Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Bone Broth Experts Unite!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a few years worth of Venison shoulders, femurs, and some shanks for good measure to throw in a pot. I was recently told that a pressure cooker destroys a lot of the nutrients and that I should just go low and slow in a pot on simmer for about a day.

Anyone know if this is true? I don't mind putting in the extra work to do it right. Never done it before.

My plan is to roast up salted meaty bones and leeks. Add bay, maybe some thyme or rosemary, some pepper corns and carrots. Chop up the cooked bones with a hatchet before going in the pot, then cover with water.

I would go low and slow to avoid evaporation and losing what you want to keep. If it were me I would go no less than 8 hours at a very low simmer covered. Good luck with it.

Comment

I make beef stock all the time. Definitely low and slow, like barely a simmer. I add onions, carrots, celery, and whatever herbs you like. I prefer thyme and a couple of cloves of whole garlic, sometimes mushrooms as well.

Comment

We make bone broth a few times q year. If you got the time, low and slow. Not only is the broth awesome, but the smell is fantastic.

I've not heard any issue with using a pressure cooker either.

Comment

I should buy a lotto ticket. Alton Brown is on right now. Good Eats reloaded making bone broth with a pressure cooker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry to divert your question, but since it has been answered, all of us want to know…well…I do!

How do you pronounce your screen name?

What does it mean?

…and how do you type that funny looking A?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              Sorry to divert your question, but since it has been answered, all of us want to know…well…I do!

What does it mean?

I think æ is the phonetic symbol for the aah sound such as in cat.

Typed by using the Æ key.

Actually it is the “a” key. Many keys you can touch and hold and it will give you options on which version of the letter you want to use.

Such as for O we have options like ô ó œ ō, etc.

Press and hold A such as æ. If you want Æ, make sure to hit the Shift key first.

Clear as mud?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

What does it mean?

Its Old English/Norse. That letter is the Romanized alphabet version of the Ash rune. It makes the same sound as the A in Adam. The th is voiced as like how it’s pronounced in the word “that” not like the way its pronounced in the word “thought”. The term indicates Anglo Saxon Royalty originally descended from Woden/Odin; specifically in line for the throne.

Anglo Saxon Kings and Queens had names such as Lady Ætheflæd and King Æthelred (modernized Alfred).

Im not claiming Anglo Saxon Royalty but I am a huge scholar of my Germanic ancestry from the Norman Invasion back to the Proto Indo European migrations from the Eurasian Steppes.

If you have an Iphone and you hold down the letter A all foreign European variations appear and you can select what you want. The ash rune is still used in Icelandic so available.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

Actually it is the “a” key. Many keys you can touch and hold and it will give you options on which version of the letter you want to use.

Press and hold A such as æ. If you want Æ, make sure to hit the Shift key first.

Clear as mud?
                    I allways wondered how to make an umlaut...thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                      I think those grow on a bush, looking like little oranges or lemons.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post

Sometimes when I’m writing things in Vietnamese, I use modified letters.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

Clear as mud?
                          Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                          Its Old English/Norse. That letter is the Romanized alphabet version of the Ash rune. It makes the same sound as the A in Adam. The th is voiced as like how it’s pronounced in the word “that” not like the way its pronounced in the word “thought”. The term indicates Anglo Saxon Royalty originally descended from Woden/Odin; specifically in line for the throne.

Anglo Saxon Kings and Queens had names such as Lady Ætheflæd and King Æthelred (modernized Alfred).

Im not claiming Anglo Saxon Royalty but I am a huge scholar of my Germanic ancestry from the Norman Invasion back to the Proto Indo European migrations from the Eurasian Steppes.

If you have an Iphone and you hold down the letter A all foreign European variations appear and you can select what you want. The ash rune is still used in Icelandic so available.

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post

Clear as Biden's speeches! Thanks.

Comment

Are you supposed to simmer them for a whole day? I’ve just started making broth, did the ham bone day after Christmas and only did 3 hours

Was it not enough?? The cabbage and black eye peas had great flavor from it on New Years

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                              Are you supposed to simmer them for a whole day? I’ve just started making broth, did the ham bone day after Christmas and only did 3 hours

Was it not enough?? The cabbage and black eye peas had great flavor from it on New Years

Alton brown did a large chicken for 45 minutes in a pressure cooker. Says simmer equivalent is 6 hours. I don’t know if the time scales to weight.

Ham bone is already full of flavor so doesn’t take much.

Comment

Working...
                              X