Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thoughts from a tree stand...have you ever...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thoughts from a tree stand...have you ever...

has anyone ever set up and shot across a sizeable creek before? i will attach a pic in the next post, it runs through the middle of my place and most of the deer activity i have is on "the other (west) side of the creek" from where my access is.

i have to cross this creek to get to my stand and have had to use my waders several times after a rain. i have also crossed it, getting water in my boots, to then swap socks and boots on the other side. so i thought maybe i could set up a climber or tree stand on the east side, and have my feeder close enough to the creek to shoot when the water is up. i would worry about asking for neighbor access after i shot something.

seems like it would be a cool perch, looking over the creek, and i also think that the deer may be a bit more at ease feeling like they have a natural barrier to danger from that direction...?

The creek in question

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes. Creeks and rivers.

Comment

I've done it. The only problem I had was being close enough to the creek to shoot where I wanted on the other side meant you had to get higher in the tree to avoid detection due to the elevation changes if that makes sense.

Comment

Get u an old cheap flat bottom boat and one oar. Leave it there.

Comment

Not a tree stand but I had a box blind that I hunted in a spot like that. It was great until we got a flood and I lost the stand

Comment

Definitely, feeder & south wind blind were on N/West side of creek, North wind setup was on other S/East side of creek.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                Get u an old cheap flat bottom boat and one oar. Leave it there.
                i have thought about this lol.

Comment

Looks like a perfect spot for a tree saddle! That way you can hide behind the trunk of the tree when the leaves fall. Water will help disrupt thermals carrying your scent. Would be pretty sweet.

Or make a rope swing and set up a camera so we can watch

Comment

Maybe a rope bridge if you didn’t mind the pucker factor.

Comment

Not that big of a creek. Should be easy to shoot across it. Hand feed close to the edge and your gold.

Comment

Or build a small pontoon bridge that rises and falls with water level

Comment

If it's not broke don't fix it, I would keep the set up you have, cut down one of those trees and let it fall over the creek, trim it up and build a bridge, maybe get some wood pallets for free somewhere and use the wood from them. Or the cheap boat is also a good idea.

I have to use a jon boat to get to my best spot on public land in Kansas
                          Last edited by Bassdeer; 01-04-2023, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I used to hunt a place that had similar set up. There was a cable stretched between trees on each side one was ground level and another about head high. Walk on the bottom one and use your hands to balance with the top one. When we would kill something we would tie a rope on it and float it across the creek.

Comment

Yep, done it alot with creeks in Kansas and one time at Hagerman!

Comment

Working...
                              X