Zeiss V4 vs. Leupold VX-5HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zeiss V4 vs. Leupold VX-5HD

Assuming price for each is roughly the same I would some thoughts and opinions on the two if anyone has any experience.

Thank you.

Both are great but you. Need to look through both of them to see which works best with your eyes.

Comment

I was looking at those exact same scopes about a month ago. Never pulled the trigger and have dragged my feet wver since.

Comment

I just dealt with the same and ended up with the Zeiss. Lots of info on Rokslide. Bottom line is the glass clarity is a toss up, but the Zeiss is ahead in terms of holding zero/tracking/durability. I say that as someone who owns at least 7 Leupold’s.

The locking turret on the Leupold’s would be nice, but the Zeiss has a solid zero stop, just need to make sure you check it.

If you go Zeiss, check out Red Hawk Rifles demo scopes. Retail on mine was $1,149 I paid $799. Looks like it has never been mounted, I think they use these at shows.
        Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 10-12-2021, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
          I just dealt with the same and ended up with the Zeiss. Lots of info on Rokslide. Bottom line is the glass clarity is a toss up, but the Zeiss is ahead in terms of holding zero/tracking/durability. I say that as someone who owns at least 7 Leupold’s.

The locking turret on the Leupold’s would be nice, but the Zeiss has a solid zero stop, just need to make sure you check it.

If you go Zeiss, check out Red Hawk Rifles demo scopes. Retail on mine was $1,149 I paid $799. Looks like it has never been mounted, I think they use these at shows.
          I'd like to echo some of the things said here. I've spent quite a bit of time with both the VX-5 and the Zeiss V4. I own the Zeiss. A couple of my thoughts.

Like gatorgrizz said, the glass to me is a toss up as well. Both a very good and my eyes can't see much of a difference.

I really like the exposed locking windage turret of the V4. I like to do some target shooting with mine, and the ability to easy dial windage with a tactical turret is nice (even though I hold more often than not).

Along those same lines, I really like the ZMOA-T30 reticle. It's not too busy for hunting, but has enough advantages for long range shooting to make it usable. The illumination is just the center crosshair, and has different intensity settings using a roller knob. Seems solid, if you're into that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyag15 View Post
            I'd like to echo some of the things said here. I've spent quite a bit of time with both the VX-5 and the Zeiss V4. I own the Zeiss. A couple of my thoughts.

Like gatorgrizz said, the glass to me is a toss up as well. Both a very good and my eyes can't see much of a difference.

I really like the exposed locking windage turret of the V4. I like to do some target shooting with mine, and the ability to easy dial windage with a tactical turret is nice (even though I hold more often than not).

Along those same lines, I really like the ZMOA-T30 reticle. It's not too busy for hunting, but has enough advantages for long range shooting to make it usable. The illumination is just the center crosshair, and has different intensity settings using a roller knob. Seems solid, if you're into that sort of thing.

I appreciate the insight here. I'm just looking at the plain ol' Z-plex for hunting as I don't do any long range shooting at all.

My biggest concern is that windage turret, which I guess is the one on the very top. Is it complicated to use? Or do you even have to use it? Since I'm not shooting long distances I really don't need that feature, but it looks like you almost can't get a good scope without something like it (and the Leupold CDS thing as well).

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
              I appreciate the insight here. I'm just looking at the plain ol' Z-plex for hunting as I don't do any long range shooting at all.

My biggest concern is that windage turret, which I guess is the one on the very top. Is it complicated to use? Or do you even have to use it? Since I'm not shooting long distances I really don't need that feature, but it looks like you almost can't get a good scope without something like it (and the Leupold CDS thing as well).
              Elevation is the top one. Wind on the side. You don’t have to use one. I’d suggest finding a locking one if you’re not used to looking at them.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                I’d suggest finding a locking one if you’re not used to looking at them.
                Same.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  Elevation is the top one. Wind on the side. You don’t have to use one. I’d suggest finding a locking one if you’re not used to looking at them.
                  Locking turrets? Are those sold as aftermarkets?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                    Locking turrets? Are those sold as aftermarkets?
                    On the newer model Zeiss V4, locking windage comes standard. The VX-5 is capped. So no worries about bumping either one.

The CDS ZL elevation turret is locking. The Zeiss V4 enjoys a good zero stop like the VX-5 does, but the turret does not lock. However, in my experiences, bumping elevation turrets doesn't happen very often (never say never). Can't say the same on elevation. I've got an older model Leupold tactical scope with an exposed windage turret and that **** thing gets bumped way too much for my liking.

Comment

I only have experience with the Vx5hd but it is an absolutely phenomenal scope

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                        I only have experience with the Vx5hd but it is an absolutely phenomenal scope
                        Same here. Put a VX5 on APR build last year and it's nice.

Comment

You can get the V4 in a 4-16x44 without exposed turrets and a duplex reticle if you want.

It looks like Red Hawk Rifles is out of that combination, they have the Z-plex with the exposed elevation turret, or the ZBi with capped turrets.

If you’re ok with a 56mm objective the 3-12’s have capped turrets also.
                          Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 10-15-2021, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X