Handicapped Blind Accessibility Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handicapped Blind Accessibility Help Please

In short my good friend was severely injured about 3 or 4 weeks ago while we were working at our deer lease. A 10ft metal tower blind blew on top of him shortly after it was setup. He was flown to San Antonio where he spent two weeks in ICU. He broke four vertebrae, four ribs, fractured his ankle, and required two extensive operations. Simply put he is grateful to be alive, his spinal cord was not broken and his critical nerve bundles were not torn however he has not yet regained the ability to operate his legs or the control of his bowels/bladder. He can feel sensation to his toes and it is very early on so we all remain optimistic and are encouraging him. He was moved to Dallas for rehab where he is working with a PT four times a day learning how to utilize the leg muscles that are responding and adapting his upper body to take care of himself. For anyone who believes that God has a plan and would like to pray for him his name is Kyle Grant, he is 33 years old, him and his wife have three children ages 1, 5, and 7 years old. I have known Kyle for many many years, and all I can say is the guy is like damascus steel, tough as they come, he is a hard worker, and believes with all of his heart that this accident will be used to glorify God one way or another. If you care to know more about this you can read this post from facebook and follow in sequence from there.

In the meantime I am reaching out to TBHers to ask if anyone can suggest ways to help get Kyle in the woods this year. I know that may seem secondary but we have a crew building ramps for his house and modifying his bathroom and shower so that he can function at home but I am strongly inclined to do what I can to get him in the woods this fall. I have a system in mind to get him in a ground blind but logically he will probably need to shoot a rifle this year and his blinds are elevated to accommodate the south Texas brush. I know that this season for him will be about getting his boy in the woods with him so my goal is to purchase or build something that can safely get him into his blind. I have a modest topdrive tahoe that uses a hand throttle that I think will be very helpful but again I am trying to get him into the top drive or blind without having to throw him over my shoulder or something equally dangerous and humbling.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. -JMW

Prayers sent

Comment

Why not have him hunt out of a Krivoman type blind?
      You can wheel him up to it, tip it over roll him close then tip it back over him

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

4wheels here is a close friend of mine. We have hit the woods more than once. I built a 3 sided blind in a hedge row where he could pull in - get himself out of the truck - and hunt a blind in San Saba. No help needed.
          Getting him on the front porch of the cabin was more of a snatch and throw moment. Most of the time it worked.

Hi Henry..............
          Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 09-08-2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
            Pm sent
            thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
              Why not have him hunt out of a Krivoman type blind?
              You can wheel him up to it, tip it over roll him close then tip it back over him
              Open to all ideas, thank you.

Comment

I sent a PM..

I guess the limits to hunting will be determined partially by disability. The closest I got to killing a pig, was when I was under a tree. Not sure the whole blind thing does much. But I am a city boy and don't know much about hunting.

We hunted in San Saba and I drove to town to use a hotel to take a shower then back to the lease for hunting and drinking. There are a lot of portable ramps that you can buy. Easy to assemble and easy to make a camp house kinda accessible.

I have a 2004 honda element I need to sell because I am in love with a colt that someone is selling on the GS. AC does not work, needs about 2k of work and it has about 140k miles on it. I would like to sell it for 2500. I mention it because I still have the hand controls inside. They are left handed. You control the gas and break with the left hand, and steer with the right hand. Element has a lot of room to put wheelchair in back seat. (depending on the kind of chair he is using) This is his first month in - so it might be a bit ambitious to drive, hunt and such. Again it will depend on what he brings to the party.

First month in?... Does he even know how to get in and out of a wheelchair on his own? Getting independent is a pretty long ride.

Comment

Prayers

Air conditioned truck.... Power windows are good for elevation.......

Comment

Driving around with a buddy or two, nothing serious...... Good for the soul

Comment

Originally posted by 4wheels View Post
                      I sent a PM..

I guess the limits to hunting will be determined partially by disability. The closest I got to killing a pig, was when I was under a tree. Not sure the whole blind thing does much. But I am a city boy and don't know much about hunting.

We hunted in San Saba and I drove to town to use a hotel to take a shower then back to the lease for hunting and drinking. There are a lot of portable ramps that you can buy. Easy to assemble and easy to make a camp house kinda accessible.

I have a 2004 honda element I need to sell because I am in love with a colt that someone is selling on the GS. AC does not work, needs about 2k of work and it has about 140k miles on it. I would like to sell it for 2500. I mention it because I still have the hand controls inside. They are left handed. You control the gas and break with the left hand, and steer with the right hand. Element has a lot of room to put wheelchair in back seat. (depending on the kind of chair he is using) This is his first month in - so it might be a bit ambitious to drive, hunt and such. Again it will depend on what he brings to the party.

First month in?... Does he even know how to get in and out of a wheelchair on his own? Getting independent is a pretty long ride.

Yes
                      It is a long ride...... And a tough one at that

Comment

When I started reading that I thought dang he went blind too after reading the title! Thank goodness he's not blind. That said just wheelchair him up by some brush and build a little makeshift blind around him or set a pop up over him and brush it up while he's inside. Should work good enough to shoot something in the hill country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What about a Ghost Blind? A buddy of mine who I grew up huntin with was paralyzed in a vehicle accident when he was 17. He uses a Ghost Blind for turkey huntin and has a ground blind for deer. I don't know exactly what your thoughts are on getting something like an Outbounder but that's what he uses. Getting around in a wheelchair over rough terrain isn't easy.

Comment

I like Buff's idea or you could go this route:

You could build a low platform 2-4 ft with a ramp pretty easily.

Comment

Working...
                            X