Anyone make prickly pear jelly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone make prickly pear jelly?

I've made prickly pear juice before to mix with lemon aid or make margaritas out of but I have never attempted jelly. I know it is a lengthy process of boiling and mixing and more boiling. Just looking for any little tips to make the first time go a little smoother. Also a good place to buy the jars for cheap.

No jelly. I added some to a giardiniera I made this morning, will know how it worked out in 2 days

Comment

I was just looking at some fruit a moment ago and thinking about this. I've never made it. But would if I had enough resources .

Comment

Not since I was a kid helping my mom, love the stuff but never tried it as an adult.. wife don't cook and never has. As I remember it wasn't much different than making plum or mustang grape jelly.

Comment

I was driving in an area by my house earlier and there were thousands of ripe ones. The really dark red colored ones. I love the taste and I'm going to go pick a handful for juice tomorrow. I'm going to take a stab at the jelly soon. I use to do it with my parents all the time but it's been close to 20 years since the last time.

Comment

Yes! It is one of my favorite jellies to eat, but least favorite to make just because it's so much work getting the juice out of the fruit. Here's how I do it though in case you want to try. It turns out perfect every time using this recipe:

Using metal tongs or a skewer, toast the fruit over an open flame to burn the glochids off (those little hairs that stick in your hand). After burning, drop in cool water immediately.
            Drain water then slice into quarters, lengthwise. Peel off skin using your fingers, or a fillet knife. You can remove some of the seeds at this time if you want. Place the fruit in a saucepan and heat gently until fruit has softened enough to run through a food mill. After processing through the food mill, strain the juice and pulp to remove any small seeds. You can refrigerate or freeze this juice for later use.
            To make jelly, you will need the following ingredients:
            4 cups strained prickly pear tuna juice
            6 cups granulated sugar
            2 tablespoons lemon juice or ½ tspn.powdered citric acid
            (I use citric acid so the cactus flavor is pure)
            1 package powdered pectin
            Combine strained prickly pear juice and lemon juice (or citric acid) and pectin and cook over medium heat until solution is boiling. You can add ½ tspn. butter to help prevent foaming. Once boiling add sugar all at once and stir constantly. Continue to keep mixture at a rolling boil for two minutes, then remove pan from heat. If canning jelly, ladle into sterilized jars and water bath can for 16 minutes. Prickly pear jelly may take up to two weeks to gel inside the jars. If using for fresh jelly, cool jelly and store covered in the refrigerator for up to one month.

I find it easier to prepare the juice ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until I'm ready to make the jelly on another day. It's good stuff!
            Attached Files

Comment

I've sliced up the pads, sautéed them in garlic and butter. They are good, but slimey like okra.

We buy the jelly and love it.

Comment

Never tried it jelly that is, but willing to try.

Comment

Oh, and I forgot to add...you can buy the jars at WalMart.
                  -Cheryl

Comment

My wife and I did several years ago. That's some good stuff!

Comment

What is prickly pair tuna juice, just sounds horrible.

Comment

The fruit of the prickly pear cactus is called a tuna.

Comment

Picked about a 5 gallon bucket of pears for our preacher. I think he just ran it through a juicer. Had trouble finding enough of the ripe ones as many were still green.

Comment

Gotcha, Im picturing tuna fish juice out of the can.

Comment

I just tried some mesquite bean jelly last week & it was good.

MESQUITE BEAN JELLY
                              1 1/2 gal. mesquite beans
                              1 c. or 18 oz. bottle lemon juice
                              4 qts. water
                              1 box sure jello
                              7 c. sugar
                              Choose ripe mesquite beans with a red tinge, but without insect holes. Pick beans only from tree; do not use beans on the ground. Wash and break into pieces; cover with water and soak overnight. Pour off water. Cook beans for one hour in 4 quarts water. Drain and save juice. Place 5 cups of juice in a pan; add lemon juice and boil 5 minutes. Continue boiling and stirring constantly while adding 1 box sure jell and sugar. Cook 5 minutes longer. Strain through cheese cloth and pour into jelly jars and seal. This makes an amber colored jelly.
                              Last edited by Das71198; 08-09-2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X