Any go kart experts out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any go kart experts out there?

We bought my son a used go kart that has a Honda gx390 and 40 series torque converter. The motor runs great but we only got 10 mins of run time before the clutch pulley was so hot the belt was meting to it and had to be cut off. I am thinking that maybe the sprocket on the rear axle is too small. The cart has very little torque and lots of speed, thus the belt is slipping.

It didn't come with the exhaust tip shown in the pics. Just a pic of the cart from his facebook page.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Texas Pride; 02-14-2020, 09:41 AM.

I rebuilt on an old vintage go cart for the kids a few years back and had this happen when I replaced the belt. The belt I purchased was a bit to big in diameter and small in width. it would run, but the clutch would slip causing the same issues that you are describing. The right belt fixed the problem!

Comment

Originally posted by mbalmer.jc View Post
      I rebuilt on an old vintage go cart for the kids a few years back and had this happen when I replaced the belt. The belt I purchased was a bit to big in diameter and small in width. it would run, but the clutch would slip causing the same issues that you are describing. The right belt fixed the problem!
      From what I got from the guy who built this the torque converter (assembly was new as a kit) so the belt came with it. But I am looking into it anyway as I need a new belt.

Comment

I bought quite a few of the new components from "Affordable Kart Parts" online. but had to get a new belt from the local lawn mower shop. Another thing to look at is the engine mounting holes. Are they oblong? can the engine be moved further forward? I had several issues in getting my kart properly setup, but when I did that thing would SCOOT! good luck!

Comment

Here's the belt when I cut it off to get it to roll. I cant get the pic to be upright
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Texas Pride; 02-14-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

The pulleys look out of alignment in the picture.

Comment

That clutch looks like its blown! It should always automatically spring back to its full retracted position.

The clutch assembly is different than what I had on my kart. I in no way am an expert like you asked for, but was just trying give my .02 ...

My kart had a belt driven live axle, I didn't have a torque converter setup like you do. I dont know if there is any built in adjustment on the assembly, but what I previously wrote would not apply to what you are dealing with.

Comment

May have some other problems But from the picture the pulleys are Way out of line. Will tear belt up and cause lots of heat.
                The guys on-
                Buggiesgonewild are a Great bunch and Wealth of knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those belts are one sided. Flat sided and angled side.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Go to bmikarts.com. They will have all you need as well as sprockets +\- teeth to get what you want. Should be a stamp on sprocket that will tell the tooth count (looked to be a 2 piece... hopefully is) and count the teeth on the clutch side

When I raced 10 tooth was As small as they made and 13 was as large on the clutch. 55 was a small rear and 75 was huge. With a 13/55 @9,000-11,000 rpms you had your hands full, lol

Comment

There are some dampeners inside the front pulley that unless they melted they will probably fall out when you pull the pulley off. They must go back in specific positions. My guess is they are missing or were put in wrong when the belt was changed.

Comment

I'd almost bet that if you fix the alignment problem it will be OK. Its out of whack pretty good.

Comment

#1 not an expert, a little addicted but not an expert.

#2 the driver pulley( engine mounted) is messed up. Looks like one of the pins have come out allowing the spings to collapse the unit. May be able to be rebuilt.

#3 as someone said the belt is one sided. ITS NOT. 40 series tc use a SYMMETRICAL belt.

#4 cant tell from pics how your alignment looks but wont cause what has happened to you.

#5 gearing needs to be 6:1 minimum. Maybe closer to 8:1. This depends also on tire size.

#6 my guess is your gearing is way off giving you no torque and lots of top end speed. This will destroy belts fast. This and the heat crated also contributed to your driver failure.

Comment

No expert, but I built a few when I was young and cool. Bought the clutches and torque converters they were all Comet brand Torq a Verter looks like you can get them a ton of places- https://cometkartsales.com/Comet-Ind...que-Convertor/
                            Last edited by Txtourist; 02-15-2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

This is the only help I can offer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trashed Belt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	24608680

Comment

Working...
                              X