughter on a nice buck like this! But honestly, I'd be pumped if she could shoot a doe or a pig too!

Check out TYHP, fantastic program.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

salth2o 10-13-2021 11:07 PM

Inks lake is a great hunt. Amazing blinds and greet staff. I killed two doe and a hog on my hunt there last year.

I went to Powderhorn last year to try to get a standby spot. 140 other people had the same idea. Needless to say I didnít get picked. However a guy who knew all the staff by name and all the staff knew him by name miraculously got picked.

1riot1ranger 10-13-2021 11:11 PM

Going with your daughter and going standby, go to Inks Lake. It's more established and, not knowing your daughter, possibly more to do in the area if you don't get selected so that you can salvage the weekend. And definitely check out THYP as mentioned. Best program ever!

Mule Skinner 10-13-2021 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salth2o (Post 15872237)
Inks lake is a great hunt. Amazing blinds and greet staff. I killed two doe and a hog on my hunt there last year.

I went to Powderhorn last year to try to get a standby spot. 140 other people had the same idea. Needless to say I didnít get picked. However a guy who knew all the staff by name and all the staff knew him by name miraculously got picked.

****, I hate hearing that.

salth2o 10-14-2021 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mule Skinner (Post 15872278)
****, I hate hearing that.

Yeah. Kind of crappy. Iím a people watcher and knew heíd get picked after seeing their interaction.

Funny thing is the others who got picked were visibly excited. This guy lead different, no reaction like he knew he was getting picked.

WinslowBoy 10-14-2021 09:08 AM

Several things to consider. (1) Draw success: Last year at Powderhorn in 3 hunts there were 98 total youth standbys and only 19 got selected. Not sure if Inks Lake had an either sex hunt last year but their statistics weren't published for this category. I would definitely believe the draw success rate would be greater at Inks.

(2) Ease of hunting for a kid. My only experience is at Inks Lake. Inks is very kid friendly. They drive you to nice box stands. Lots of targets. Fairly short distances on shots. Sounds like Powderhorn is pretty target rich environment as well. Would also consider other "non-hunting" aspects. Lodging/camping arrangements, restaurants/meals, things to see in the area.

Based on standby numbers alone though, I would probably focus more on Inks. As suggested, good to call ahead to get a feel for the probability of getting selected. Just my two cents worth.

jomw10 10-14-2021 09:30 AM

Make sure you call Inks Lake if you decide stand-by over there. I was there about 3 years ago and they wouldn't take stand-by even when there were spots open. This may have changed, but better to call them before driving!.
Powderhorn is great but a lot of stand-bys

gonzotexan 10-21-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jomw10 (Post 15872652)
Make sure you call Inks Lake if you decide stand-by over there. I was there about 3 years ago and they wouldn't take stand-by even when there were spots open. This may have changed, but better to call them before driving!.
Powderhorn is great but a lot of stand-bys

This .....last few years, apparently the manager is a real *****, and doesn't even want to deal with standbys. Have spoke to him twice over the last couple years. He may not be there now, but he won't do standbys if it is still him.

tminc 10-21-2021 11:46 AM

Inks lake for sure

Jzoch 10-21-2021 11:50 AM

I would call ahead of time. We are drawn for Powderhorn and when I talked to Dan the other day, he stated there will only be one standby card for the Gun Deer-Either sex hunt on Nov 2-4.

C-dubyah 10-21-2021 01:36 PM

Honestly, I would go with the best chance of getting picked since they are both cool hunts. I would think Inks Lake would be that one but you will have to research to find out.

venado63 10-21-2021 02:59 PM

Powderhorn, read last years thread if you haven't. Some guys had a very successful hunt.

fish4food 10-21-2021 08:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
^^^ pretty much everyone has a successful hunt. It is a very high success rate hunt with the opportunity to some awesome critters.

brokeno 10-21-2021 08:29 PM

She would definately have better odds of getting drawn as a standby at inks lake than powderhorn.