Burnet county AG exempt question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnet county AG exempt question...

I bought 10 acres, raw land, fenced with a gate this year in Burnet county.. Plan to retire there someday.

It is currently ag exempt as the previous owner had an agreement with the neighbor to let his cows graze on the place.

My new neighbor may not continue the agreement as he doesn't think he needs the extra grazing area.

So...plan "B" is for me to come up with an ag exempt plan. What it is ...don't know so... my question to the green screen folks.

I have looked and can not find what is needed as a minimum for Burnet county for animal units. I can provide water and supplemental feed as I live about 45 minutes away.

Anyone know what is needed for Burnet county? I figure I will be talking to the county appraisal board folks to see what they are looking for. But would love some insight...

In Grayson 10 acres is the min. When you put your house on there that takes away from your ag. But at that point you may be grandfathered.

Comment

If I were you, I would put it in wildlife. I’m the ag/timber wildlife appraiser for my county. If you have any questions pm me, and I will answer with what the requirements are for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For our county the minimum is 10 acres for cattle and horses, and 5 for sheep and goats. Since it’s already ag exempt you will be grandfathered when you build a house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As I understand it... as a new owner of the property I need to apply for the ag exemption in January I think.

if the minimum is 10 acres... how many animal units do i need.???

will be sending PM'n

Comment

There’s a lot that goes into ag exemptions, but in burnet county with 10 acres, bees might be your best bet if you’re hunting. I think you need 5 hives. Call the county office. They’re very helpful!

I have 10 acres there, but my exemption goes through hoa

Comment

are you in black buck ridge

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                are you in black buck ridge
                Pm sent

Comment

Id move to wildlife.

Comment

Go wildlife exemption. Easy. No cows, sheep, or whatever to mess with you when sitting on stand. Also super cheap to keep up with each year. Same tax break as Ag.

Comment

Im pretty sure 10 acres in Burnet county does not qualify for a 'regular' wildlife exemption. My advice is to first call the appraisal district or go by and talk to them. I have a wildlife exemption on several properties in Burnet county and they are very willing to work with you. The first thing they are going to require is a TPWD biologist come do an appraisal of your property.
                      List in the area - https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/lan...?county=burnet

Erin Wehland in Lampasas is great to work with!

Comment

David give me call after you talk to county, if you decide to graze to keep ag. My neighbor
                        Can probably put calves on before going to market. He lives between you and me.
                        And he will feed if you've got water.

Larry

Comment

David. You have the best option above. If you have water supply and someone that can just drop cattle on for short time then it will hold you over until you move there. Once you move there you should consider raising blackbuck. Real easy and not as destructive as goats and they won’t mess up you house or vehicles.

Bees are next option I would think. Not enough dirt for wildlife there

Comment

don't call, and don't wait.

Physically go to the assessor office and have a sit down.

Follow up that meeting with an email so that the info is in writing.

These smaller county tax offices can be a pain in the butt, however you can beat them at their own game.

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

Working...
                              X