Lap Chong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lap Chong

I bet most are thinking "WTH is Lap Chong?"....It's Tommy Chong's cousin...haha jk. Lap Chong translates to dried sausage which is what you would normally see if you went into a Chinese butcher shop (this is what google said). I wouldn't know what a Chinese butcher shop looks like. I saw this recipe posted on one a meat curing forum and the flavor profile looked interesting so I thought I would give it try.

Lap Chong
    1.15% Kosher Salt
    6.0% Soy sauce
    0.25% #2
    0.10% Five spice powder
    0.2% Fresh garlic
    6.0% Mirin
    0.20% black pepper
    10.5% white sugar

Fatty pork shoulder cut into 1" cubes and partially frozen, chopped into 1/9-1/4" dice, seasoned and mixed, refrigerated vaccum for 48hrs, stuffed into hog casing, hung and air dried at 70 degrees at 30% humidity for 3 days, then hung and dried at 50 degrees with 80% humidity.

The recipe above is what I went off of but made a few changes. Instead of hand dicing my meat I used my grinder with a 10mm plate. I did hand dice the fat and add it to the meat mixture. I also used red sichuan peppercorns instead of black pepper and used a corn whiskey instead of mirin. I made a change in my drying times and humidity. I dried the sausage for 2 days at 70degree with 50% humidity and cold smoked on the 3rd day for 8hrs then hung it in my curing chamber. I will report back in a month or so to let you know how it turned out.
    Attached Files

I like

Comment

I just bought some at Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by chino View Post
        I just bought some at Costco.
        What does it taste like? From what I read its slightly sweet? Most recipes call for mirin or baijiu which is sweet grain alchohol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

It tastes very good. It's just right to me.

Comment

I get it a super H mart or Ranch market. I like it.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Yummy

Comment

its ready

It took a little over 3weeks to reach 40% weight loss. The flavor is great! Slightly smokey, great pork flavor with a little spice coming from the szechuan pepper corns.
                  Attached Files

Comment

oh man that looks killer

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                      oh man that looks killer
                      Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X