Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 05-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
bigdaddy590
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere Possible
Default Down sides of 300 BO?

Fixing to build an AR. I will eventually get a suppressor but that is years down the line more than likely.
Right now I'm leaning towards 300BO because of the interchanging bolt from 556 and the suppression capability.

I like the looks of the Grendel and the 6.8 spc. Most of my shots are under 200 on running swine with the occasional coyote.

How available is 300 BO ammo? Are there any major downsides to this round?
bigdaddy590 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
Fixing to build an AR. I will eventually get a suppressor but that is years down the line more than likely.
Right now I'm leaning towards 300BO because of the interchanging bolt from 556 and the suppression capability.

I like the looks of the Grendel and the 6.8 spc. Most of my shots are under 200 on running swine with the occasional coyote.

How available is 300 BO ammo? Are there any major downsides to this round?
Only downside I've found is price of ammo!
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
cuttingedge
Ten Point

Hunt In: hardly at all here

I really like the 6.5 grendel. I bought an Alexander Arms upper but before I got a chance to shoot it, someone wanted it WAY worse than I did and I sold it.

I think for a Multi- purpose caliber in the AR platform it's hard to beat.

It would work well for anything up to deer size game, and maybe even a bit larger game.
To me, the only advantages to a 300 BO is the BCG and mags being the same as a 5.56. admittedly, I built my 300 BO upper when ammo for it was impossible to find and that turned me off to it.

Given the choices, I would go 6.5 Grendel 1st for ballistics and FPS, 6.8 SPC 2nd for ammo availability, and 300 BO 3rd because it doesn't appeal to me as much for a hunting round.
cuttingedge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
bigdaddy590
Ten Point

Thanks for that cuttingedge. The rifle will probably never be taken out for anything other than yotes and hogs. The ol 30-06 gets called out for deer and above.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:54 AM   #5
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: mismatched camo

I have found .300BLK difficult to source locally, in the second biggest city in Texas, if that tells you anything.

Sometimes it's on the shelf, sometimes it ain't. It is never there in such significant quantities that I can be choosy about which kind I want.

"Just buy it online." Yeah that works . . . IF you've already somehow determined what exact cocktail you need and are willing to buy enough to offset the shipping cost.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 01:03 AM   #6
redfishted
Ten Point

Hunt In: Earth

I have had no problem finding 300 blk out ammo lately, usually Academy will have Remington 220 subs, and several supersonic options.
redfishted is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Academy has plenty of 300 BO ammo.
Choices are limited but that's ok. I've found that the Barnes 110 is the perfect hunting round for the 300 BO.
Nate has been using the Remington 120 grain hollow points with good success and they run about $15 per box at academy.

Fwiw I have multiple AR calibers and 300 blackout gets taken the most by far and I'm 100% so far on multiple pigs, coyotes and deer. Every one except my 190# 10 point has been DRT including pigs over 200#.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #8
doole44
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady & Mertzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Academy has plenty of 300 BO ammo.
Choices are limited but that's ok. I've found that the Barnes 110 is the perfect hunting round for the 300 BO.
Nate has been using the Remington 120 grain hollow points with good success and they run about $15 per box at academy.

Fwiw I have multiple AR calibers and 300 blackout gets taken the most by far and I'm 100% so far on multiple pigs, coyotes and deer. Every one except my 190# 10 point has been DRT including pigs over 200#.
X2...love mine..
doole44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
Coach W
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Dickens, Kent

Quote:
Thanks for that cuttingedge. The rifle will probably never be taken out for anything other than yotes and hogs. The ol 30-06 gets called out for deer and above.
Yotes and hogs.. perfect combo for the 300 blk.

As Mike mentioned I've been running the cheap umc green box and doing pretty well. On lighter game they don't devistate like a Varmit bullet would.. they tend to zip right through. On pigs they do more damage.. as pigs are more dense to allow the bullet to work. But they are half the price of Barnes 110... so I'm willing to compromise a bit because of my intended target and not wanting to spend a ton to kill em.

All that said I've yet to lose an animal. All the pigs have been DRT including this lil guy.

If i was only going out to shoot lighter game I'd choose a balistic tip like the varmageddon or the barnes.

This coyote made it 30 yards.. that's the furthest anything has made it on me at this point.

For an all around spring/summer gun that's a blast to carry and suppress.. which make it ideal for hunting with the Lil guy... I don't think it can be beat.

To be fair I don't own a 6.8spc or a 6.5 grendel.. at this point I don't think I will ever need to. Lol. I do own a few 5.56's and I wouldn't purposely go pig hunting with one considering I have better options.. will it get the job done? Definitely. Are there better options out there for pigs? Most certainly.

