Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
huntresss
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pontotoc, OK
Default Got chiggers? Try this...

...and then let me know if it worked for you too.

Pardon me while I tell the whole story before I get to the point of this thread.

Two nights ago, my husband and I went for a quiet evening ride on our horses and I decided to cut across a neighbor's property to get to our other pasture. As we walked through the tall grass, a fawn jumped right underneath my mare and sent her spinning around. I think I was airborn longer then I was in the saddle and long story short, ended up getting stepped on as my mare bolted (fortunately I wasn't on her when she did a nose dive down the embankment onto the gravel road). I was a bit disoriented and couldn't use my right leg and had to wait while my husband ran home and got a vehicle to pick me up with. Well, as it turns out, that tall grass must've had a fresh crop of chiggers and while I don't have any broken bones (praise God!), I now have the worst case of chiggers I've ever had. My scalp, face, neck....all the way down to between my toes is covered in chigger bites. I've been sleeping with a hairbrush in my hand just to give you an idea of the fun I've been having. Anyways, while talking to my lil sis on the phone, she suggested I try something that helped her with a jellyfish sting she suffered while in Belize. Apparently the locals told her to put Windex on her stings, and she said it gave her immediate relief, so I tried it on the chigger bites. Now I don't know if I just have an overactive imagination, or if the pain meds I'm on are working, but I am convinced that the Windex really helped. Remember, I'm heavily medicated right now for my smashed leg, but I still think the windex worked.

What I'm asking, is for someone else to try this and see if it really works. I used the blue "original" formula Windex brand window cleaner. If it works, come back here and let me know. If it doesn't, well, I guess I just humiliated myself in front of the entire TBH community (but that wouldn't be the first time). So, before I ramble any longer, please someone, try this!

-Cheryl
huntresss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Well, I run across chiggers at least once a year....for full and complete input to the windex, I would need you to share the pain meds for an accurate comparison!!

Seriously, I'll give it try the next time me or the kids get into them....willing to try anything. Only thing worse for me is tick bites, cuz they seem to itch a week or two longer. I'll take one tick bite to being attacked by a dozen chiggers any day!!
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
prkchp
Pope & Young

I'll give it a try, heck we're at the river all the time.....it's a great place to collect chigger bites.
prkchp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
woody wood
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke County

I have heard that ammonia is a pretty good killer of the chiggers but also acted as a disinfectant. I haven't tried but I believe ya
woody wood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
coon007
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Tx and Hill country

after bite is ammonia
coon007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
maglite
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Palo Pinto,county- Erath County

I just found that LYSOL BATHROOM CLEANER works GREAT FOR THEM! It kills 99.9% of bacteria and it KILLS CHIGGERS! I was soooooooo b ad that I poured half a bottle in HOT water and jumped in for ten minutes and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LIFE WAS SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was that or windex so I guess I could have used the windex !!!!!!!!!!!
maglite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Rudey
Administrator

Hunt In: Jack County

Was it in My Big Fat Greek Wedding that the old man used Windex to cure everything?

"Put some Windex on it!"
Old 06-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
burleytx
Four Point

Hunt In: Huntsville

I had a pharmacist tell me to mix bleach and water 50/50 and put that on chiggers. It seems to work. My guess would be it's the amonia in the windex that's working.
burleytx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
double lung
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Paul Mott

i will be a guinea pig next time...

hopefully there wont be a next time....
double lung is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
huntresss
Ten Point

Yep Rudey. My sister said that's exactly what it was like in Belize. Windex cures everything else, so why not chiggers itch?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
DidIDoThat
Six Point

Hunt In: Mills County
Wink

I'll give Windex a try. Now I set in a warm bath with a cup of bleach in it. Does the trick. Of course I dont think I've had em on my neck
DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
Ricky T
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity Riverbottom

Sorry for your spill, Cheryl. Very blessed girl. Will definitely try the Windex. I'll get a "streak-free shine" even if it doesn't knock the chigger itch.
Ricky T is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
jbitt4x4
Pope & Young

Hunt In: FT Hood, TX
Default Chiggers

Sprayed some on my legs and worked pretty great!!!
jbitt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 12:52 AM   #14
grls_hunt2
Ten Point

Hunt In: where the deer and the antelope roam :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
Sprayed some on my legs and worked pretty great!!!
Now if only I could get him to spray some on the windows
grls_hunt2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #15
SPUD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches & Shelby Co; Unit 12 KS

Good ole fashion bleach bath will kill 'em
SPUD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #16
COPPERHEAD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins, Bowie, Lamar Counties

Little critters always get in the worst spots! Will give it a try in the future!
COPPERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 05:25 AM   #17
Tlong
Four Point

wmv video

After the bite, clear fingernail polish works. Just brush some over the spot and let dry.
Tlong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #18
ken
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudey View Post
Was it in My Big Fat Greek Wedding that the old man used Windex to cure everything?

"Put some Windex on it!"
That's what I thought about when I heard this.
ken is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
Firefyter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas

My grandmother (German) would meet us at the car for our family reunions in Walburg with sulphur in pantyhose and dust around our ankles, never got chiggers.
Firefyter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #20
Moose
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood/Wise County

Just an FYI chiggers are not buried in your skin, thats an old wives tale, the red bumps are simply the result of being bitten by them. So there is no need for bleach baths, finger nail polish or whatever else. Just shower well after coming into contact with them and take some anti swelling/itch stuff.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #21
jgirsh
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill County

Im tore up with them from work and the Windex really didnt have an affect on the itching
jgirsh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #22
mako191
Six Point

spray your shoes and pants legs with repel. you will not get them
mako191 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #23
billfromtx
Pope & Young

I use windex on Bee stings...Ant bites...any inscet bite, even jelly fish stings at the beach. The ammonia in it nueralizes the venom..works great
billfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #24
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

Windex will kill ants on contact in your kitchen so you don't need to spray poison. Also flies instead of swatting 'em, and more fun to shoot them with a spray.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #25
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Just an FYI chiggers are not buried in your skin, thats an old wives tale, the red bumps are simply the result of being bitten by them. So there is no need for bleach baths, finger nail polish or whatever else. Just shower well after coming into contact with them and take some anti swelling/itch stuff.

x2.......

