hybrid trailer deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hybrid trailer deck

The decking on my trailer had seen better days and so I gave it an upgrade. I primarily use it for hauling vehicles so I wanted something stronger than wood for where the tires would sit. I had seen a post on another forum where someone had redecked their entire trailer with C purlins so that got the wheels in my head spinning. My trailer is a flush deck and I found they make purlins in 1.5x3 or 1.5x4 that would match the thickness of normal 2x wood.

I decided to use the 1.5x3 for added stiffness/durability and spaced everything 1/4" apart for water drainage. The purlins were welded to every crossbar and I used a 1/4" spacer to weld them to each other from the top so I wouldn't have to weld the one side from underneath. While I had the deck off I also repainted the frame and reran all the wires through plastic tubing.

So why half metal, half wood? I use the trailer primarily for hauling my jeep and wanted to beefen up the trailer where the jeep sits. I didn't want metal underneath the jeep because I would be laying on my back in that area at times for repairs and wood also does better with any possible fluid drips.

Walking across the trailer you can really tell the difference in stiffness between the purlins and wood. There are some disadvantages though. The purlins cost twice the price of decking the same area as pressure treated wood. They are also 50% heavier but with the smaller area that I did the weight gain was about 75lbs total. The metal decking is also slicker and retains more heat. I used grey paint with fine grain sand mixed in and it has some grip now while being much cooler to the touch.
    Attached Files

Might go get one of those cheap roll on bedliner kits from TSC or atwoods and roll some on there.

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

I like that & it looks good as well. How did you get the wood under the lips? Does that length of board have enough bow in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
          I like that & it looks good as well. How did you get the wood under the lips? Does that length of board have enough bow in it?
          I've heard of people doing it that way but there is no way I could have done that with the purlins. The rear lip is substantial and designed to take a load, the front lip however is mostly cosmetic and was just tacked in. I cut the welds on the front lip, removed it, and after slipping the boards under the rear lip they dropped right into place. Since I have the purlins on there now, I bolted the front lip back into place using them even though my welder was ready to go.

Comment

hybrid trailer deck

I just replaced the deck on my trailer with aluminum bleacher planks. I won’t ever have to worry about them rotting out!!!!

Bisch
            Last edited by Bisch; 05-21-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Those both look good!

Comment

Where did you get your aluminum bleacher planks?

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
                  Where did you get your aluminum bleacher planks?

From a junkyard. I was building a bow fishing deck on my boat. I bought enough to do the boat and the trailer. Wish I had bought twice what I did. They are very hard to find for a reasonable price.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                  X