RV Campground Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV Campground Ideas

We would like to explore the mountains of Colorado or New Mexico next spring or summer with the 5th wheel. Open to any recommendations for campgrounds worth checking out. We are open to boondocking a few days but full hookups are always nice. Would love a spot or two where we could park right on a creek or river. Anyone have suggestions?

There's 2 RV parks on Hwy 84 just before you get into Pagosa Springs called Pagosa Springs RV park and Last Resort RV Park. Also a place by Chama New Mexico off the river called Sky Mountain Resort RV Park. See if those meet you needs awesome scenery around both places.

Comment

4K River Ranch in Red River, NM or Blue Spruce RV Park on Vallecito Reservoir outside of Bayfield, Co. both are wonderful parks.

First is RR and the second is Blue Spruce.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by captainsling; 07-28-2022, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by Rocksprings2017 View Post
          There's 2 RV parks on Hwy 84 just before you get into Pagosa Springs called Pagosa Springs RV park and Last Resort RV Park. Also a place by Chama New Mexico off the river called Sky Mountain Resort RV Park. See if those meet you needs awesome scenery around both places.
          Good suggestions...we tent camped a couple of nights at PS RV Park with the kids while staying at the in-law's place a few summers back

Up in the San Juans, on Piedra Rd out of Pagosa Springs, Sportsman's Campground gets you close to Piedra Falls as well as incredible views/hiking trails. Depending on the you're there, the falls can be simply beautiful or flat out breathtaking. Either way, its worth the hike up to the falls if you're in the area

Also, Williams Creek Reservoir is a gorgeous place as well

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
            4K River Ranch in Red River, NM or Blue Spruce RV Park on Vallecito Reservoir outside of Bayfield, Co. both are wonderful parks.

First is RR and the second is Blue Spruce.
            100% agree, both those parks are great.

Comment

We just did a round trip from Corpus to Great Sand Dunes NP, Vallecito Reservoir(Vallecito Campground), Durango, and near Mesa Verde. We stayed at the following:

KOA Journey Lubbock(it's a KOA...LOL. Full hookups, decent playground and indoor swimming pool)

Base Camp Family Campground(small, no frills, full hookoups, nice showers you access with a code, and a washeteria, about 20 minutes to Great Sand Dunes NP)

Vallecito Campground(dry camping, no sewer, electricity or water hookups, decent bathrooms and water container fill stations, beautiful area, good fishing, water activities and just relaxing in the woods)

House Creek Campground(uncrowded, electrical only, dump station though and water container fill stations, nice lake, pretty secluded, about 45 minutes from Mesa Verde NP)

Let me say this...if you never thought you could be impressed by sand dunes or stone buildings on the sides of cliffs and caves, then you're like me. Man...I've never seen anything like it and we thoroughly enjoyed our trip to SW Colorado. 13 nights altogether. We also did the Durango/Silverton Narrow Gauge RR round trip and it was incredible. Vallecito area was beautiful. We went over 2 BIG passes at 7800ft and 10,500ft. Some of the prettiest country I've ever seen.
              Last edited by HUNTNETIME; 07-28-2022, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Also, we saw MANY campgrounds along the way. Both private and public and they were VERY NICE. But, many of the private campgrounds were pretty crowded. One of our goals was to go to CO and not be 20' from our nearest neighbor. Mission accomplished. New Mexico roads sucked in some places but the views were amazing.

Comment

Check out Priest Gulch in Dolores CO.

Comment

Want to do the same, in for more recommendations.

Comment

Williams Creek campground no doubt. Has always been my family's go to in the summer.

Following along for more suggestions though.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
                        Let me say this...if you never thought you could be impressed by sand dunes or stone buildings on the sides of cliffs and caves, then you're like me. Man...I've never seen anything like it and we thoroughly enjoyed our trip to SW Colorado. 13 nights altogether. We also did the Durango/Silverton Narrow Gauge RR round trip and it was incredible. Vallecito area was beautiful. We went over 2 BIG passes at 7800ft and 10,500ft. Some of the prettiest country I've ever seen.
                        I'll agree...my first trip, I thought my wife and in-laws were exaggerating things with their descriptions and excitement about it all. They weren't

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                        Williams Creek campground no doubt. Has always been my family's go to in the summer.

Following along for more suggestions though.
                        Isn't it incredible up there? Our kids are burnt out on Colorado but after next year, which will be the "last hurrah" before they turn 18 and might not care to go with us, we will be heading up there with the RV and staying at Williams Creek

Comment

We intended to stay at Road Runner RV Park in Red River for a week and two months later we decided we better get out before the freeze caught us.
                          Parked right by the stream and just couldn’t leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                          X