If i was only Varmit hunting I'm taking the 5.56.

But for your intended targets the 300 blk will suit you well.
Coach W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #10
texas bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: OK and Texas public land

I love my 300 bo. Great gun and the barnes 110 is a great hunting round.
texas bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #11
35remington
Pope & Young

So I guess the takeaway from this is: go check your local shelves.

The subsonic Remington 220s are fun for target shooting, but I wouldn't throw them at anything I really wanted to stop.

I picked up some 208gr Hornady Amax recently, but haven't had time to test it yet.

Good video on the 220: http://youtu.be/i1Q7xRmZAtk
Old 05-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #12
Kankles
Ten Point

Hunt In: out there by that tree off the road

the only downside for me is Coach W shoots it....
Kankles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #13
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Burnet Co.

I have been looking hard for a gel test of 208Amax loads. Seems like they MIGHT expand due to the tip, but idk. The only subsonic rounds I've seen so far that reliably expand are the Lehigh Defence, and at $2+ a round and the feeding issues they have, I'll pass. I'm thinking a 125gr vmax or SST should be pretty mean, but obviously supersonic. Can't wait for my Specwar 762 to get outta jail!
txfireguy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #14
DirtyDave
Ten Point

For your purpose, the 300AAC is a great choice.

I'm a little confused by your comment about "suppression capability" though
Anything can be suppressed.
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #15
Coach W
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
So I guess the takeaway from this is: go check your local shelves.

The subsonic Remington 220s are fun for target shooting, but I wouldn't throw them at anything I really wanted to stop.

I picked up some 208gr Hornady Amax recently, but haven't had time to test it yet.

Good video on the 220:
I've had less than desireable results from the subs. I've tried everything out there on the shelf except the Lehigh defense.. they all fail to work on pigs. You're gonna see some pigs die but more often than not they are gonna be grains heavier the next time you see em.

Do 300 blk subs work? Absolutely.

Do they work everytime? No.

Here's the results of a sub to the shoulder

Here is what he looked like after the 257 wby broke loose. Check out the hump. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
the only downside for me is Coach W shoots it....
You're gonna be hard pressed finding a caliber I don't shoot. Lol.

It's a 30 cal projectile from an AR. That's freaking awesone.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #16
bigdaddy590
Ten Point

So what is the comparison between 300BO and 223 in terms of suppression. Are both equally as quiet shooting subs? Obviously though the 300 would carry more energy when comparing subs to subs.

So maybe my better question is how much will I enjoy suppression in terms of hunting.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #17
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Just forget about subs for hunting. Subs are for Home Defense.
Shoot Supersonic 110-125gr with a suppressor for hunting.

Hunting Suppressed is enjoyable, but its not like in the movies. You are not going to be able to kill a whole sounder of hogs without them spooking. It doesnt work that way.
Hogs and Deer spook when you shoot a BOW. Shooting suppressed is not as quiet as a bow.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #18
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
So what is the comparison between 300BO and 223 in terms of suppression. Are both equally as quiet shooting subs? Obviously though the 300 would carry more energy when comparing subs to subs.

So maybe my better question is how much will I enjoy suppression in terms of hunting.

If you want to shoot subsonic .223, just get a slingshot. It'll be more effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
Just forget about subs for hunting. Subs are for Home Defense.

They don't work worth squat on hogs but are lethal on home invaders? That's your position?
Old 05-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #19
bigdaddy590
Ten Point

Well this has pretty much talked me out of 300bo and a suppressor.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #20
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Quote:
They don't work worth squat on hogs but are lethal on home invaders? That's your position?
People are easier to kill than hogs and it can save your ears and keep your wits about you. You ever shot indoors without ear plugs?

Quote:
Why? I think it fits your needs well. Unless you were thinking it would be quieter than it really is.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #21
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:

Have you ever shot one? You need to do that before you dive in. It will give you realistic expectations. It's effective and fun. It's not magic, but it's still pretty slick.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #22
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

I wasn't impressed with mine. Seemed like a puny 7.62x39. I think the .223 is the way to go in an AR.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #23
cmh2007
Ten Point

Biggest downfall. You can seat a loaded .300blk onto a .223 chamber and light it off.

Last edited by cmh2007; 05-03-2015 at 03:18 PM.
cmh2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 03:14 PM   #24
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

Here it is from my experience. I have owned both the 300blk and the 6.8. For what you are describing go with the 6.8. With the suppressor it will be hearing safe at the gun without ear pro. As was stated before the pigs will scatter. You just can't get around that. Now let me tell you the 300blk is more expensive to shoot, but is a blast to shoot for fun. No it's not as quiet as you hear on the movies but with my specwar it was pretty dang quiet. I have never shot a 6.5 so I can't help you with that. Right now I am building a 277 wolverine. It is like the blk but with a 270 bullet. Good luck in your choice.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #25
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh2007 View Post
You can seat a loaded .300blk onto a .223 chamber and light it off.