If the windex neutralizes jelly fish stings, then I would think it would be neutralizing the enzymes the chiggers inject during their bite..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #26
RedTx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Denton, Wise counties

Good lord you people are a bunch of girly girls, and manly girls. They are chiggers for goodness sakes. They itch and that about it.
RedTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #27
BpsDaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTx View Post
Good lord you people are a bunch of girly girls, and manly girls. They are chiggers for goodness sakes. They itch and that about it.
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

Hey Red, I'll give that a try, maybe it's the ammonia in the Windex, worth a try
BpsDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #28
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Does your banter add value??

Hope you are feeling better today Cheryl!!!
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #29
big papa
Ten Point

Goodness. Sorry to hear that you got hurt and got chiggers. I haven't tried windex but if I ever get chiggers again I will try it. I got into chiggers one time while I was Teal hunting at Lake o' the Pines and I used bleach. It worked but was very rough to deal with.
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #30
huntresss
Ten Point

Well, my husband got one bite behind his knee so I sprayed some Windex on it. He said it "kinda helped" which means it didn't really help, but he didn't want to hurt my feelings. I, on the other hand, have stopped taking the pain killers and am convinced that the Windex is helping, short term anyways.

Thanks for the comments. I'm feeling much better than I should considering what happened. Truly a testimony to the power of prayer. Hmm, come to think of it, I may be giving credit to the Windex instead of accepting another miracle!
Old 06-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #31
acearrow
Ten Point

Bites
Chigger larvae do not burrow into the skin, nor suck blood. They pierce the skin and inject into the host a salivary secretion containing powerful, digestive enzymes that break down skin cells that are ingested (tissues become liquefied and sucked up). Also, this digestive fluid causes surrounding tissues to harden, forming a straw-like feeding tube of hardened flesh (stylostome) from which further, partially-digested skin cells may be sucked out. After a larva is fully fed in four days, it drops from the host, leaving a red welt with a white, hard central area on the skin that itches severely and may later develop into dermatitis. Any welts, swelling, itching, or fever will usually develop three to six hours after exposure and may continue a week or longer. If nothing is done to relieve itching, symptoms may continue a week or more. Scratching a bite may break the skin, resulting in secondary infections. However, chiggers are not known to transmit any disease in this country.
From what I read here, they don't burrow but can remain attached, that is where the polish or other things may come in handy, so you can get them off. I did not know that so i find this very interesting. Google chiggers, there is some pretty neat info there.
By the way, I am sorry to hear about you spill, hope you are feeling better.
acearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #32
tx_dropem
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee County

chiggerex!!!!!! http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10417554 and gold bond recommend both.

Last edited by tx_dropem; 06-21-2009 at 10:43 PM.
tx_dropem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #33
acearrow
Ten Point

I also just read that feeding chiggers can be dislodged by using warm soapy water and just the slightest rubbing or scrubbing. Therefore I guess the nail polish and things like that are not needed at all.
Wow, lived with chiggers all these years and I am just now learning these things.
Thanks for the thread.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #34
acearrow
Ten Point

What can you do to alleviate suffering if these precautions fail? Lotions will relive the itching somewhat, but no substance is completely effective. The only ultimate cure is time, since there is nothing you can do to dislodge the chigger's feeding tube, the true cause of your itch. You must simply wait until your body breaks down and absorbs the foreign object.

In the meantime, local anesthetics such as benzocaine, camphor-phenol and ammonium hydroxide may provide you with several hours of comfort at a stretch. Over-the-counter creams can also help. In rare cases, some people are allergic to chigger bites and require prescription medications from their doctor.

The most popular home remedy for which there is little justification is to dab nail polish on the welt. This cannot "smother" the chigger because it has not burrowed into your skin, and it was probably scratched off long ago. The only benefit to applying a thick coat of nail polish is that it helps to remind you not to scratch the bite.

Just thought I would add this. Sorry to keep going on. Just never knew this before and am finding it fascinating.
last post on the subject
Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #35
billfromtx
Pope & Young

When ever we got chiggers as kids, My dad would tell us to go find us a stingin' scorpion and put it under our armpit and hold it there for 10 seconds...He said we'd forget all about dem chiggers...

Never did try that one...
billfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #36
Deerfeeder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico

Tried windex. no workie Bought Chigger Rid at the drugstore. Workie
Deerfeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #37
DaddyO
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bryan County,Oklahoma land owner

Chiggers for some reason don't bother me to bad! I don't know why....I don't get infected by poison ivy either.
DaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #38
TxGunslinger69
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Bell Co & Ozona

When I was in the Army and we'd come back from a stay in the field covered with chiggers. A cup of Tide in the bathtub and soak for about 15 minutes and your good to go.
TxGunslinger69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #39
jkf123
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I've always put vinegar in a small spray bottle and sprayed it on the itchy parts. I smell like a dinner salad but it helps the itching.
jkf123 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top