Building blind base, engineering help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building blind base, engineering help needed

I just bought 2 hay rings to use for blinds or blind bases.

I have several ideas about how to go about it.

Here’s where I need the help. I want to build a platform on top of it & than set a pop up blind on top of that. What size 2X do I need and on what center?

The rings are 91” across.
    I plan on laying the 2X on there edge, using 3/4” marine plywood for flooring than covering that in stall mats for noise reduction.
    My expected load is 1,000lbs. 3 adults, their gear and a pop up.
    I was thinking 2x6 on 24” centers

I am thinking I want to keep the platform square so I can put eye bolts in the corners to tie the blind too.

I am thinking I might build it in 2 sections, bolted together in the middle for ease of assembly.

2x6 will span 9 foot, safely.

Comment

I'd sell those and buy some elevators off of Ebay. Build it out of wood.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190516-070021_Google.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	24579885
      Last edited by Traildust; 05-16-2019, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Hope they are heavy duty hay rings........

Comment

Originally posted by hbender1 View Post
          Hope they are heavy duty hay rings........
          Do you think they'll not support the weight?

Comment

My issue with a pop up on a stand, is what stops you from going to the ground if you trip inside the pop up? If I put up anything with elevation more than a couple of feet, I want a hard side to keep my clumsy self from being hurt too bad. I had an experience with a 10' stand being completely full of wasps, didn't realize it until my arm seemed on fire. My BIL was yelling to jump, but my brain was working good enough to reason a broken bone was worse than the wasp stings. I climbed out, wiped the remaining wasps off and stuck my arm in the ice chest. Then hoped I didn't have an allergic reaction, we were 30 mins from town. Everything worked out, we put the stand on a trailer, wasps an all. They were gone after we took them on a 4 hr. trailer ride. I had 36 wasp stings on my right arm. 20 scattered around my head and upper body.

Sorry for the drift, but I have looked at a pop up on a stand, and it wont be very tall when I do one.
            Last edited by double bogey; 05-16-2019, 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling, i cant type a complete sentance without errors, must be the drugs

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
              Do you think they'll not support the weight?
              yes - that would be a concern for me, but there are so many different makes and types of hay rings and I'm sure some could work.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                I'd sell those and buy some elevators off of Ebay. Build it out of wood.

[ATTACH]957221[/ATTACH]
                I was considering this but thinking it would be as easily moved...

Comment

Don't use wood. Use metal!

Comment

I don’t see this Picture in this thread.....
                    Anyone know why?

Comment

Well poopy.
                      Sold them today to a guy I know.

Comment

Hey man no offense but i am once again lost in this thread.

You asked about hay rings then showed a picture of a camera and then said you sold them to a guy you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                          Hey man no offense but i am once again lost in this thread.

You asked about hay rings then showed a picture of a camera and then said you sold them to a guy you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          No offense taken.

The picture shows up on the screen when I'm looking at Around The Campfire forum. That's where I got the screenshot.
                          Yet when I click on this thread I don't see that picture.
                          My intent with the picture was to inquire if anyone else was seeing in the thread. I was wo seeing if my phone or Tapatalk was acting up.

The hay rings.
                          I bought them with the intent of turning them into blinds as stated in post #1.
                          In post #11 I stated that I sold them.
                          The intent behind that was to bring closure to the thread for those that might be following along to see how they turned out.
                          Last edited by Pushbutton2; 05-17-2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Awesome thread

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                              No offense taken.

The picture shows up on the screen when I'm looking at Around The Campfire forum. That's where I got the screenshot.
                              Yet when I click on this thread I don't see that picture.
                              My intent with the picture was to inquire if anyone else was seeing in the thread. I was wo seeing if my phone or Tapatalk was acting up.

The hay rings.
                              I bought them with the intent of turning them into blinds as stated in post #1.
                              In post #11 I stated that I sold them.
                              The intent behind that was to bring closure to the thread for those that might be following along to see how they turned out.

Would be easier to understand if you take pics of your sidewalk chalk drawings and post them

We could most likely find a way to interpret

Comment

Working...
                              X