WHAT??? Are you telling him he can shoot a 30 cal bullet out of a 223 barrel???
Old 05-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #26
cmh2007
Ten Point

No I'm telling him that the 300blk will headspace off the bullet and light off with disastrous results. One of the reasons I shoot the 7.62 Wilson tactical. If you don't believe me drop a 300 into your 223 chamber the bullet ogive will headspace on the shoulder junction of the 223 chamber
Old 05-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #27
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh2007 View Post
No I'm telling him that the 300blk will headspace off the bullet and light off with disastrous results. One of the reasons I shoot the 7.62 Wilson tactical. If you don't believe me drop a 300 into your 223 chamber the bullet ogive will headspace on the shoulder junction of the 223 chamber
Gotcha. I was like huh? Yes uses the same casing and BCG. Only thing different is the barrel
Old 05-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #28
cmh2007
Ten Point

Actually the 300blk started life as the .221-300 fireball/whisper. They are almost identical. You can make the brass from both and from what I have read you can actually use both ammo interchangeably. The problem arises when you have somebody that doesn't pay attention.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:26 PM   #29
bigdaddy590
Ten Point

Quote:
Have you ever shot one? You need to do that before you dive in. It will give you realistic expectations. It's effective and fun. It's not magic, but it's still pretty slick.

I have not. No one I know has one. I'll shoot one before I go through the process of buying one though. Just seems like a lot of power loss for very little gain.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #30
hoythitman
Ten Point

Hunt In: NW Arkansas

The only downside for me with the 300 BO is that I like to shoot it too much. But I reload, never looked for it on the shelf but I have noticed it while hunting 22 ammo. I shot a fox with mine at 140 with just a red dot. Blew out the exit big time. I love the 110 Sierra Varmint round for everything from critter control to pigs. I haven't killed a deer with it so I wouldn't know but under 100 I'd say it would have no problem with a whitetail.
hoythitman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #31
Coach W
Banned!!!

Quote:
I have not. No one I know has one. I'll shoot one before I go through the process of buying one though. Just seems like a lot of power loss for very little gain.
The power loss is from subsonic 300 blk. Shoot supersonic 300 blk and don't look back. It's a 30 cal 110-125 grain projectile out of an AR.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #32
WTJim
Ten Point

Build both...I have a 6.5 Grendel I love! My 300bo upper from radical firearms is at UPS! Can't wait to shoot it...
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #33
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Just seems like a lot of power loss for very little gain.
Power loss compared to what? Has way more punch than a 223, which is what it was intended for
Old 05-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #34
bigdaddy590
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach W View Post
The power loss is from subsonic 300 blk. Shoot supersonic 300 blk and don't look back. It's a 30 cal 110-125 grain projectile out of an AR.

So what is the advantage of shooting supersonic ammo through a suppressor vs non suppressed?
Old 05-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #35
Coach W
Banned!!!

Quote:
So what is the advantage of shooting supersonic ammo through a suppressor vs non suppressed?
It's quieter. Depending on barrel length/suppressor it's even hearing safe.

I have a 8.5" 300 blk I run supersonic ammo through. No problem without hearing pro with a suppressor. Same barrel and ammo without a suppressor and it will ring your ears.

I have (2) 10.5" 5.56 barrels both hearing safe shooting supersonic ammo with a suppressor.

I also have a 16.5" 300 blk and a 16.5" 5.56. Running supersonic ammo through a suppressor with those is WAY quiet.

The shorter the barrel the louder the boom. But the suppressor... suppresses the noise very well regardless of length.

Check out silencer shops vid:

https://youtu.be/XWo0JGqWw7w
Old 05-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #36
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

I just got geared for for the 300BLK. Black Forge Upper.
Found lots of 300AAC ammo at Academy all over I-10 from Kerrville to Baytown. They have the Cheap Remington 120gr OTFB 14.99/bx and the DRT's 27.99/bx.
I bought a few hundred rounds of the 110gr Varmedgeddons from KNS Precision in Fredricksburg last week $21/bx. They have a good supply of 300blk in super and sub sonic weights. Pallets full of subsonic 22lr also.
Look here also for ammo.
Made in Texas. http://beckammunition.com/ammunition/300-blackout
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #37
DocHolliday
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

What hunting ranges are y'all shooting at?

