Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Elk Hunt recap - First time, Lessons learned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Elk Hunt recap - First time, Lessons learned.

Let me first say, that I know we underestimated the entire thing. This is going to sound like we hated it, we didnt. I had a blast. We had alot of things working against us IMO. I wouldnt trade the experience, though. Ill be back, wihtout a doubt.

My buddy and I have been planning this hunt for over a year. We both read Cameron Hanes' book about 3 years ago, and last December, decided to make it happen for 2017. We wanted to do it fully DIY, Backpack, hardcore style.

We are no stranger to public land (in Texas). I have waterfowl and deer hunted Texas public land for over 10 years, with pretty good success. My buddy started hunting waterfowl about 3 years ago with me. And only deer hunted last year.

We both are in good physical condition, and have been working out regularly for awhile. But we knew we had to step it up. We began religiously going to the gym 5-6 days a week, before work in the mornings at 5am on shift days, upping the cardio DRASTICALLY, and have been doing this since at least march 2017.

We researched areas and units, and decided to put in for a draw unit in CO, with a high draw success rate for NR's. This unit, from what we saw, was very large, had a slightly less than average elk population, and elevation. It had lots of ATV trails, but we thought that since it was so large with so much elevation change, we would be ok.

We drew the unit we wanted.

Now it was time to start prepping.

We got everything in order. Bought gear. Discussed gear. Argued plans, etc, etc.

Packs weight in a little over 55 lbs fully loaded with water and 10 days of supplies.

Day 1:
    We left on the 13th and made the 12 hr drive through the night and arrived the morning on the 14th ready to rock and roll. Left the trailhead around 10am and made it about 2.5 miles in on a valley trail when it started raining on us. We donned the raingear and kept going. Shortly after that we began climbing a ridgeline about 3 miles in and made it from about 8800 to 9800 feet. It was challenging, but we handled the first climb well. We started glassing on this ridgeline, but didnt see much as the unit is mostly black timber aside from the valleys. We began walking up the ridgeline. At about 5pm a real downpour started, so we began looking for a camp. We found a site and set up for the night. Ate our meal for the night and went to sleep. At
    this point, we had found no elk sign, or heard anything resembling an Elk.

Day 2: We woke up about sunrise and ate our freeze dried meals. Then we found our first real issue. There is no water up there. I have a paper map, and we were using ONX hunt. We had been all over this ridge the day before. We made the descent into the valley, and made water for the day. 4L each. This took the better part of half an hr. Let me add that on the way down we noticed an ATV trail that led up the mountain, that was not marked on ONX or my paper map. At this time we began discussing the plan for the day. We had made it quite a way up the ridgeline the previous day, so we decided to move further down and across the valley and check out the other side.

The ridgeline we were on, the day before, was one of the ridges that met at the highest points of the unit at 12500 ft.

We went across and hiked to about 9800 ft, started scouting saddles and draws. We found TONS of mule deer sign (no muley tags), and game trails. Sat on some meadows for awhile, and decided to sit on the south face for the rest of the afternoon and glass the opposing north faces and listen. We had a great view of the higher side of the unit. Let me add here, that the highest ridgeline on the south side of the unit was also the southern border of the unit. Again, visibility into the opposing side of the valley and ridgelines was limited, but we had some areas we could see into. At the end of the day, we decided to head to the trailhead and camp near the truck, as we had seen or heard nothing of elk. The plan changed, and we set up camp near the trucks (where we had plenty of water that we brought), and lightened our packs to a 'day load'. We decided we would scout the next day and go in to 'backpack mode' when we had some clues as to where the elk were.

Upon making it to the truck, we realized that the trailhead was now full of people. Each group had 4-wheelers for every man, and campers, and wall tents, all that we met were locals. We began talking to these guys and sharing info with them. They had been here since the day we arrived (they arrived after we left the truck), and had been all over the unit. Im surprised we didnt see any of them while we were in there. The general opinion was that they werent in the rut yet, as no one had seen any elk, or heard a bugle. The other hunters were very friendly and liberal with information. It seemed like they had all discussed and agreed on 'areas' that each party would stick to. The guy (Martin) we were camped near said he had been all the way to the highest ridgeline and all over it, and said that he thinks that the rut wont start for at least another week, and they wouldnt be moving down in any real numbers until after that.

This was all pretty discouraging, but Martin himself was adamant on lifting us up and telling us not to feel that way, just keep after it.

Day 3, we woke earlier and moved in a little further than the previous days. The first elevation we gained, we paused, and here came the 4 wheeler convoy. We watched those guys make the distance we had just earned in sweat over a couple hrs in about 10 minutes, going all different ways into all different mountains. We made 3 ridgelines and walked all over them, up, down and around. Saw a little Elk sign, that was dry and old. Heard nothing. Came back to camp late afternoon and decided to get in the truck and look at different areas. On our drive, we saw 4 cow elk on the backside of a mountain that we had scouted extensively on day 2. This got us fired up. We arrived back at camp and talked with some other guys. The general opinion hadnt changed. No one had seen or heard anything but Muleys.

We woke up the next morning, made the peak that the cows were using, dropped our packs, and began working the backside of that mountain. We went all over it, keeping the wind at our face. We saw or heard nothing, again. Found some fresh sign on a trail that led to the valley the cows were in, and backed out to eat lunch on the peak. Upon arriving at our packs, there was a MONSTER muley about 100 yds from it, we sat and watched him for a few minuted until the wind changed and he winded us. We ate lunch and had a short nap. That afternoon we moved into the north side of that mountain. Our plan for the afternoon was to split up and sit high and low on that trail. I sat on a meadow near the top that the trail went through, and my buddy sat about 1/2 mile down the draw off of the trail. After we split up, it came a **** floater. It was pretty miserable, to be honest. Around dark I went down the draw and met up with my buddy and we went back to camp. Again, no one had seen or heard a thing.

