F150 vs F250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F150 vs F250

I currently drive a F150 V6 ecoboost. Very happy with the truck but was looking to get into a F250 diesel. Both 4WD.

How much more will the F250 cost me in upkeep, etc. I know how to calculate the difference in gas to diesel, but what else?

should I expect an extra 2-5 K per year to drive the 250? basic cost of the truck not included.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Fuel filters $180 every 20 k mikes
    Def $10 per gallon
    Diesel oil change costs more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I change my own oil and it costs a little over $100 with synthetic, now that I say that I havent bought oil in a long time but I used to get Rotella T6 on sale and I bought a ton a few years ago. I assume that cost has gone up. I send in an oil sample to get a diagnosis on the oil and they almost always tell me to run it to 10k-12k miles. Both of my fuel filters cost me $40 and I change them myself.

Tires, plan on spending $1600 when the time comes. The biggest unknown is when you have some sort of failure on the diesel. Nothing is cheap. Fuel system is probably the biggest risk, a complete new fuel system is $10k from what I hear. This can be avoided by using a good fuel additive and filling up at a reliable gas statation.

Comment

Unless you are buying it specifically for towing, I would stick to a F150. I went from a F150 Ecoboost half ton, to a F250 diesel but needed to for towing our camper. I always thought I wanted an F250 until I got one. The F150 was so much smoother and easier to drive around town. The F250 is a tank, it looks good and tows well. I prefer the F150, having had both, other than towing.

Comment

The yearly inspection is cheap. Aside from that...

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
            Def $10 per gallon

How long between oil changes versus a gas truck. I have to do mine every 5000 miles.

Comment

10k miles between oil changes

Comment

Everything on the diesel motor is more expensive! Two batteries vs one and if one goes out you will find it very beneficial to replace Both at the same time with high quality batteries $600! Starters are a lot more expensive along with alternators especially if you want high output on that alternator. I felt safer in my 250 and 350 but if your not toting around a drag up tank full of diesel along with a heavy duty toolbox filled with tools you’ll think it has square tires on it! If your not pulling with it I would advise against it! If you do pull - the diesel is day over night on that half ton - I don’t care what motor and tranny you get in it! If you are going with the 6.7 I would advise to stay with Manu spec motorcraft , I tried RP, Amsoil, retella , delo and eventually went back to the multi- blend with better performance !

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamL View Post
                  I currently drive a F150 V6 ecoboost. Very happy with the truck but was looking to get into a F250 diesel. Both 4WD.

How much more will the F250 cost me in upkeep, etc. I know how to calculate the difference in gas to diesel, but what else?

should I expect an extra 2-5 K per year to drive the 250? basic cost of the truck not included.

Thanks for any help you can give.

If you do your own maintenance the diesel MIGHT cost you $700/yr more.

If you are willing to spend the money on a new F250 you shouldn’t be worried about yearly driving costs. Kinda like buying a custom Holland and Holland double rifle and then asking about the cost of 450 NE ammunition.

Comment

The biggest cost difference will be the $12000 difference for the diesel, which will take 8 plus years to make up pending how much you drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                      Everything on the diesel motor is more expensive! Two batteries vs one and if one goes out you will find it very beneficial to replace Both at the same time with high quality batteries $600! Starters are a lot more expensive along with alternators especially if you want high output on that alternator. I felt safer in my 250 and 350 but if your not toting around a drag up tank full of diesel along with a heavy duty toolbox filled with tools you’ll think it has square tires on it! If your not pulling with it I would advise against it! If you do pull - the diesel is day over night on that half ton - I don’t care what motor and tranny you get in it! If you are going with the 6.7 I would advise to stay with Manu spec motorcraft , I tried RP, Amsoil, retella , delo and eventually went back to the multi- blend with better performance !
                      Which weight Motorcraft oil you land on ?

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                        Def $10 per gallon

DEF is $3.86 at the pump.....Travelers DEF at tractor supply is around $12 for 2.5 gallons.

5 gallons of DEF can last me 5k miles if I'm not towing or burning up the highway
                        Last edited by txtrophy85; 06-01-2022, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I can't tell you how much more a year a diesel will cost.....i would say $5k is a good number to expect.

But you get a premium when you sell it vs. a gas truck.

I like the 3/4 ton platform for its beefier componants but i will say a 1/2 ton Ford is a stoutly built truck.

The interior room is the same, where a diesel shines is towing, especially in hills. I was contemplating moving to a 1/2 diesel two weeks ago then had to pull my Tractor about 400 miles and at 10k lbs was glad i had the diesel going up the hills thru Kerrville.

If you are not towing anything heavy/towing long distances I would say stick to a half-ton, as you won't be gaining anything vs. getting a diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                            DEF is $3.86 at the pump.....Travelers Def. at tractor supply is around $12 for 2.5 gallons.

5 gallons of DEF can last me 5k miles if I'm not towing or burning up the highway
                            Not to mention the filters run about $48-50 and take 10 minutes at most to swap, and that’s if I’m enjoying a cold one while the separator drains.

Comment

On the Def, don’t go cheap and with a knock- off brand !

Comment

Working...
                              X