State park camp/hike recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State park camp/hike recommendations

Whatcha got?? My wife, kids and I are planning to do a state park tour kinda thing starting in March and going till it’s too cold to camp again. Looking for some good hikes and nice state parks for tent camping. We are planning for Colorado Bend 2nd weekend of March, but after that we haven’t decided on locations yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pedernales State Park is nice

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Palo Duro Canyon State Park is awesome. Lots of hiking and beautiful

Comment

Dinosaur Valley and Mineral Wells are just down the road from you. Good fishing at mineral wells too.

Comment

Purtis Creek...……..
          Good camping, and better fishing...……
          call ahead………...

Comment

For hiking I would definitely add Garner to the list. Palo Duro, Enchanted Rock and Lost Maples.

I would plan early spring and fall for those June July and August will be too dang hot to sleep in a tent and hike a round during the day

Comment

Lost Maples is a great family hike.

Comment

I would take advantage of Big Bend while the weather is good.

Comment

I would add Big Bend to the list. Just FYI, if you are going all summer long, you might want to check on prices to rent a travel trailer. It would be a miserable trip to Palo Duro in July in a tent.

Not sure if you know this, but you can reserve your site online for all state parks. The site isn't bad, gives a good layout of the campground, and trails. If you compare that to google maps, you should know what you are getting into long before you get there. That's how we typically plan our camping trips.
                  Last edited by WItoTX; 01-15-2020, 07:23 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Thanks for all the recommendations! Lost maples is definitely on our list, probably for the fall. And yeah when it gets real hot we probably won’t be camping.

Comment

If you want primitive hit Big Bend Ranch state park.

Comment

Palo Duro is a wonderful place to visit, and has plenty of roads and trails...While you are there you can add in Caprock Canyon. Miles of beautiful trails and scenery, plus they have the 4 mile Trailway where you can hike or mountain bike on the old railroad and go thru the tunnel and over the bridge system.

Comment

I personally like Enchanted rock state park.

Comment

Fort Davis has a nice state park
                            With hiking and the observatory near by

I have hiked and primitive camped Pedernales State Park with our Boy Scouts before

Comment

Working...
                            X