Diverticulitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diverticulitis

After three flare ups in nine months, my doctor is sending me to see a surgeon about cutting out the part that is giving me problems. Has anyone on the GS had the surgery and if so what was the result?

I have not had it but a friend of mine had it and the surgery.
    nothing to worry about, as it seems this is a common surgery.

he has not had any issues since his surgery about 5 yrs ago, seems like it took him about a couple of months to fully recover though.

Comment

my wife and a friend of mine both had the surgery, each one of them still get pains from time to time, have to really watch you diet afterwards

Comment

In for information on this . I am having a flare up right now my fifth one in the last 2 years it really sucks.

Comment

What the heck is it, maybe I have it!

Comment

I had it done in 2003 timeframe when I was only 28. It’s called partial Sigmoid Colectomy. It was done laparoscopically but of course when they were done some part of the tool fell off and they had to go ahead and cut me open anyway. I had zero issues since the surgery but it take several days to recover. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had surgery 3 years ago and never looked back. I got as healthy as I could and went in for surgery. Moved slow the first week. Second week mowed the yard. Third week replaced a hot water heater in my second story attic. Peanuts now bother me but that is it.
              Get up after surgery and move! Just walk as much as you can. Metamucil will be a part of your daily regiment.

Pm me if you need any more info.

Dwayne

Comment

I changed my diet so I wouldn’t have the surgery. Popcorn and corn are my problem foods. I haven’t eaten them since. I also drink Metamucil.

Comment

All pm's returned.

Comment

What do you guys with DV call flareups?

I dont have pain but I can feel my DV most days.

Comment

Originally posted by dpatterson1976 View Post

I know what you mean about feeling it most days. When I have a flareup, it is definitely more pronounced. Mine is not severe pain as some have but I would describe it more as extreme discomfort.

Comment

My wife went thru this in January of this year. Spent a week in the hospital before surgery with multiple iv and oral antibiotics to help with the infection before surgery. They removed 1.5 feet of her colon. 5 days in the hospital after surgery. 3 to six weeks recovery after surgery. No nuts or seeds EVER after surgery! There is a Facebook group that has tons of information from people that have had the same issues.

Comment

increase your fiber via healthy foods like apples, beans, low intake of red meats and you can try to avoid the surgery. Western diet contributes to diverticula forming in the colon and if you eat garbage food that your body wasnt meant to eat then you are at risk of developing infection/inflammation at each one of these pockets that form.
                          If you think you can eat steak and taters every day and everything will be ok ive got news for you..

the nuts and seeds myth has been debunked, it was thought that they could get stuck in the pouches but they have since taken that off the list of foods to avoid

Comment

Originally posted by dpatterson1976 View Post

Just total discomfort and a lot of pain on my lower left abdomen especially early in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                              Just total discomfort and a lot of pain on my lower left abdomen especially early in the morning.
                              Same here. Not really pain but a discomfort for several days.

Question is does this constitute a flareup? Was told the same that 3 flareups in a certain time span meant surgery.

My manager just had emergency surgery from his. Apparently it popped open on him.

Comment

Working...
                              X