Snake handler killed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake handler killed.

Eugene De Leon was bit on the shoulder during a show in Freer.

That's sad to hear

In no way do I intend to be disrespectful but the phrase "play stupid games win stupid prizes" comes to mind.

Comment

Do they not keep antivenom on hand when doing this stuff?

Comment

Growing up in Freer, the Round Up was the biggest event of the year we looked forward to back in the 70's and 80's.
        I'm surprised accidents like this haven't occurred more often.
        My brother texted me yesterday to inform us of the tragic incident.
        He was told Mr De Leon collapsed shortly after being bitten.
        Is it possibly the fang hit the artery??

Comment

I witnessed a bite there back in the day, the guy slid into a sleeping bag with them and got bit. I don’t understand why folks get a thrill by that stuff . I feel bad for his friends and family. RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
            I was a snake handler for years and when we were putting on a Roundup we would let the local hospital know to be prepared for venomous snake bites. Never happened though.
            On the other hand, I had to wear a alert bracelet just in case because I’m allergic to anti venom so I’ve just got to tough it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
              My understanding is not all hospitals even have it on hand.

Comment

I don't understand why anyone would do that. Prayers sent for his family.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                  My understanding is not all hospitals even have it on hand.
                  have heard that as well.
                  But isn't dying from a snakebite here in the US actually pretty rare? (Rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                    I was a snake handler for years and when we were putting on a Roundup we would let the local hospital know to be prepared for venomous snake bites. Never happened though.
                    On the other hand, I had to wear a alert bracelet just in case because I’m allergic to anti venom so I’ve just got to tough it out.
                    I am curious to hear how you learn you are allergic to antivenom. I assume there is only one way but I am curious to hear it.

Comment

Is it common for these guys to hold a snake up at shoulder level like that?

Comment

When the "Hey y'all watch this" ends tragically.. It can happen.

Sad deal all the way around.
                        Prayers for the family..

Comment

Some bites may take dozens of vials to survive. Depends on the victim, the type of venom (neurotoxin or hemotoxin) size of the viper or amount of envenomation. I have no idea how much of that the insurance company would pick up either. Personally I don’t think they should be responsible for an individual behaving irresponsibly be it a rattlesnake roundup or snake handlers in a church service. Some body is footing the bill and it’s probably the tax payers.
                          My son and I go to reptile shows and I am absolutely amazed that Joe Average can go to a show and purchase a Bushmaster, King Cobra, Diamondbacks, virtually any type of viper. You gotta hope they don’t get out and injure or kill the neighbors. Crazy stuff.

Comment

I wanted to feel bad for him but agree with post #2. Feel bad for his family though.
                            Left Texas 6 years ago but when I read this, first thing I thought was to go to TBH and see what others are saying.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                              I am curious to hear how you learn you are allergic to antivenom. I assume there is only one way but I am curious to hear it.
                              I’m allergic to tetanus shots and anti venom is made the same way. It’s an animal serum derivative and those are a no no for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X