Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal ?'s (didn't want any part of poaching threads)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal ?'s (didn't want any part of poaching threads)

The numerous poaching and success threads got me to thinking about what was legal and what wasn’t and wanted to see what everyone thought. If this has been discussed I apologize for not finding the thread (I did a quick search and nothing popped up).

Scenario 1: Bowhunting regular archery season (no MLD, etc.) and you shoot a deer in the morning. You call in a dog to find it and it is still alive when you get there in the afternoon (legal shooting hours). Is it legal to shoot it with a gun or do you have to use a bow? If legal to shoot with a gun and dog handler shoots it, is that still legal and/or who tags it? In short is using a gun legal in this situation?

Scenario 2: Bowhunting regular archery season (no MLD, etc.) and you shoot a deer in the evening. You call in a dog to find it and it is still alive when you get there at night (after legal shooting hours). Is it legal to shoot it (after hours)? I’m assuming the answer to scenario 1 would still apply (gun vs bow, etc.) and factor in. In short regardless of answer to Scenario 1 is it legal to shoot the wounded deer after hours? It seems like this is in some part what makes the 271" buck potentially illegal although the time frame, etc factor in as well.

Scenario 3: Bowhunting regular season (gun hunting allowed, etc) and you shoot a deer in the evening. You call in a dog to find it and it is still alive when you get there at night (after legal shooting hours). Is it legal to shoot it (after hours) with whatever method available? Should be same answers as 1 & 2 but wanted to make sure.

All of these scenarios assume using a tracking dog is legal.

Scene 1: Never allowed to dispatch with a gun during archery only season unless MLD.

Others...I will wait and see the responses.

Good questions!

Comment

Here is my guess. Don't forget that laws and ethics don't always go hand in hand.

1: No cannot use a gun
      2: No cannot shoot after legal shooting hours
      3: No cannot shoot after legal shooting hours

Not to get off topic but does anyone know if the law for after hours only is towards shooting? Or dispatching in general? As in can you cut a deer's throat after hours "legally"? This is all a touchy subject and I think for most people who are truly just trying to be ethical follow the don't ask don't tell rule.

I can see why they have the rules like they do though. If not, all the outlaws would be shooting deer in archery season with rifles, shooting an arrow through the dead carcass and claiming a bow kill.
      Last edited by 44mAG; 10-24-2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I'm not expert but I would say

1. No gun, If dog handler finishes him off, he must tag it. I had a buddy get in trouble that way.
        2. Not after hours
        3. Not after hours.

Comment

Good questions

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
            Here is my guess. Don't forget that laws and ethics don't always go hand in hand.

1: No cannot use a gun
            2: No cannot shoot after legal shooting hours
            3: No cannot shoot after legal shooting hours

Not to get off topic but does anyone know if the law for after hours only is towards shooting? Or dispatching in general? As in can you cut a deer's throat after hours "legally"? This is all a touchy subject and I think for most people who are truly just trying to be ethical follow the don't ask don't tell rule.

I can see why they have the rules like they do though. If not, all the outlaws would be shooting deer in archery season with rifles, shooting an arrow through the dead carcass and claiming a bow kill.
            I could be wrong but I don't think a knife is legal means of taking game animals.

Comment

the knife scenario happened a few years ago. a guy
              a doe get hit by a car, he meant well and cut it's
              ,(jugular) to kill it. the warden was not happy. don't know the final outcome.

Comment

From a dog handler perspective, i asked this question of our warden several years ago. Unless my dog is in danger....i'm not killing the deer. If he is...well legalities don't really matter, i'll protect my dog & suffer any consequences that may come out of it

There's a reason wardens carry cell phones, firearms & work all hours...
                Last edited by RodinaRanč; 10-24-2017, 05:10 PM.

Comment

No

no

no

Comment

I need to know the answers too. I'm glad this thread was started.

Comment

I called game warden and he said legal archery only and to finish the kill with another arrow

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
                        I called game warden and he said legal archery only and to finish the kill with another arrow

Not after dark

Comment

Its funny how different states view this. The following is copied from the North Carolina regulations:

If a hunter kills or wounds a big game animal during legal shooting hours the hunter may use a portable light source and a single dog on a leash to assist the hunter in retrieving the dead or wounded big game animal and may dispatch a wounded big game animal using a .22-caliber rimfire pistol, archery equipment, or a hand gun otherwise legal for that hunting season. If necessary, the hunter may also retrieve wounded big game in this manner from 30 minutes after sunset to 11:00 pm.

Comment

Usually like anything else common sense has no application here with the rules.
                            It’s ridiculous.

Comment

Call gw and ask. He will you tell straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X