Spray NOW for Sandburs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spray NOW for Sandburs!

The preemergent thread reminded me - if you had sandburs at any time last year, spray a pre-emergent now.

For pastures, I highly recommend Rezilon. You will need 1/2" of rain to wash it in, but it is resilient for 6 weeks and has a 6 month residual.

For home yard - Preemergence herbicides include Surflan (oryzalin), Pendulum (pendimethalin) or Barricade (prodiamine). A second preemergence application 60 days after the first will be beneficial.

Treating is preemergent is much better and easier than with a post emergent.
    Last edited by Dusty Britches; 02-08-2022, 08:41 AM.

I use pre emergent at my house, but a pre emergent at the hunting cabin has sticker burrs. WIll a pre emergent kill these?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      I use pre emergent at my house, but a pre emergent at the hunting cabin has sticker burrs. WIll a pre emergent kill these?
      What is a sticker burr? Are you referring to a cocklebur?

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
        What is a sticker burr? Are you referring to a cocklebur?
        sandbur

Comment

Tagged fer later.

Tracey, these available at TSC?

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            The preemergent thread reminded me - if you had sandburs at any time last year, spray a pre-emergent now.

For pastures, I highly recommend Rezilon. You will need 1/2" of rain to wash it in, but it is resilient for 6 weeks and has a 6 month residual.

For home yard - Preemergence herbicides include Surflan (oryzalin), Pendulum (pendimethalin) or Barricade (prodiamine). A second preemergence application 60 days after the first will be beneficial.

Treating is preemergent is much better and easier than with a post emergent.
            I was loaded with sticker burs this year, hit it with rezillon? Then what else will help rest year

I sprigged coastal last year and it started coming in but I had / have a ton of weeds. Hit it with 2-4D twice but any other suggestions I’d take
            Last edited by EastTexasMan; 02-08-2022, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I think it’s a little early if you are north of I 20.

Comment

For now, the pre-emergent is the way to go. Rezilon has a 6 month residual, so in 6 months spray it again. Keep in mind, the max you should apply per year is 6 oz and the minimum is 3oz per application. Don't spray 4 oz now and think you will be ok to spray 3 - 4 oz in 6 months. You will damage your Bermuda grass.

I'm not sure if TSC has Rezilon. I buy from Producers Co-Op and Aurora out of Rose Bud. I'm sure they have the turfgrass herbicides and Prowl so I don't see why they would not have Rezilon.

Unless you have bare soil, I do not recommend Prowl. Prowl specifically says, must be applied to bare soil. It sticks very well to soil and it dissolves in the sun when on grass, which means it never gets to the soil.

Depending on where you are, you may want to follow up with a post emergent such as Pastora in mid March to mid April. Sand burs germinate at soil temperature of 52 degrees which can be as early as March 1 but is generally around March 15. After that, watch very carefully for sprouting sandburs. When they are about 2" tall (half a hand width) you will want to spray. In my area, this is generally around the end of March. South Texas will be earlier, north Texas a little later.

For turfgrass, here's a good article by Texas A&M Agrilife Extension. Do not spray MSMA of DSMA in grazing pastures. It will stick to the grasses and is toxic to horses and cattle. Texas A&M Vet Med Diagnostic Lab has an article on that, too.

Comment

Thanks for the post, Tracey. Dean and I were just discussing this very subject last week. We were unsure how long the herbicide would remain viable before it got rain and you’ve answered our question!

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                    If you think its too early, you are on time with pre-emergents. If you think you are on time, you are too late. If the ground is frozen, it is probably too early. I'm not sure I mentioned this, but Rezilon has a 6 month residual.

With our ongoing drought conditions, I sprayed 2 weeks ago to make sure I caught 1/2" of rain.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                      I agree with you. The farther south you live, the earlier it will need to be applied. I am going to aerate my lawn and put mine down in the next 10 days. Just remember that it`s better to get it down a little early than to be day late, plus if you put down the granular form, it will need to be watered in thoroughly.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                        I agree with you. The farther south you live, the earlier it will need to be applied. I am going to aerate my lawn and put mine down in the next 10 days. Just remember that it`s better to get it down a little early than to be day late, plus if you put down the granular form, it will need to be watered in thoroughly.
                        I go off what Neil Sperry says and hasn’t said anything about it yet. But, I know he’s had some health issues. With the cold weather we’ve had it’s just too early up north. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                          For now, the pre-emergent is the way to go. Rezilon has a 6 month residual, so in 6 months spray it again. Keep in mind, the max you should apply per year is 6 oz and the minimum is 3oz per application. Don't spray 4 oz now and think you will be ok to spray 3 - 4 oz in 6 months. You will damage your Bermuda grass.

I'm not sure if TSC has Rezilon. I buy from Producers Co-Op and Aurora out of Rose Bud. I'm sure they have the turfgrass herbicides and Prowl so I don't see why they would not have Rezilon.

Unless you have bare soil, I do not recommend Prowl. Prowl specifically says, must be applied to bare soil. It sticks very well to soil and it dissolves in the sun when on grass, which means it never gets to the soil.

Depending on where you are, you may want to follow up with a post emergent such as Pastora in mid March to mid April. Sand burs germinate at soil temperature of 52 degrees which can be as early as March 1 but is generally around March 15. After that, watch very carefully for sprouting sandburs. When they are about 2" tall (half a hand width) you will want to spray. In my area, this is generally around the end of March. South Texas will be earlier, north Texas a little later.

For turfgrass, here's a good article by Texas A&M Agrilife Extension. Do not spray MSMA of DSMA in grazing pastures. It will stick to the grasses and is toxic to horses and cattle. Texas A&M Vet Med Diagnostic Lab has an article on that, too.
                          Good info! Thanks!

Comment

So, I live in Flour Bluff(Corpus Christi), the UNDISPUTED CHAMPION of sandbur country. Had them BAAAAAD last year. Our soil is nearly 100% sand.

Are these still valid for this type of soil?

"For home yard - Preemergence herbicides include Surflan (oryzalin), Pendulum (pendimethalin) or Barricade (prodiamine). A second preemergence application 60 days after the first will be beneficial."

Comment

I live in the bluff also and use Pendulum with good results.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X