AC check up/Regularly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC check up/Regularly

With all the AC issues going on I was curious if folks get an AC check up as precautionary or preventative maintenance? I have for probably the last 25 plus years. It may be a waste of money on my part? I am not judging by no means posting out of curiosity. I do realize when one is going to go out it will. Thanks.

Every spring and change filters monthly. Got me two years past warranty.

Comment

Spring AC check up
      Fall HVAC check up

I have them change filters every check up...

Comment

I used to have it done, but seemed like we were wasting money.

But......my AC hasent been blowing as cold recently, so it may not have been a waste.

J

Comment

I used to have it done and they would show up two months after we started using the ac and about the same after we started using the heat. I determined it was a waste of money. I just replaced my entire system for the first time in 25 years, inside and out. I replaced the outside unit at 11 years, one year past warranty.

Comment

Just clean the coils on the outside unit every spring

Comment

I pay for this service. Last year technician said capacitor is getting weak and should probably be replaced the following year. I appreciated his honesty and not trying to up sell me.

This year was the follow up and he said it has gotten worse but still could just wait to go out and give him a call. I said nope, go ahead and replace it because my luck it would go down on 4th of July and all the headaches that would cause.

I will continue to use this company because they have built up the trust factor. AC unit is 7 years old just for reference.

Comment

I replace filters once a month and every few months clean my outside unit.

I have cottonwood trees so cleaning the unit outside is a must.

Comment

I’m kinda bias since my fil is in the business. I’m on their service plan. Every spring and fall. In 15 years with his service my ac has never once gone down. Unit now is only 6 years old and old one was only replaced due to remodel and needed a bigger unit. Installation is everything but without service (weather you or company) their life is limited

Comment

My buddy owns an AC company. He as bi-annual service plans. I use them. They come out in the fall and spring. Think it’s like $150/year. While the work they do I could do myself, the biggest benefit is I get regular hourly rates and priority for any after hours/emergency service calls. I also buy my filters from him in bulk and change monthly. System is 11 years old. It’s had 3 capacitors, two fans, and a control board replaced but keeps on ticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good information thanks for sharing. I keep a very close eye on my drain also due to a mishap from 30 plus years ago. This along with keeping my outside coils clean and changing filters on a monthly basis. I do not have a whole house filter. I like the electric shutoff switch.

Comment

My wife handles the check up since she is home 4 days a week. Not sure of she does it once or twice a year. I believe it is $75. They try to sell us stuff like that uv light, we just say no and they go on their way. Peace of mind is worth it. Same company that did the install. The owner also came out and replaced thermostat. They are good people. JAK ac services out of Keller area.

I am up in the attic changing the filter every 3 months.

Comment

Gilette in San Antonio does our service twice a year, clean the coils and test system in spring
                          Fall test the HVAc for problem and service the gas , ect
                          Well worth the money IMO

Our last a/c service company was worthless, installed a over sized units & messed up the humidity in summer and the heat was oil burning and over size, so super dry

Comment

Reminded me to service mine. Drain line is pretty clogged ugh

Comment

What do these companies do for a AC check up?

BTW - Everyone should have an extra AC capacitor. Buy one off Amazon. Easy to install.

Comment

Working...
                              X