Confusing Regs: Bringing Meat home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusing Regs: Bringing Meat home

So I'm going to CO in a few weeks and I want to understand the rules on meat coming home with me. Here's the regs from the TPWD website concerning carcass movement from potential CWD areas (STate of CO applies here, I believe):

*No CWD-susceptible species carcasses or parts of carcasses can enter Texas from a state or country known to have CWD, and no CWD-susceptible species carcasses or parts of carcasses can be transported out of a CWD Zone EXCEPT:*

> Cut quarters with all brain and spinal cord tissue removed
    > Boned meat/cut and wrapped — Texas regulations do not allow processing beyond quarters until reaching your final destination (possessor’s personal residence or commercial facility/private cold storage).
    >Caped hides with skull not attached
    >Skull plate with antlers attached and cleaned of all soft tissue
    >Finished taxidermy products
    >The skinned or unskinned head of a susceptible species may be transported to a taxidermist (with a Deer Head Waiver), provided all brain material, soft tissue, spinal column and any unused portions of the head are disposed of in a landfill in Texas permitted by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). The waiver should be kept on your person or with the deer head until it reaches the taxidermist. Download the Deer Head Waiver form (PWD 1410) to transport the intact head or obtain from a TPWD CWD check station.
    >Hunters bringing intact deer heads into Texas from a state or country with CWD should also have this waiver.

Help me interpret this bolded section. Does this mean I can bring boned out meat home so long as it was harvested in another state? Or does Texas say I can't bring ANY game home without keeping meat on the bones? I understand that animals killed in Texas have to remain on quarters till at final destination.

The entire list is of exceptions to the transportation ban of carcasses, so at first pass I read it that I can bring home a deer under any of the following conditions. One of which is titled as boned meat/cut and wrapped. Then it turns around and says that boned meat/cut and wrapped is prohibited. Which is it? And as an aside, why are we prohibited from boning out meat? Anyone ever tried hauling an elk out solo? You ditch those bones awful fast.

I bet you would get 10 different answers from 10 different game wardens. As long as bones, spinal tissue, and brain matter from CWD area are disposed of properly per the governing agency where the animal was killed I wouldn’t worry about it all that much. Every state is different, and there’s no way you can drive through multiple states carrying an animal you killed without breaking some rule or law, unless you take said animal to closest processor to kill site then they ship you the meat once it’s processed.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
      So I'm going to CO in a few weeks and I want to understand the rules on meat coming home with me. Here's the regs from the TPWD website concerning carcass movement from potential CWD areas (STate of CO applies here, I believe):

*No CWD-susceptible species carcasses or parts of carcasses can enter Texas from a state or country known to have CWD, and no CWD-susceptible species carcasses or parts of carcasses can be transported out of a CWD Zone EXCEPT:*

> Cut quarters with all brain and spinal cord tissue removed
      > Boned meat/cut and wrapped — Texas regulations do not allow processing beyond quarters until reaching your final destination (possessor’s personal residence or commercial facility/private cold storage).
      >Caped hides with skull not attached
      >Skull plate with antlers attached and cleaned of all soft tissue
      >Finished taxidermy products
      >The skinned or unskinned head of a susceptible species may be transported to a taxidermist (with a Deer Head Waiver), provided all brain material, soft tissue, spinal column and any unused portions of the head are disposed of in a landfill in Texas permitted by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). The waiver should be kept on your person or with the deer head until it reaches the taxidermist. Download the Deer Head Waiver form (PWD 1410) to transport the intact head or obtain from a TPWD CWD check station.
      >Hunters bringing intact deer heads into Texas from a state or country with CWD should also have this waiver.

Help me interpret this bolded section. Does this mean I can bring boned out meat home so long as it was harvested in another state? Or does Texas say I can't bring ANY game home without keeping meat on the bones? I understand that animals killed in Texas have to remain on quarters till at final destination.

The entire list is of exceptions to the transportation ban of carcasses, so at first pass I read it that I can bring home a deer under any of the following conditions. One of which is titled as boned meat/cut and wrapped. Then it turns around and says that boned meat/cut and wrapped is prohibited. Which is it? And as an aside, why are we prohibited from boning out meat? Anyone ever tried hauling an elk out solo? You ditch those bones awful fast.
      LOL...ya, it's confusin' as hail! I'm printing out a couple forms to keep in my truck ( skinned head coming home for euro ) and I ain't packing out any bones.

Comment

It says BONED MEAT MUST BE CUT AND WRAPPED. So take ya some paper, wrap like it is final, then take it home and unwrap and do what you please.

Comment

You are not prohibited from boning meat. Quarters are muscle groups and bones are irrelevant. You are prohibited from breaking it down beyond quarters (as into individual cuts) and packaging it. This rule exists so Wardens can identify the sex/number of animals being transported.

You can transport packaged meat if you had it processed by a licensed facility (they keep you tag/animal info on file). You can also transport packaged meat (with a transfer doc) from your home to donation location or to your home if someone donated meat to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll be there in a few weeks too. Guess I need to study up because I did not plan to completely skin the head before coming back. Makes sense with the brain matter.

Comment

Its a misprint. It means to say BONER meat. You gotta cut the tallywhacker off and keep it on the truck dash until you get home.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                It says BONED MEAT MUST BE CUT AND WRAPPED. So take ya some paper, wrap like it is final, then take it home and unwrap and do what you please.
                I read it as exactly the opposite.
                We had a big thread on the bolded portion, last yr I believe.
                If within the state of Texas, you must leave the quarters whole, until you reach your final destination.
                Coming from out of state, I do not believe this applies.
                We were stopped outside Dalhart last yr, and the Texas GW had no issues with bones in the meat.
                He saw horns and stopped us to make sure the skull was cleaned out.
                He did tell us if we were going into AR all bones had to be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                  I read it as exactly the opposite.
                  We had a big thread on the bolded portion, last yr I believe.
                  If within the state of Texas, you must leave the quarters whole, until you reach your final destination.
                  Coming from out of state, I do not believe this applies.
                  We were stopped outside Dalhart last yr, and the Texas GW had no issues with bones in the meat.
                  He saw horns and stopped us to make sure the skull was cleaned out.
                  He did tell us if we were going into AR all bones had to be removed.
                  Does the waiver not let you bring the uncleaned ( brain intact ) head to your taxi?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                    Does the waiver not let you bring the uncleaned ( brain intact ) head to your taxi?
                    I don't believe so, but don't quote me on that.
                    Every yr they twist this **** up a little more so it's hard to keep up.

Comment

Almost sound intentional, huh?

Comment

yes they do.

Comment

also remember that in CO you have to leave the testicles on the hind quarters as proof of sex. For some reason a head with antlers doesn't constitute proof of sex up there.

Comment

Cape the hide fully. Cut the antler skull plate and clean the skull plate of all brain matter. Your taxi will use a fake head anyway. Bring quarters, backstrap and pieces on ice. Easy peazy.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                              yes they do.

Comment

Working...
                              X