So My 7 Year Old Wants to Build a Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So My 7 Year Old Wants to Build a Blind

Got home from work one day last week and barely got in the door when my son was on me like a duck on a Junebug asking to build a deer blind. After the "yeah, yeah we can talk about that....we will need to sketch out what you want" speech I give him to create some room he leaves and returns in a flash with his design.
    (Later my wife told me he'd been working, starting over and working on that schematic for a good chunk of the day.)
    The boy has this serious look to him now.

"Well!?! Can we build it?????"
    What can you tell a kid who has spent untold minutes on such an elaborate and innovative deer killing hideout other than, "Yes but how are you going to pay for it?". He just got this dumbfounded look on his face. In his head I could almost hear him saying, "Dummy, you are going to pay for it." but what came rolling out of his mouth was, "I have 107 dollars...". Ok then. He's serious enough to pony up his allowance, birthday and Christmas money stash. He really is serious!

To that I told him I didn't think that was enough but we could get started on firming up the design and getting a materials list together.

We went to Home Depot on Friday to get prices and after some number crunching determined that the cost of the materials we lacked would cost about $150. I told him that I'd help him build it but he would have to get his financing from the First National Bank of Mom.

We went back to HD today and picked up our materials. The boy learned the hard way that you have to pick through about 150 2x2's to find 14 semi straight ones.
    We got 95% of what we needed but still lack the paint and a few hinges.
    When we got to the counter I told him that it was his show so he needed to count out the money to the HD cashier and make sure he got his change back. The bill was for $137 and change.
    He was a bit nervous but got it right and took the change, telling the man "Thank You".

When we got home he took the receipt straight to his loan officer and signed his contract. he will repay the $25 financed at $5 per week. He was not happy at all about that part. I asked him before going to HD why he was sad and he said it was because he didn't want to give away all his money. When I asked him if he wanted the blind or the money worse he said he wanted his own blind. You may think it's too hard on a 7 yr old making him pay all he has and go into debt to such a ruthless lending institution for a blind but I know of no better way to instill the value of money. He needs to learn that things aren't free and you have to work for things. This is another lesson for him.

Also for helping him build it he has agreed to allow me to use it anytime I want. We have a handshake agreement in that.

The little guy is excited as all get out to get started. We will start a thread in the DIY forum shortly.

This is awesome man! This is how you get them started right here

Comment

That's awesome. Teaching him early the value of money.

Comment

Atta boy!

Comment

Nicely done pop. You're a good man.

Comment

Great read and awesome teaching ! Heck of a way to be a dad ! We need more out there like you ! Congrats !

Comment

Wow...this is so awesome man! Not a more important thread going on the green screen right now than this! What a great lesson!

Well played Dad...well played indeed!! I'm in!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                Wow...this is so awesome man! Not a more important thread going on the green screen right now than this! What a great lesson!

Well played Dad...well played indeed!! I'm in!!!
                Nailed it man. This is an awesome thread.

Comment

Very awesome!!! I wish my step kids( 10 and 12 year old girls) had that kind of money values. Your doing a great job!!!

Comment

Well done

Comment

That's great

Comment

That's cool. Most kids probably would've bailed when they found out that they had to pony up the cash.

Comment

About a dozen great lessons have already been learned on this one. Great parenting job. Bonus is he gets a blind.

Comment

That is awesome! You win at Daddying! But what the heck?? The Bank of Mom isn't charging interest??

Comment

Originally posted by kmlj9491 View Post
                              That is awesome! You win at Daddying! But what the heck?? The Bank of Mom isn't charging interest??

I already explained the concept of sales tax at HD. Tough for a 7 yr old. (It's more of HIS money.)

But oh don't be fooled, Mom is charging a steep origination fee but has a decent interest rate. I'm handling both (taking them out in trade).

Little man has plenty of time to learn about interest and fees.

Comment

Working...
                              X