Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Residual affects of long-term anesthesia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Residual affects of long-term anesthesia?

Any other members out there that have been put under for 1+ full days? I was in ICU and put under from August 3rd-7th. Kind of a crazy situation that went south. I came home from the hospital on Aug 9th. Problem is I still have this mild dizziness/disorientation that doesn't seem to be getting any better. It's not terrible but just bad enough to disrupt normal life and its starting to get really old. Trying to figure out if it's a normal side effect or related to my other issues. Any other personal experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks!

That much anesthesia and you are gonna need some recovery/rehab time. Be patient. Moderate exercise (walking) and you will complete flushing that stuff out of your system.

oh look...what is that?

Comment

Man that’s a long time to be under.

Comment

I just went thru something similar. I had a total hip replacement the end of June & was only under anesthesia for probably an hour or so. When I went back for my 2 week follow up, I told my Orthopaedic about similar feelings as what you have. I didn’t have the dizziness but just felt like I was in a daze & just felt out of it. Wasn’t real bad but just enough that it was concerning. He told me it is called “anesthesia fog” & is fairly common in elderly people (I’m 70 yrs old but don’t think of myself as elderly !��) He said to drink lot of fluids & exercise as much as possible. He said that it would wear off & it finally did. Also, what seemed to help me the most was being around people as much as possible. Took about 4 to 5 weeks for mine to completely go away. Hang in there!

I had what my Orthopaedic called “anesthesia fog”.

Comment

Ive only been out for up to 6 hours... but ive been out for more than 2 hours like 4 times in the last two years... easy a month out on feeling normal(ish)...
          im not scared of the stuff, and it has been a part of the process that has saved my life MULTIPLE times.. but i have really gotten sick of pumping crap into my body (2 more rounds of chemo, this one has probably been the hardest mentally, just want to be done!)

Im a big believer in lots of water and short walks... i use it as time to work opidience with my jagd.

Prayera budy, that stuff does crazy things, keep the doc in the loop!

Oh PS im 28 so it aint all age that stuff just insnt good for you... better than what they fix but not good

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok funny story about anesthesia and being in your body.

About 3 yrs ago I had surgery to remove a chunk of colon that had some cancer growth. About 2 days after surgery, early in the am, I was laying in bed and I smelled the anesthesia gas release through my pores. Having worked in health care before, I recognized the smell imediatley. I told the poor aid that I had to get a shower and now. It was a nasty smell. Felt so much better after.

So exercise and water in your system is the answer.

oh look...what is that?

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
              Ok funny story about anesthesia and being in your body.

About 3 yrs ago I had surgery to remove a chunk of colon that had some cancer growth. About 2 days after surgery, early in the am, I was laying in bed and I smelled the anesthesia gas release through my pores. Having worked in health care before, I recognized the smell imediatley. I told the poor aid that I had to get a shower and now. It was a nasty smell. Felt so much better after.

So exercise and water in your system is the answer.

oh look...what is that?
              Yeah... yeah i would need the shower, at least a shower, maybe a few hours in a sauna and then a shower... that would not be fun

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts foks. I was placed on a ventilator. Basically, I went in for a deviated septum surgery, sinus clean out, and tubernate reduction. A week later I returned and the surgeon removed the stints. That afternoon it started bleeding and I couldn't get it to stop. We met up two times and he couldn't get it to stop. The next morning he decided he needed to go back in for surgery to get it stopped. Up to that point, I had felt fine with none of my current symptoms. He said that he had to pack so much in and the location was so that I wouldn't have been able to leave it alone if awake and would likely cause it to start bleeding again so they kept me under to allow it to heal for a couple days before removing most of the packing and bringing me back up. I know they said it took a lot of medication to keep me down and it took a while for me to come back around once they stopped administering it. Obviously, anything ENT can cause symptoms similar to mine so maybe that's the root of the problem. I do have a follow-up appointment with the ENT this week but I know from his comments that he had never dealt with a situation this severe so his anesthesia knowledge is probably not the best.

I guess I need try to get an appointment with the critical care doctor that took care of me. While I was physically recovering and still feeling down I accepted the perpetual dizziness/disorientation as part of the recovery. Now, I'm feeling much better physically but the dizziness is pretty concerning. The thought of something as simple as taking my kids fishing in the coming weeks is bad enough that we are continuing to cancel plans for weeks out. My job requires me to drive and that's not an option for now. Just hope to not be battling this long term and looking for any info I can find.

Also, looks like my plan for tomorrow and Sunday will be to get some Gatorade and make sure I am 100% hydrated, and maybe try to get some light exercise in.

Comment

Anybody else with any personal experiences or foks in the medical field? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X