Stick welder project - need some info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick welder project - need some info

I just picked up an old Century 230 amp stick welder. It came with no leads, but was a deal I couldn't pass up.

I need to make up a set of leads for it. From what I can tell, the leads use 3/8" cable plugs into the machine. But what size wire do I need? 2 AWG, 4 AWG, 6 AWG?

I'll need the rod clamp holder and a ground clamp.
    Just looking for ideas.

I'd go w/ the 2 AWG, I'm no expert, but I think it's the minimum size I'd use.

Comment

How long are you going to make them?

Comment

Less than 50' #2 would be ok
        50-100' 1/0
        100'+ 2/0

Comment

I don't plan to make them any longer than about 15', maybe 20' max. This welder will be for home use, with the occasional trip out to the deer lease and run off a generator if really needed.

Comment

Here is the welder. $20!
            (Sorry about the sideways pic)
            Attached Files

Comment

I know I had some lead cable but I couldn't find it today. I'll look again tomorrow.

Comment

I would get at least 50' of lead. You will be amazed at how often you will need the extra length.

Comment

I sure wish that I had made my leads longer than 25 feet. There have been lots of times that another ten feet would have made the job much easier.

Comment

Shorter than 50ft wont allow them to get tanged properly. You need at least that much for a good knot to hang up on everything.

Comment

Circling back around to this welder questions thread...

The welder has been working great, but I had to return the big power extension cord I was borrowing so that I could plug into my electric dryer outlet. Our laundry room is the first room coming in from the garage, but the power cord for the welder is only about 4' long.

I'd like to make up or get an extension cord. But I want it to be something that will roll up easily for storage. The extension I was using (borrowed) was the type with hard copper wire so rolling it up was an absolute pain...

Question: would a 50A, 120/240V RV power cord be sufficient to run for power to the welder?

I'm only needing 20 ft max. so I'm trying to figure out what my options would be and looking for some advice.

Comment

If you have a welding supply shop that would be the best place to go.
                        they have reals of cable and can cut to what every length you want
                        You can also go to tractor supply and can real off what you need.
                        They have clamps for the ends also. Not sure if tractor supply has the ends that
                        plug in to the welder

Comment

Just make sure you use the right rods for your projects!!!

Comment

Lucky for you !
                            You’ve come to the right place for welding advice.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                              Lucky for you !
                              You’ve come to the right place for welding advice.
                              That’s funny. All the welders are in the smoke pen right now afraid to give any advice. Including me.🤣🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Working...
                              X