We began talking about what to do the next day, and we decided to call the hunt. We headed home that evening.

Am I disappointed in myself? A little, yes.

I dont think we could have physically prepared more than we did. Those climbs were tough, but we handled them. I think we had our packs a little heavy.

I think we 'idolized' the Cam Hanes type guys a little too much, and frankly, I dont believe that they do things 100% like they say they do, lol. I dont see how guys can hike in that far, with that much gear, have to make water every day, and eat as much as is required, then make and take down camp before and after dark each day and still have time to hunt every day is possible.

I think our timing was off, we expected to go into the unit and hear bugles all day and night long. I now know that is not reality.

All those 4 wheelers were pretty darn discouraging. To work your butt off to get as far and high as we did those first two days only to find out everyone else in the unit was over 10 times as far in as you were is one heck of a bummer.

I'll be back, without a doubt. There is a fire inside me, and I know by experience that when I feel this way I dont stop until I get it.

Is 100% true backpack hunting for me? Prob not.

I think next time we are going to get a group of 4+ guys together and get base camp gear. Bring our ATVs and move in a ways and set up base camp well inside the unit, near a water source. From there we will have the option of either day hunting or spike camping further in for a day or two at a time.

Reading over this post its kind of comical, im a little embarrassed as this makes me seem a bit like a you know what. But I learned alot, about elk hunting, and myself. We overestimated ourselves, and underestimated the entire thing.

We will be back. Here are some pics for your enjoyment.
    Disclaimer: Ignore the mad look. I get that all the time. I enjoyed the hell out of the whole trip.

About 5 min after leaving the truck.

Shortly after leaving the trailhead, about 2 miles in. Break after donning raingear.

The first climb.

At the first peak.

Climbing on the 2nd day, going to the south face of this one to view opposing north faces. Looking south.

Glassing.

Same Spot, looking a little more east.

Again.

Day 4, Nap break after lunch

Peak of the mountain, looking into the valley where we saw the cows.

The meadow I sat on the last afternoon.

Great write-up. It's these hard hunted seasons where you don't bring home an elk that will season that meat when you finally are successful.

It took me 4 elk hunts before I got my first elk. Keep at it. It's hard, but that's why we do it.

Comment

That sounds everything like my first DIY elk experience went

Comment

Nice write up. Ive been researching for a muley hunt next year and doing my best to get a unit with restricted motorized access. I can imagine the feeling of getting back to the truck and seeing the lot full of 4 wheeler.
        Last edited by CEO; 09-19-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Good write up.

Comment

A few more pics I pulled off my buddys FB page.

Comment

Hearing your story and seeing those pics, really has me wanting to go after them. Thanks for sharing with us.

Sent while sitting in the woods becoming one with nature.

Comment

However hard you think it will be, it is about double that on DIY elk trip. Good write up

Comment

That is the reason it is called hunting. If you really want to get into elk in Colorado, only 2 options, private land or find a Wildlife refuge area that does not allow any wheeled vehicle and get back at least 5 miles from the trailhead and you will find elk. I hunted many years in the Weminuche Wilderness area south of Creede and can count on both hands the number of hunters I saw over about 20 years of hunting that area. It has been a long time since I have been there, but man did we see some great bulls. Some over 400 inches and that is no joke, but that is some big, rough country. Lost a great 320" maybe 330" bull when I hit a twig. Killed a few bulls out of that area over the years between the guys that went. I would love to go back. We went with an outfitter as a drop camp and hunted on our own with no horses but had them to pack ot elk if needed.

Comment

Man your story sounds exactly like my sons trip last year. It was their first trip (went with three buddies) as well and completely blind DYI. They hunted hard for 7 days and "heard" one bugle and just like you, they were hooked!!! They changed units this year, to unit 61 I think. It's NW of Montrose. I have been getting updates and this year they did take a Polaris and 4 wheeler. They have located 6-7 bulls of which the biggest is about 240" he says. Problem is that they are literally in a non accessible canyon. He says it s the roughest/thickest stuff he has ever been in. I think he's crazy but he is loving it. I enjoyed your write up. Forgot to ad the pic. He says the elk are in the bottom of this canyon!!!!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by bklem; 09-19-2017, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      That is the reason it is called hunting. If you really want to get into elk in Colorado, only 2 options, private land or find a Wildlife refuge area that does not allow any wheeled vehicle and get back at least 5 miles from the trailhead and you will find elk. I hunted many years in the Weminuche Wilderness area south of Creede and can count on both hands the number of hunters I saw over about 20 years of hunting that area. It has been a long time since I have been there, but man did we see some great bulls. Some over 400 inches and that is no joke, but that is some big, rough country. Lost a great 320" maybe 330" bull when I hit a twig. Killed a few bulls out of that area over the years between the guys that went. I would love to go back. We went with an outfitter as a drop camp and hunted on our own with no horses but had them to pack ot elk if needed.
                      My favorite area to hunt is where you are talking about. The first year was good to us, but the last 2 years we were overrun with people. We decided to head up to Montana this year. But I'll pack my horses up at least once more and give it another go one day.

Comment

Awesome write up. I think you just lessened the learning curve.

Comment

Tv makes elk hunting look way easier than it is. Cam Hanes is a joke up here btw. Watch Randy Newberg on YouTube. He's the real deal.

I didn't say this, but come up to Montana. Way less crowded up here. Lots of general units you can just buy your tags otc as well.

I've never hunted Colorado, but I've heard it's a **** show.

Comment

Up here now and it's silly the number of people. Camps on top of camps and 4wheelers everywhere. Sounds like you have he right attitude so keep pounding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good write up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X