GM Layoffs - Frustrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM Layoffs - Frustrating

Makes you wonder where the auto industry is heading, and what we will be seeing in the next 5 years or so.

I see my boycott is working. Gonna drive this old cheby another 200k or until it croaks. Ain't ever gonna buy another truck of any make. That'll show em!

Comment

If they’d just bring the El Camino back they wouldn’t need to lay anyone off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
        If they’d just bring the El Camino back they wouldn’t need to lay anyone off
        Haha - I'm good without it.

Comment

Innovate and keep up.....or go under.

Comment

The US doesn't want American made sedans...we want big trucks, fast sports cars, SUV's & crossovers. GM didn't have much choice & better to make these moves now vs saving everybody's job, continue to loose $$$$ & get the tax payer to bail GM out again & the process starts all over.

My understanding is all the plants affected are tooled for sedans.

Comment

There's not a lack of demand for new trucks, there's a lack of demand for $75K trucks. Bring back the base model work trucks with a towing pks and a little trim and trhey'd start selling some trucks.

Cuts like they're making today says GM and their unions will need another bail-out in two or three years.

Comment

It cost about a third of what they’re charging to build a new one. Do the math.

Comment

I know a delivery guy, he tells me they have all their lots near the Arlington plant full.

Comment

Thanks Barak!

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                      There's not a lack of demand for new trucks, there's a lack of demand for $75K trucks. Bring back the base model work trucks with a towing pks and a little trim and trhey'd start selling some trucks.
                      I'm not going to act like I know the trucking business....but it sure does seem like there is a hole there that needs to be filled.
                      I am driving my 2007 Tacoma into the freaken ground..I just can't see myself paying the cost of these new trucks. Plus I am worried that the new trucks are made with so much computer tech in them that it would be **** near impossible to repair something if it breaks. Screw comfort and luxury...just make a dang truck that gets a person from A to B and back every day.

Comment

You would prefer them to keep hemorrhaging money with a **** poor business plan? Seems like they are planning for the future, and the market responded to the moves well.

The company, which is shifting its focus to electric and autonomous vehicles, has been cutting jobs to deal with plunging car sales in North America and has been debating for months how to address shrinking car demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                          Innovate and keep up.....or go under.
                          My thoughts exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            I'm not going to act like I know the trucking business....but it sure does seem like there is a hole there that needs to be filled.
                            I am driving my 2007 Tacoma into the freaken ground..I just can't see myself paying the cost of these new trucks. Plus I am worried that the new trucks are made with so much computer tech in them that it would be **** near impossible to repair something if it breaks. Screw comfort and luxury...just make a dang truck that gets a person from A to B and back every day.
                            Yep, I'll likely never own a new truck but if I do I guess I'll have to special order it with hand crank windows, rubber floors and no nav. Or any of the other tech. that comes in them.
                            I just want simple but that seems impossible

Comment

I think GM is way behind in the modern world of small electric cars or hybrids. Holding their own on trucks. JMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X