Feeding Corn Year Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeding Corn Year Round

I hunt a small 40 acre tract of private land in Harrison County surrounded by leases and lots of hunters. I also hunt public land where baiting is allowed. I feed regular ol corn year round. I just don't see the point in spending extra money on anything other than corn in my situation. I run 2 feeders in Harrison County. I have read that it is bad to feed deer corn year round. What does everyone think on this subject? Also, wanted to know opinions on is 2 feeders good enough or could I run a 3d feeder on 40 acres?

We feed year around as well. During the spring the feeders get hit much less because of all the natural vegetation so we usually can turn them way down but still throw a little. As far as 40 acres, id think that two feeders is enough but if they are picking them both clean every day id consider increasing the times on the feeders so they throw more.

Comment

My experience is don’t just feed corn year round if there is nothing natural for the deer to eat. Then they will stand under the feeder and eat corn to survive and not be healthy. Corn is like ice cream for deer. If there is natural forage available for the deer then they will regulate how much corn they eat and you will be fine feeding corn year round.

However, a good balanced protein pellet in dry conditions can make or break your deer herd.

Comment

Won't hurt a thing to feed corn year round. It will keep the deer visiting your place. You don't throw enough corn to hurt a deer. They will eat what is healthy for them & pick up a little corn if wanted. We run 2 feeders on a relatives 50 ac & see some of the same deer at both feeders,but also see different deer at 1 feeder only. We have a couple of other set ups for hunting,but just hand corn them . On our ranch in hill country ,we feed corn & protein year round. When it is green like now,you may not see a deer come to a feeder, but they will walk through & pick up a little corn . They learn to stay in the area & visit your place. Another thing is your neighbors may not feed year round so keeps them on your place a little more IMO.
        Last edited by DUKFVR; 05-21-2019, 07:54 AM.

Comment

I do

Comment

I do. Just turned way down this time of year

Comment

We feed it year around only throwing for 3 sec instead of 9 .But feed protein as well during spring and summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I do, when it's dry enough for me to keep the feeder full, but like has been mentioned, I just throw a little to keep them around. I would much rather have them eating from the food plot or other natural vegetation.

Comment

Not to be an annoying dissenting opinion, feeding year round is fine for the deer, but it concentrates the deer increasing the risk of disease spread and it increases the pressure on the native vegetation in the immediate area. I believe the Noble Foundation did a big study some years back and found it detrimental to feed corn year round when all factors were included.

In my opinion, I would rather them locate based on natural fawning cover, rather than my feeder. But each to his own and it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                    I hunt a small 40 acre tract of private land in Harrison County surrounded by leases and lots of hunters. I also hunt public land where baiting is allowed. I feed regular ol corn year round. I just don't see the point in spending extra money on anything other than corn in my situation. I run 2 feeders in Harrison County. I have read that it is bad to feed deer corn year round. What does everyone think on this subject? Also, wanted to know opinions on is 2 feeders good enough or could I run a 3d feeder on 40 acres?
                    Where abouts are you in Harrison county and when's the last time you harvested a deer?

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                      Where abouts are you in Harrison county and when's the last time you harvested a deer?
                      North of Waskom. 2 years ago off that property.

Comment

I run one feeder at the house pretty much year around.

Comment

I feed year round.

Comment

I don't bother feeding after hunting season. I start back up around labor day. Deer have more than enough natural feed in spring and summer. When I did try feeding in the summer, the hogs ate it all. Deer start showing up a few days after I restart feeding but unless there is a drought, they just nibble a bit usually on their way to a bedding area.

Comment

We try to feed year round, just decrease the amount distributed in spring and summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X