A Tale of 3 Trails: First Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Tale of 3 Trails: First Track

Bow season this year for me was defined by finding deer after confusing or long tracking jobs. All three ended successfully, and I thought sharing the stories might help others when they are on the search after turning that arrow loose.

The first track happened in early bow season after LuckOfTheDraw made me aware of a large 6 point cull buck frequenting one of our setups. A non-descript morning found me waiting for my target. Somewhat late I saw a young buck meander up out of the draw and start vacuuming up corn, he wasn't who I was looking for, but it was better than watching the quail scurry about. A few minutes later, the young buck looks over his shoulder the way he came, and I see the frame of a 6 point that's way too large bobbing above the brush. A minute later the target cull buck walks out. He's a tad spooky though and refuses to move into a shooting lane. I remind myself its early in the season and no reason to force or rush a shot. Sometime later he works his way into a clear lane and is turned broadside. I draw.... nose to string, string to corner of mouth... center peep.... puuuulllllllll *thump* My first instinct on impact was HIGH AND RIGHT. He peels out, and as he disappears I can see a dark spot on the offside as he dives into the draw ahead of me. The exit looked perfect. Right after he disappeared from sight I started my stopwatch running.

I felt pretty good about the shot, especially after seeing the blood on his side as he exited. I waited 15 minutes, then quietly exited the stand and made the 5 minute walk to the truck. Once there I sent a few texts of "arrow away", and had a sip of coffee. At 30 minutes out from the shot, I slowly drove up to within 100 yards of the blind, exited and went to look for my arrow and blood. No arrow. Blood was sparse at impact but I found a few quarter sized bright red splotches within 10 yards. The only thing I didn't like about the blood was no bubbles. Another 10 yards brought me to the drop off into the draw, and that brought a terrain change. It went from dirt/rock to knee high grass and weeds. Within 10 yards of the drop-off I had lost the blood. I looked for about 10 minutes without finding another drop of blood. My heart began sinking, maybe in the speed of the moment I had seen the exit wrong.... I took a deep breath, and reminded myself that Bowie, my dog, was in camp taking a nap.

Bowie isn't a purpose bred or trained tracking dog. He's a rescue dog from the local shelter, that has probably a majority of pit in him. However, he has always been a dog all about his nose and did help me find a wounded pig last year. So I headed back to camp, refilled my coffee, and loaded Bowie up. We returned to the scene of the crime a little over an hour and a half after the shot.

He wasn't really interested in anything by the feeder, so I led him over to the draw and then it started. He was nose to the ground, sweeping and moving forward. Down the hill we went at a brisk pace, Bowie leaning into the leash and me trying to maintain my footing. Then we hit a split in the trail... 3 possible escape routes... Bowie paused, his head swept side to side sucking in huge amounts of air through his sniffer.... then he stopped, nose went back to the ground and we continued our descent. I had been scanning the trail we had taken and had not seen any blood to this point. I was putting 100% faith in my buddy at this point. As we reached an open area and shelf on our descent we walked up on a 6" diameter pool of blood on the ground, Bowie paused a second on it and surged ahead. 10 seconds later we were standing over the buck. We'd made it probably a little over 100 yards, and in the end the deer was laying in an open area where he could have been found with a grid search fairly easily. However, Bowie had made the track in probably under 5 minutes with complete confidence and the perfect outcome.

The entrance wound had been high and right in the liver area, the exit had been middle of the body and behind the shoulder. In the end both my instincts were right, though it doesn't turn out that way all the time. Fortunately the deer had been quartered just enough away that the angle made it a quickly lethal hit. The arrow was never found despite additional searching. So my first takeawy from a track for 2015 was if in doubt.... get a dog on it. Pictures attached include blood at the start of the trail, entrance wound, exit wound, and then the LDP.
    Attached Files

Awesome to see the successful recovery!

Comment

Good job!! Buy that dog a steak!!!

Comment

very nice

Comment

Good story, I can't wait to read the other 2.

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
          .... I had been scanning the trail we had taken and had not seen any blood to this point. I was putting 100% faith in my buddy at this point. .....
          I'm glad you said this. Some dog owners don't have this kind of faith in their dogs. One of my dogs tracked a deer for 200 yards with me not seeing any blood in the daylight. I was about to give up when he stopped on top of a pool of blood. We kept tracking and found the deer after another 100 yards.

Comment

Winner

Comment

Hope you gave Bowie an extra treat for that. Awesome reminder and looking forward to the next two stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
                Good job!! Buy that dog a steak!!!
                Originally posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
                Hope you gave Bowie an extra treat for that. Awesome reminder and looking forward to the next two stories.
                Oh I acted like he had won the Super Bowl, which he feeds off of like its a drug. He also gets to nose, chew, and stand on top of "his" deer for a good while. If you think this one was good... I'll try to get the next one up tomorrow... it is without a doubt the most wild and crazy tracking event I have ever been a part of. My best friend crittergetter76, Bowie, and I went on a WILD ride.

Comment

Awesome write up. Looking forward to the next one.

Good Dog.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                      congrats

Thanks

Comment

Good deal!!

Comment

Great read!! Thanks for sharing and congrats to both hunters, man and dog...

Comment

Nice write up.
                            They take off so fast that on high hits they are dead before the get to bleeding good.
                            Kinda had the same situation Fri, but my dog was fingershooter lol.
                            Nice buck cull or mot.
                            Did you hear him crash?

Comment

Great read Matt. I know that I had a hard time trusting my dog for quite a while. I finally learned to trust him even if I couldn't see any evidence but it usually worked out better that way. I don't have him anymore but am just getting started training a new one.
                              I may bring her with me when I come up there next week. Maybe you'll get to meet her if you're there.

Comment

Working...
                              X