• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engineers

Lol
    Attached Files

lol

Comment

I love when a very educated engineer comes to our small machine shop and asks this college dropout to design something for him/her. Can't beat experience away from a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
        I love when a very educated engineer comes to our small machine shop and asks this college dropout to design something for him/her. Can't beat experience away from a computer.
        Yes sir you can... Experience AND education...
        I been at it for 40 years... When folks ask me if I'm an en-ga-near, I tell 'em, "Yea, but I do my best not to ACT like one!"...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Yes sir you can... Experience AND education...
          I been at it for 40 years... When folks ask me if I'm an en-ga-near, I tell 'em, "Yea, but I do my best not to ACT like one!"...
          30+ years in the trade, and that is how I try to act. KJ

Comment

Welders - like engineers, but with common sense!!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
              THIS! all the time in our shop

Comment

I've been a welder/fabricator most of my life and now I work in engineering at NASA. There are some smart guys that work here but we have our fair share of special ones.

Comment

As a machinist in my 26th year thats hilarious, and I do know its pretty easy for a guy on the shop floor to make fun of them, but I have learned to appreciate a good engineer!

Comment

The term "engineer" is a huge umbrella...I hate to break it to you but not all engineers are (or want to be) designers. Most engineers are highly specialized and aren't Jacks of all trades. I've been a circuit board designer and embedded programmer for nearly 15 years and I wouldn't hesitate to find a machinist and ask them to design me a mechanical fixture b/c I know they could do a far better job than if I tried to cobble something together.

Comment

That an Engineer will be: A) intelligent and B) have a lot of knowledge, is a given. You don't get though an Engineering program without A & if you do get though that program you'll have acquired B.

The real question with Engineers is can they do anything with that intelligence & knowledge? And do they have any mechanical aptitude?

Working as an Mechanical Engineer for a long time (graduated in 1990), I've met & worked with a lot of other Engineers. None were dumb, but many looked that way at times due to an inability to apply that knowledge and/or a lack of mechanical aptitude.

The best Engineers I've known have been either farm boys or guys who had long time hobbies that involved mechanical things that they had to work on/repair/modify/improve.

Unfortunately, there are lots of 'know it all' Engineers out there too. Very hard to deal with since they are never wrong or never want to admit there is something they don't know.

Other Engineers don't like those Engineers either.

Comment

Millwrights/Machinists makes engineers look good all the time!

Comment

I think 90% of the time - it is because engineers are not taught how to communicate with the non-engineering community. It is a soft skill that an engineer has to learn if they want to be successful or less frustrated in their career.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                            I think 90% of the time - it is because engineers are not taught how to communicate with the non-engineering community. It is a soft skill that an engineer has to learn if they want to be successful or less frustrated in their career.
                            This is very true. I’ve worked with several engineers across varying fields(mechanical, structural, electrical, etc). Some of those people were incredibly smart, but they lacked the ability to communicate effectively. Sometimes we’re just too dumb to understand what they’re saying.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                              That an Engineer will be: A) intelligent and B) have a lot of knowledge, is a given. You don't get though an Engineering program without A & if you do get though that program you'll have acquired B.

The real question with Engineers is can they do anything with that intelligence & knowledge? And do they have any mechanical aptitude?

Working as an Mechanical Engineer for a long time (graduated in 1990), I've met & worked with a lot of other Engineers. None were dumb, but many looked that way at times due to an inability to apply that knowledge and/or a lack of mechanical aptitude.

The best Engineers I've known have been either farm boys or guys who had long time hobbies that involved mechanical things that they had to work on/repair/modify/improve.

Unfortunately, there are lots of 'know it all' Engineers out there too. Very hard to deal with since they are never wrong or never want to admit there is something they don't know.

Other Engineers don't like those Engineers either.

I have interviewed hundreds of people for engineering positions and it’s hard to find folks with good practical skills in conjunction sound engineering knowledge. I always look for guys that used to be welders/machinists/mechanics/plumbers and then went to engineering school. One question I always ask is if they can tell me the firing order of a small block Chevrolet.

I had a female intern once call out a RH thread on a part when it needed to be LH due to it being a rotating device. When the error was discovered on the prototype she asked why we couldn’t just turn the threaded stud around that went into the hole......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by 175gr7.62; 06-12-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X