Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default Colorado Bend SP Success stories...

The kid was drawn today for the Either Sex, December 21st thru the 23rd hunt at Colorado Bend SP. I'd love to show him some successful hunts if you've got one you'd like to share.

He took his first deer/buck last year at Mason Mountain and then took his first good buck at the 587 ranch which just so happens to border the Colorado Bend SP a few weeks later.

I'm surprised he drew this hunt and I like his chances.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #2
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Good luck fellas!
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Itís been a while since I hunted it, but ask for the compartment left of the campground on the river. If you get it, check out behind the dump which is on top of the hill before you drop down to the campgrounds. Also take the trail that goes along the river to the primitive camp sites and go way past it. You can thank me later!!!
sqiggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 04:48 PM   #4
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default Colorado Bend SP Success stories...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
Itís been a while since I hunted it, but ask for the compartment left of the campground on the river. If you get it, check out behind the dump which is on top of the hill before you drop down to the campgrounds. Also take the trail that goes along the river to the primitive camp sites and go way past it. You can thank me later!!!

These are the two compartments that split the campgrounds at the river. North is up, compartment 5 is the Western parcel and 4 the Eastern parcel outlined in magenta. I assume youíre talking about compartment 4 and thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Chad C; 09-02-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
Good luck fellas!

Thank you, sir.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #6
Bear82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman where there is no deer

On the map Chad C shows, look for that long stretch of clearing on the north end. Before you get to it, there is a draw to the west. Shot a 21-22" auodad in their 15 years ago. I was walking within 50 ft of deer when I walked along the river.
Bear82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
Mule Skinner
Six Point

Hunt In: Eastern Edwards Co.

My son and daughter each killed a buck there on a youth hunt 6-7 years ago. We hunted toward the front gate. Saw lots of deer.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #8
Rounder
Ten Point

Congrats on the draw for your son.

My son drew there in 2018 and we had a blast and he was lucky enough to shoot a doe. We hunted compartment 4 near the front of the compartment. Here is the recap thread I did of his hunt.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=715241

I still have the map of how they split the compartments up that year if you need/want it. It could have changed but may give you a few spots in each compartment to look at before you get there.
Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
Congrats on the draw for your son.

My son drew there in 2018 and we had a blast and he was lucky enough to shoot a doe. We hunted compartment 4 near the front of the compartment. Here is the recap thread I did of his hunt.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=715241

I still have the map of how they split the compartments up that year if you need/want it. It could have changed but may give you a few spots in each compartment to look at before you get there.

Iíd Love to have it, I think I shot you a PM.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #10
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Yessir. I donít remember the compartment # but what you are calling 4 is it. The trail along the river, my nephew shot a doe and a big beautiful 10 point. My brother missed a big 8, how, he doesnít know. He never misses!!
Then I missed a big ole 9 point with my bow on top of the hill behind the dump ground.
sqiggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #11
Rounder
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Iíd Love to have it, I think I shot you a PM.

Map sent your way. Let me know if you don't get it and I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you have (with my limited knowledge of the park).
Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #12
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
Map sent your way. Let me know if you don't get it and I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you have (with my limited knowledge of the park).

Thank you, sir! Iíll take a look at it.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:02 PM   #13
WinslowBoy
Six Point

Hunt In: Trinity County, TPWD Public Hunts

My sons drew there about 6 years ago. Got a small buck and a doe and saw several others. Just try to find open areas (tough to do in some compartments) and pitch out the corn. Deer will find it and you should be in business.

One of the unusual parts about the hunt that I wasn't too excited about was they gave us (2 kids and 2 adults) compartment 4 (I believe from your map) but we had to share it with another dad/son. Three hunters total in the compartment. We basically just split the compartment, we took the high part and they took the area along the river/campground. Never felt unsafe but just unusual to share a compartment, especially during a gun hunt.
WinslowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #14
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

congrats and best of luck. My son has is 14 and has been applying since he was 9 and has never been selected for any hunt through TPWD.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #15
Army of Dad
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land

My daughter drew that hunt 3 seasons ago. We saw plenty of decent 8 points while driving in to set up camp, but not during our hunt. She shot her first two does though.

As noted, you may end up grouped with other hunters in a compartment. We split up our compartment easily based on the abilities of the kids. (4 kids, three dads). The guy with two kids had a more wide open part since his oldest was an accomplished shot and old enough to hunt on his own. My hunting partner and I divided the rest of the unit and all three of us dads made sure to coordinate fields of fire to make sure we were safe.

Cell service is spotty at best, if you use a GPS app download the map before you leave home. There is a hill along the main road with decent service at the top so you will be able to check in with home there.

If youíre camping there I donít think that had any sites with electricity (maybe for RVs, but I donít think so).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Army of Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #16
Chad C
Pope & Young

Thanks for all the heads up fellas. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can get the kiddo on out there.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #17
cy100
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I have hunted Colorado Bend SP two times, both hunted at unit 5. The latest one is last year. There were many deer at unit 5. I saw multiple deer every time I sit in the field. The most challenge you will have is to find a flat / high elevation place that gives you a good view and shooting lanes. I saw some hunters brought tripod stands, it is definitely helpful, but lots of work. They have a fish cleaning station that you can hang, skin and quarter the deer. But there is no light at night. Make sure you bring some good light, or bring your own deer hoist.
cy100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #18
Chad C
Pope & Young

We have lodging set up and it's in a prime location! Thanks, Tim...
Old 09-22-2020, 08:16 AM   #19
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Just getting caught up on this thread. You should have a good hunt no matter what. Will be 10x easier for you to get started in the morning being so close and/or not sleeping in a tent.

Lots of big bucks running around. Just get as far off the trail as you can IMO. I think for regular hunts you can't ask for a compartment but not sure about youth hunts. Use google Earth once they tell you where to hunt and corn out ASAP.

There are reports of a herd of axis a couple miles before the park entrance with at least one big axis buck. Plenty of Aoudad if you get the right area.

Park didn't shoot many deer last year and fawn crop was stupid good so there will be plenty of deer.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #20
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Just getting caught up on this thread. You should have a good hunt no matter what. Will be 10x easier for you to get started in the morning being so close and/or not sleeping in a tent.

Lots of big bucks running around. Just get as far off the trail as you can IMO. I think for regular hunts you can't ask for a compartment but not sure about youth hunts. Use google Earth once they tell you where to hunt and corn out ASAP.

There are reports of a herd of axis a couple miles before the park entrance with at least one big axis buck. Plenty of Aoudad if you get the right area.

Park didn't shoot many deer last year and fawn crop was stupid good so there will be plenty of deer.

Yes sir, and Thank You for allowing us to book lodging! I think he may be just as fired up about that as he is the chance to hunt Colorado Bend.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #21
Hunteraudit
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

I’ll be there 12/1 - 12/4 for antlerless/spike. Never been up there so looking forward to it.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top