Son shot a old toad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son shot a old toad

Hunting for the first year in a 13" county in the top part of the hill country. Not bow hunting this year. We have some really good deer low fence and 130 to 150 inch deer. But this deer is by far the oldest and needed to go. I was not sure as I have never had to worry about the spread. So we have seen him on the hoof and gotten game camera pictures. So I did the right thing and reached out to the GW. He agreed 100% he need to be shot and gave us the ok. Said if it was less than 13" he would just get a warning. So yesterday being the last day my son could hunt this year as HS basketball season is starting. It was getting late abou 8:15 am and we were talking about how hard he has hunted so far this season and I here him say "dad big deer" so I look in the direction and said that's him. So we scramble to get ready and at this time the deer has circled to the back of the feed pen and quartered to us. He is in the alert mode and locked right on us. Son was on him and let it rip. Deer ran 60 yards and done. He ended up being 12 3/4 and as the GW requested if the deer was shot to call him out. He showed up and visited for a while. Then measured the buck and told my son great job as that deer needed to go. Wrote a warning and explained to him that it means nothing just a formal procedure as we had his permission to shoot. When trying to manage your heard always let the GW know it you have mature deer that is hurting your management process. Not all of them would give you the ok but they are one of your best contacts while in the woods. They are here to help. I always save the local wardens number in my phone for the county I hunt. Hope everyone is having a great season so far.

Roy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bowhunter911; 11-22-2021, 11:04 AM. Reason: pics

Congrats!

Comment

Good deal. Congrats.

Comment

Congratulations!! That’s a good buck!

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice looking buck. Congratulations to your son!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats to him and you too Dad!

Comment

well done, all around! Your son, GW, and yourself!

Comment

That deer is thicc

Comment

Great Buck.....Congrats!!

Comment

He’s chunky ! Congrats !

Comment

Congrats!
                            Out of curiosity, did you or the GW check age via jawbone? Only asking because I'm pretty unsure of his age based on those pics since he's so fat haha. 6.5?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                              Congrats!
                              Out of curiosity, did you or the GW check age via jawbone? Only asking because I'm pretty unsure of his age based on those pics since he's so fat haha. 6.5?
                              We both looked at teeth and they are pretty worn down. I will be doing a euro so once I cut the jaw out I will get a better look.

Comment

Working...
                              X