Waiting on my Form 1...
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #38
Coach W
Banned!!!

I'm shooting supersonic ammo out past 100 on occasion yote hunting. But for the most part my hunting takes place at 100.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:45 AM   #39
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

I wish my hunters would have the kind of success y'all are having on hogs. I don't think we have recovered one yet shot w a 300BO.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #40
texas bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: OK and Texas public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I wish my hunters would have the kind of success y'all are having on hogs. I don't think we have recovered one yet shot w a 300BO.
I would blame that on ammo, shooter and shot placement. Mine blew a 2 inch exit hole in a hog's neck
texas bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #41
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

Are they shooting subs? Subs suck for hunting period unless you are taking head shots.

Every animal I've shot with mine has been DRT.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #42
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Burnet Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas bound View Post
I would blame that on ammo, shooter and shot placement. Mine blew a 2 inch exit hole in a hog's neck
I agree, it's GOT to be ammo related. If you shoot a hog with an FMJ out of a 300 win mag, you'll probably have the same results. These guys running Sierra match kings aren't getting expansion, because they aren't designed to expand. If they use the correct supersonic load, I don't see how it could be any less effective than 7.62x39, which it pretty much duplicates the ballistics of, except with better bullet options.
txfireguy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #43
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Yotes and hogs.. perfect combo for the 300 blk.

As Mike mentioned I've been running the cheap umc green box and doing pretty well. On lighter game they don't devistate like a Varmit bullet would.. they tend to zip right through. On pigs they do more damage.. as pigs are more dense to allow the bullet to work. But they are half the price of Barnes 110... so I'm willing to compromise a bit because of my intended target and not wanting to spend a ton to kill em.

All that said I've yet to lose an animal. All the pigs have been DRT including this lil guy.

If i was only going out to shoot lighter game I'd choose a balistic tip like the varmageddon or the barnes.

This coyote made it 30 yards.. that's the furthest anything has made it on me at this point.

For an all around spring/summer gun that's a blast to carry and suppress.. which make it ideal for hunting with the Lil guy... I don't think it can be beat.

To be fair I don't own a 6.8spc or a 6.5 grendel.. at this point I don't think I will ever need to. Lol. I do own a few 5.56's and I wouldn't purposely go pig hunting with one considering I have better options.. will it get the job done? Definitely. Are there better options out there for pigs? Most certainly.

If i was only Varmit hunting I'm taking the 5.56.

But for your intended targets the 300 blk will suit you well.
What kind of lower is that? Im about to start piecing together my first rifle and that thing looks bad A**
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #44
Coach W
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
What kind of lower is that? Im about to start piecing together my first rifle and that thing looks bad A**
The first one is the Hellbreaker.... I catch hell for it ALL the time. But I really like it.

The last lower is the Seekins SP223.

Both are about priced the same, the Seekins has cooler features but the Hellbreaker has the lil ****** off guy lol so either way. Look to spend 300 bones for the lower alone..
Old 05-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #45
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
The first one is the Hellbreaker.... I catch hell for it ALL the time. But I really like it.

The last lower is the Seekins SP223.

Both are about priced the same, the Seekins has cooler features but the Hellbreaker has the lil ****** off guy lol so either way. Look to spend 300 bones for the lower alone..
is that striped or complete lower for $300?
sorry for my ignorance. never did anything like this.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #46
Coach W
Banned!!!

Thats stripped... you can routinely buy regular lowers for under 100 bucks if budget is something you are trying to do on your build.

My builds were FAR from budget builds... I picked the pieces I wanted, found the best price on them and bought em. If I wanted to I could have bought the cheapest part i could find and saved a BUNCH of money.

I built both of these SBR's at the same time and it was ALOT more than most people are willing to spend on SBR's.. But I have the regular 59 dollar lowers.. I wanted to do something different.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #47
Coach W
Banned!!!

300 ish ^^^^^^

50 ish ^^^

You can spend what you wanna spend.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #48
bloodstick
Ten Point

Nice,
Pretty much all I'm looking to do is build a rifle within my budget ($1000 or less) that can accurately and regularly hit the kill zone at 100-125yards. Haven't really decided what caliber I want yet. I love the 6.8 and heard good things on the 300blk. Just haven't really decided. Hogs, yotes, and occasional deer will be the targets
Old 05-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #49
DocHolliday
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Quote:
I'm shooting supersonic ammo out past 100 on occasion yote hunting. But for the most part my hunting takes place at 100.
Cool, thanks!
I'll be happy with that from my SBR
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #50
Mike D
Pope & Young

My son whacked this big ole yote at about 125 yards with my 8" Noveske SBR.

DRT with 110 grain Barnes bullets.