I like gardening.
    Humic and fulvic acid are excellent
    My fall planted strawberries are under six inches of snow
    I wonder if they will survive?

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
      My fall planted strawberries are under six inches of snow
      I wonder if they will survive?

Photo: Three inches of snow covers the ground west of the Twin Cities, October 20, 2020. Annie Klodd  Between cold temperatures and snowfall...

Looks like I'm ok

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
        Ive forgotten what all ive started so far lol. Strawberries/cabbage/lavender/coleus/pansies/salvia and others. .
        Is now the time to start lavender? Are you starting it indoors or directly into the ground? My wife wants to do it this year and attempt to extract the oils for various things.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
          Is now the time to start lavender? Are you starting it indoors or directly into the ground? My wife wants to do it this year and attempt to extract the oils for various things.
          You're better off buying plants that are already started and then next season use those plants to propagate new ones.
          I've done both propagate under a light and heatpad and I've also done direct burial
          Heatpad worked so so
          Direct burial the jury is still out on

Also lavender is very slow growing
          I have 4 varieties
          The Spanish took to my soil the best

Comment

Glad to see this! The wife and I are gonna put our first garden in this year. Our kiddos love all kinds of vegetables so it’ll be fun to watch them help grow and then enjoy them...beats them being inside!! My questions...looking at a 12’x12’ area, water access is easy and don’t have to worry about deer as we don’t have many where I’m located. Realistically, how many different vegetables can we grow? Do we start with seedlings or direct? Seems like less variety on seedlings. Looking to do the some of the most common (tomatoes, peppers, squash, zucchini, peas, beans, maybe some cantaloupe, etc) but don’t want to plant too much and over crowd.

Getting the soil tested and plan to get things turned over once we dry up a bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking forward to getting the kids involved

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1187 View Post
              Glad to see this! The wife and I are gonna put our first garden in this year. Our kiddos love all kinds of vegetables so it’ll be fun to watch them help grow and then enjoy them...beats them being inside!! My questions...looking at a 12’x12’ area, water access is easy and don’t have to worry about deer as we don’t have many where I’m located. Realistically, how many different vegetables can we grow? Do we start with seedlings or direct? Seems like less variety on seedlings. Looking to do the some of the most common (tomatoes, peppers, squash, zucchini, peas, beans, maybe some cantaloupe, etc) but don’t want to plant too much and over crowd.

Getting the soil tested and plan to get things turned over once we dry up a bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking forward to getting the kids involved
              Plant only items you will eat. Forget most vining plants like cucumbers and melons. I wouldn't plant things that are really cheap at the store.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy seedlings for tomatoes and peppers. The rest of what you have on that list can be planted from seed. You will need to trellis peas and beans. All the seed packets will tell you how far apart to plant. Tomatoes will need cages. Check your average last frost date for your area to plant.

Also, consider how you are going to get into your garden to weed and pick. You don't want to be stepping on your plants. I'd make it a raised bed so your soil will drain. You can raise it with cinder blocks or with stakes and 2x6 or 2x12. We have a 5'x20' garden with cinder blocks at a community garden, so I didn't get to choose height or how to put it in. If I had to do it now, I would do a 2x12 all the way around with a 2x4 on top to sit on.
                Last edited by El General; 01-11-2021, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks fellas...definitely only planning to plant what we eat and what we normally buy weekly at the store. The ‘last frost’ date for my area seems to be around mid-March from what I’ve read so that looks to be the plan.

Not looking to have raised beds, got plenty of room to put it in the ground. Got a some clay so I was planning to mix a little sand in when I first start breaking the ground.

Comment

Look up "Square Foot Gardening" and it will tell you EXACTLY how many of each of those you can cram into 12x12 to get the most yield.

Comment

To those that plant potatoes,
                      How do you do it?
                      Planting one potato will yield how many potatoes?

I read chew or smart did barrell cucumbers so ill try that and barrel watermelons just for giggles.
                      As you can see we plant a little bit of everything around our place.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                        Thanks, she’ll be 3 this spring and wasn’t impressed with my garden this year. Every day we had to go down to the corner and watch the bees. I’m also looking at Columbine, bridal wreath spirea and fragrant mimosa

If you have a septic system, keep that mimosa FAR away from it. Those suckers have roots like fine hair and will completely destroy your septic system, conventional or aerobic...

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                          To those that plant potatoes,
                          How do you do it?
                          Planting one potato will yield how many potatoes?

I read chew or smart did barrell cucumbers so ill try that and barrel watermelons just for giggles.
                          As you can see we plant a little bit of everything around our place.
                          I take my seed potatoes and cut them up making sure each piece has at least one eye. I then let them dry several days to avoid rot, plant them 4-5” deep, about a foot apart. When plants sprout, I hill them. Sometimes I hill them 2-3 times, covering plant. The more you pile dirt on the plant, the more potatoes it makes. Potatoes and onions love nitrogen. As far as cucumbers, I always trellis. My rows are app. 70’ long.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                            I take my seed potatoes and cut them up making sure each piece has at least one eye. I then let them dry several days to avoid rot, plant them 4-5” deep, about a foot apart. When plants sprout, I hill them. Sometimes I hill them 2-3 times, covering plant. The more you pile dirt on the plant, the more potatoes it makes. Potatoes and onions love nitrogen. As far as cucumbers, I always trellis. My rows are app. 70’ long.
                            I have no problems growing onions or garlic.
                            Have tons of wild onions on my place.
                            Cukes I did pickling and salad varieties last year.
                            Boy oh boy were they prolific
                            I also trellises the cukes.
                            I'm only doing the barrel style to try this hydro method.

Just left home depot and they have a few lettuces out so I guess thats what will go in the garden this weekend.
                            A tray of romaine.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Look up "Square Foot Gardening" and it will tell you EXACTLY how many of each of those you can cram into 12x12 to get the most yield.
                              Thank you sir!! This definitely helps.

Got some work done this weekend, couldn’t ask for better weather. My 12x12’ footprint grew a little. Come on planting season.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Put 700 onions in the ground today. Will have to get two more bunches to finish out a row tomorrow. 800 onions. My ground is very wet, and forecast for this week is rain, as in everyday.

Comment

Working...
                                X