Fire-in-the-hole broadhead review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire-in-the-hole broadhead review

Week before last, a thread popped up, asking about these heads.
    Shortly after, someone that works at the company (possibly the owner) got on here and posted a few comments. He also said he was needing to test them on hogs, and left his email. I emailed him and told him that I'd be on a hog hunt in a few days and would gladly test them, and give a review.

So, here we are, 100 grain FITH on the end of my arrow. There were multiple pigs, in range, but I picked a small sow, maybe 60 pounds, to shoot first. He'd sent me 3 broadheads and I figured if it worked well on the small pig, I'd work my way up to a bigger pig.

My bow is an Elite Hunter, 28" draw, 55 pounds.
    Arrows are Easton FMJ, 400 grains, total weight.

I've shot several animals with this bow, and haven't had any issues with penetration. My normal broadheads of choice are Rage 2 blade, Slick Trick, or Shuttle T-loc. I've killed animals with all three of those, out of this bow.

The shot was broadside, at exactly 20 yards.
    I aimed just behind the front leg, a little lower than midway up the body.
    The arrow hit exactly where I was aiming.
    Then, the unexpected happened.

THE ARROW BOUNCED OFF THE PIG!

I can only assume that it penetrated, to the ring, and then stopped.
    The pig trotted off, wondering what just happened ... not even a limp!

There were other people there, that saw the shot.
    This is what was left of the broadhead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6d04d1dd945c3df339c5341e70501cb7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	25106330

We had downed another hog, earlier in the day. It was nearby so we went to retrieve it. As we drug it out, I decided that I wanted to shoot it, with the second FITH, that I had in my quiver. We propped it up, and I shot it, right where I would have shot it if it was alive. It wasn't a fluke, the arrow just stopped. ZERO penetration!

At this point, I'm starting to wonder if it's my bow, so I pulled out an arrow that had a Slick Trick on it. I shot it at the same spot, and it zipped through the pig like she wasn't there. The tan/camo arrow is the arrow with the FITH broadhead, exactly as it lay, after the shot.

Name:	33525b8506d0a952ebeb0aa3f5ee1db9.jpg
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	25106331

The FITH website shows some big holes, in some deer. I had exactly the opposite result. The broadhead did not perform, as the manufacturer describes; at least not on pigs. The two pigs I shot, were both sows, so neither had a shield. The first was about 60 pounds, the second was probably 100 pounds. The FITH broadhead did not penetrate either pig.

I would not recommend the Fire-In-The-Hole broadhead for pig hunting.

Maybe it hit a bone perfectly for the rebound? Magic broadhead = magic bullet perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
      Maybe it hit a bone perfectly for the rebound? Magic broadhead = magic bullet perhaps.
      I'm not ruling that out, but what are the odds that it hit a bone, perfectly, twice in a row?

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
        I'm not ruling that out, but what are the odds that it hit a bone, perfectly, twice in a row?
        Low probability.

Comment

Lol wow what a joke

Comment

Any feedback/reply from the company about the performance?

DJ

Comment

Good review Kevin. I also received a set of FITH. Work has ramped up for me, so I won't have time to test them out for a couple months. Just from looking at the new heads and your review, they are not something I would consider using. Maybe they would be good on turkey?

If anyone wants to try them out, send me a pm with your address.
              Last edited by Traildust; 01-31-2017, 07:09 AM.

Comment

These had a ring down toward the end of the blades? I dont see how that would go in very far.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  Good review Kevin. I also received a set of FITH. Work has ramped up for me, so I won't have time to test them out for a couple months. Just from looking at the new heads and your review, they are not something I would consider using. Maybe they would be good on turkey?

If anyone want to try them out, send me a pm with your address.
                  I think they'd be a great small game head. I'm not sure I'd try them on a turkey; those feathers are surprisingly tough to get through, sometimes.

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                  These had a ring down toward the end of the blades? I dont see how that would go in very far.
                  Yes, this is what they look like, intact.

Name:	fire.jpg
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	24482331

Comment

I had the same result in a ram, with the old heads. I am a sales rep for them but have not gotten to try the new head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                      I think they'd be a great small game head. I'm not sure I'd try them on a turkey; those feathers are surprisingly tough to get through, sometimes.

Yes, this is what they look like, intact.
                      [ATTACH]838585[/ATTACH]
                      Thats it's c**k ring! Rooster that is....

Comment

Originally posted by MA ELite View Post
                        I had the same result in a ram, with the old heads. I am a sales rep for them but have not gotten to try the new head.
                        How do you sell something, that you know first hand, doesn't work?

Comment

Fire in the hole always meant something else and you should stay away from it.

Comment

Originally posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
                            If you're referring to curtains and carpet ... I never had any issues with that.
                            Now quit trying to derail this, Justin!

Comment

Originally posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
                              Just the opposite....Red on the head, FITH! TRUTH!

Comment

Working...
                              X