Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HB957 - ATF response on TX made Suppressors

short version - you still need a stamp

long verson - excerpt from a letter the ATF sent to TX FFL's.
    "The passage of Texas House Bill 957 (HB957), with an effective date of September 1, 2021, has generated questions from industry members as to how this state law may affect them while engaged in a firearms business activity. HB957 claims to exempt silencers (also known as suppressors) that are manufactured in Texas, and which remain in Texas, from Federal firearms laws and regulations, including the federal registration requirements. However, because HB957 directly conflicts with federal firearms laws and regulations, federal law supersedes HB957. In summary, all provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA) and the National Firearms Act (NFA), including their corresponding regulations, continue to apply to FFLs and other persons in Texas.

As you know, 18 U.S.C. § 923 requires a license to engage in the business of manufacturing or dealing in firearms, even if the firearms remain within the same state. All firearms manufactured by a licensee must be properly marked. Additionally, pursuant to 27 CFR § 478.123, each licensee must record the type, model, caliber or gauge, and serial number of each firearm manufactured or otherwise acquired, and the date such manufacture or other acquisition was made. The required information must be recorded in the licensee's records not later than the seventh day following the date such manufacture or other acquisition was made.

In addition to possessing a license under the GCA, 26 U.S.C. § 5801 requires an FFL engaged in the business of manufacturing or dealing in NFA firearms, including silencers, to pay a special occupational tax. Furthermore, an approved ATF Form 4 and Firearms Transaction Record (ATF Form 4473) is required prior to the disposition of an NFA firearm (which under the NFA expressly includes a silencer) to an unlicensed person. The approved Form 4 indicates registration of the firearm/silencer to the transferee in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record. These federal requirements apply regardless of whether the NFA firearm/silencer has crossed state lines."

Booooooo….

Mass noncompliance.

Comment

Is it time for Texas to become a sovereign nation again?

Comment

Hide yo dog.

Comment

So if you don't have an ffl you should be good to go. They should have implemented a TFL. Texas Firearms License issued by the State of Texas.

Comment

Should we expect Texas to respond?

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
              Should we expect Texas to respond?
              We should expect business as usual

Comment

Guinea pig here, who wants to sell me 3? I got cash![emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Defund the ATF!
                  They are law enforcement, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    We should expect business as usual
                    Especially from Dan Patrick. The Texas version of Mitch McConnell. And Lindsey Graham.

Comment

So, then how do states get away with selling narcotics? Aren't they controlled by the ATF also as illegal by Federal definitions? And are other states collecting tax on it from businesses or individuals? Seems two-faced to me.

Comment

Wasn't there something in there about, "Texas would fight the feds over it"?
                        Maybe I'm not remembering right, but I thought there was discussion, that if the FEDS came, Texas would step up for your right to do it.....(?)

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                          Wasn't there something in there about, "Texas would fight the feds over it"?
                          Maybe I'm not remembering right, but I thought there was discussion, that if the FEDS came, Texas would step up for your right to do it.....(?)
                          Some of the red shirts might but all of the blue shirts will throw you under the bus.

Comment

Hmmm wasn’t the federal judge ruling that were waiting on so **** em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So that goes for the sale of Suppressors. What about the guy making one in Texas and it staying in Texas. Sounds like the new Texas law might help a guy like that out.

Comment

Working...
                              X