Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co
Default When I build my Entrance, need opinions!

Won't be any time soon, but already in the planning stages and getting material. What I will be building is my entry way to the house I'm planning on building in the next year. What I'm trying to figure out is the width and height. At first, I thought about putting it 18ft high, but now thinking 16ft will be plenty high enough. Then, on the gate, 16ft wide, with 2, 8ft gates, but now thinking 14ft wide would be plenty, making 2, 7ft gates.
I looked at the thread about entryways, but really didn't see what I'm looking for as in the "average" width on gates and the heights of the entrances.
If you have one, what are your dimensions and if any, what would you have done different.
Thanks
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

If you are going to be moving trailers through that gate Id go 16 wide.

Im not putting a top on ours so Im no help there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Im no help on the top either, but definitely 16 wide. I would also stear clear of double gates unless using an electric opener. I would go cattleguard and a bar gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

16Hx16W
With Apollo opener

savin yours is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Not sure of the size, but this is my buddies entry he just finished. When he texts back Ill get you the dimensions. The gate is on an auto opener.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
If you are going to be moving trailers through that gate Id go 16 wide.
Probably not. Guess I should add, the driveway will more than likely be a horseshoe, so there will be another way in/out. Not going to "fancy" that one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURTONboy View Post
definitely 16 wide. I would also stear clear of double gates unless using an electric opener. I would go cattleguard and a bar gate.

No need for a cattle guard. And why no double gates?
Old 07-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
Probably not. Guess I should add, the driveway will more than likely be a horseshoe, so there will be another way in/out. Not going to "fancy" that one up.

In my experience with double gates, one always tends to sag with time and opening 2 gates gets old over time. One never seems to stay open and wants to swing back. Lol. Im sure others will have input

Old 07-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #8
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post

Not sure of the size, but this is my buddies entry he just finished. When he texts back Ill get you the dimensions. The gate is on an auto opener.

This is 16 wide by 14 tall.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
In my experience with double gates, one always tends to sag with time and opening 2 gates gets old over time. One never seems to stay open and wants to swing back. Lol. Im sure others will have input

Gates will stay open pretty much all the time. Only time they would be closed and locked is when we will be gone for more than a day.
And the gates I plan on building won't be like anything you have ever seen!!! Same on the entrance!!!
Not going to say what material I'm gonna use, but it will be "one of a kind"!!!
Old 07-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #10
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Gates will stay open pretty much all the time. Only time they would be closed and locked is when we will be gone for more than a day.

And the gates I plan on building won't be like anything you have ever seen!!! Same on the entrance!!!

Might be worth it then since they will be custom!

Old 07-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #11
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

If thats the case Id go 12 max on your gate and single. Top is up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #12
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Set it back off the road far enough to get out of the road with a trailer, and make the turn.
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 01:10 PM   #13
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

very few people have ever said, "dang, I made that gate too wide...."
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #14
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Rel county

If you are going to be back off the road far enough to get straight with a trailer then 12 will be good for just about anything.
Wall_Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #15
timoub007
Eight Point

If you are only going to close and lock it when you are going to be gone for more than a day, it sounds like you will be leaving a signal that the home is unoccupied. This is the reason why I have not flown a flag at our place when I am there, I don't want to inadvertently signal when I'm not.

Something to think about.

Tim
timoub007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #16
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip-TX View Post
Set it back off the road far enough to get out of the road with a trailer, and make the turn.
Going to bring that part in 16ft, if not a even 20.
More than likely, only trailer coming thru here will be my 5x10, for my 4 wheeler. Where we are now, that'll be where any longer trailers will be parked.
Looks like I may go 16ft wide on the gates and once I get the measurements on the height, I will know how tall I need to go. I have right at 50ft of the stuff I'm gonna use. I did a measurement at 18ft tall and would need 53-54ft of material. 16ft may get me where I need.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #17
MisterB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I agree with Phillip, set the gate back off the road far enough to hold your truck with a trailer so you don’t have to stick out in traffic to close the gate. My son made that mistake and he had to go back later and move the gate deeper into his property.
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #18
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoub007 View Post
If you are only going to close and lock it when you are going to be gone for more than a day, it sounds like you will be leaving a signal that the home is unoccupied. This is the reason why I have not flown a flag at our place when I am there, I don't want to inadvertently signal when I'm not.

Something to think about.

Tim
This is off a private road. Where my property line starts, I'm gonna put in a automatic gate there. All the neighbors are on board to do this. Then we will have our small little "gated community"!!
Old 07-29-2018, 12:16 AM   #19
Draco
Pope & Young

I have probably built over a hundred entrances through the years and here are a few things to think about. Height should be at least 14' and that should take care of most every thing that is legal.

Single gate only if for no other reason, if you ever want electric opening then you only have to spring for one opener instead of two, saving you about $700.

Set it back as much as possible. I like 50' as it lets trucks and trailers get completely off the road.

Will any woman ever drive through your gate? If so then 16' minimum. Use the good hinges with the ball bearing and grease fitting and you will never have a problem.

I make all my gates out of 2"x14 ga. square. It looks fairly massive but still light and all of them are still swinging, some over 30 years.
Attached Images

Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2018, 12:23 AM   #20
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

We went with a big diameter pipe for the two verticals and top piece. Used a telehandler to lift into place individually. Still in the rough phase. It’s along a major highway, so it needed to stand out and look beefy.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2018, 12:26 AM   #21
Acameron52
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jacksboro & Coleman

Make it bigger than you think you need!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #22
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:

I said no doubles because of the pain to open/close them all the time. But if you plan to leave them open most of the time then no worries there. I was just throwing out ideas to make your life easier, thats all.

BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2018, 09:15 AM   #23
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

We just have an open driveway at the house, but I do have a grand entrance (practical edition) down the road at deer camp.

I second having it back off the road, not for traffic reasons in my case, but for bigger rigs to have space to turn in. Have to consider getting log trucks & equipment in and out.

If I kept gates locked, I might consider and automatic opener, but mine are usually open and Im too cheap, so no help there!
Attached Images

Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #24
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Thanks for all the input.
First, I'm on a private road, so no traffic, other than 2 neighbors that live past my future drive way, but it will be at least 16ft in. Second, main reason I'm going with double gates is the design I have come up with. Even though I haven't started on it, that still could change and could go to a single gate.
Third, the top part of the entrance will be arched. Going to lay it out here at work and get measurements on 16ft high, to make sure I have enough material on hand.
Last, me and the other 3 neighbors on this road are on board with putting in a automatic gate at the start of my property,which would mean I won't have to put one on my drive.
I'm a long ways from doing any of this, but am getting it on paper now and materials. If I get built what I have plan now, it's gonna look so awesome, being I have never seen anything close to it. I will try to get some pics posted up when I start and thru till finish.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #25
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

I don't need fancy for an entrance so I have 12' and a 14' galvanized pipe gate that swing to meet in the middle. I leave them open. It is a pain in arse to open gates every time you come or go. Unless you are just made of money, build the house first and see if there is anything left for a gate.

If we ever start having problems with intruders, I suppose that I will put up a gate with a remote opener on it. I get so many UPS and postal deliveries to the house that I will rue the day when I have to lock the place down.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top