What's a trophy pig weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a trophy pig weight?

I know a trophy can be your first pig etc...

What, in your opinion, is a lifetime goal weight wise
    For trad gear
    For compound
    For rifle

Where I hunt IMO it would be
    230 - Seem to see a few too many 215-225 pounders
    and 300 - I'd like to say more than 300 but here near San Saba I've never seen a true 300# pig on a scale. I think I've seen 2 that I swore were over but??

After shooting tons of 250lb+ pigs I now personally consider a trophy pig regardless of the method it was taken to be 300lb+ or to have really nice cutters. Thats what I'm shooting for now.... we don't have the big cutter genetics where I hunt and my largest pig to date so far was 298lb so I still got some work to do!

Comment

Anything over 250 is still a good pig though and anything under is nothing special unless it has good cutters.

Comment

Everyone has killed a 300# pig don’t ya know? Just look at the threads on TBH
        All I can say is a 300# feral hog..is a big one!

Comment

275lbs plus with a bow.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Filthy McNasty 1 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	24661237

Comment

My wife's Crossbow Pig, weighed 303 on the scale hanging. First pig I officially saw over 300!

Name:	Kelly Crossbow Pig.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	24661238

Comment

I would set the mark at 250+ with teeth.

-john

Comment

250 plus with good cutters!

Comment

I truly believe that any pig with a bow is a trophy! Any pig over 200lbs is a pretty good mark. GREAT cutters no matter what size. . .

Comment

40oz.

Name:	bacon.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	472.8 KB
ID:	24661239

Comment

I can't imagine getting a 250# boar with trad gear. That's why IMO a trophy for trad is lower. I don't trad hunt either BTW.

But those are some nice pigs being posted. Keep em coming.

Comment

5 to 10 pounds fit on a grill hole. I've killed 2 in my lifetime that went over 300. Ive got one on the wall with excellent cutters.. The are rare. When I ran dogs we sometimes caught 20 hogs a week. I don't care much about killing (keeping) them anymore.

Comment

300. I’ve yet to reach it

Comment

One may be a bit bigger.
                            Attached Files

Comment

In my opinion a 225lb boar is a trophy if he has good cutters! Here is a good one 250# my wife shot with her crossbow 2 years ago and a pic of one she shot with her .243 and we never recovered. He was a huge thick sucker with huge cutters! I seen him one time bow hunting but couldn't get a shot on him!. I definitely wanna shoot a 300lber one day! Everyone we have killed that I thought would go 300# have all went 240-250. I killed one with a .308 to the ear hole that it took 4 grown men to load but we didn't have a scale. I did do a euro on that one though. I don't how many we have killed the last several years, but only 2 I would consider trophies.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X