No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I need to spray just 1 good coat all over it?

Comment

Originally posted by okiewhitetails View Post
      So I need to spray just 1 good coat all over it?
      yes just put it out and spray it down is all i do. I mix mine with water and put it in a big spray bottle to make it last longer. They love it, I did a test with vanilla corn, molassas corn, and also plain corn, they tore the vanilla up and didn't touch the molassas for days then just barely.

Comment

Ok thanks ender! I'll post a few pics when I check the cams after I put it out

Comment

What is a SMZ?
          I guess I'm the only dummy.
          Stream Management Zone.
          Last edited by BigThicketBoy; 10-12-2015, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
            What is a SMZ?
            Streamside Management Zones

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
              What is a SMZ?
              I guess I'm the only dummy.
              Stream Management Zone.
              not the only one i didn't know either

Comment

I always call the erosion controls

Comment

ya I had to subscribe....just wasted 30 minutes of work glued to the stories, still have plenty of pages to read...

Comment

^^^^Best part about showing up late, you don't have to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      Virtually all are ground blinds. They are all set up on a fringe with some feature keeping deer from getting behind me on a set wind direction. I was building my own tent blinds before they became readily available.
                      When locating these sanctuaries do you tend to see a lot of boundary rubs(big cedars and pines)around the sanctuary???

I have located what I think is great sanctuary in DCNF, just trying to go in at the right times

Comment

Bump for a. New guy

Comment

love hearing those stories, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by the big one View Post
                            best thread ever !!
                            x10

Comment

This year, I have several whopper on camera. Most are deer I know and watched mature in my santuaries. One particular buck is a ten with one little g5 on his right side and either 5 or 6 years old. Usually, the bucks dont get predictable in the santuaries untill they are pressured but this deer was on camera in good shooting light for 14 consecutive evenings leading up to bow season. I showed him to Dad and he agreed we should hunt him.

Now this spot requires a South wind and we just didnt get that for the first 4 days of season so I took my nephews to North wind stands and they shot 3 big does with a crossbow. Finally, on Wed, the wind started changing and we got in about 330pm. By 5pm we had 2 does in the vanilla corn at 19yds. Next a spike, followed by two 3yr old 8pts. A few minutes later they all spooked a little and in walked a high horned 8pt that took over. This is where trail cams come into play because had I not KNOWN this deer was a 3year old, I would have immediately given the go ahead as he looked 6!

About 615 a doe walked in on the far edge and looked back. Right behind her was the deer we were hunting. She headed for the corn while he worked a scrape and peed on his tarsal. The big 8 in the corn saw them coming and went to meet them half way and out of bow range. Man did they tie up. Not a sparring match! They were trying to kill each other. The 8 finally broke and the ten chased him back the way they came before turning around and heading toward he doe who was now 20 yds away chomping corn.

The 8pt made a circle and decided to try again. He charged in with his horns down and an unreal fight ensued for 10 minutes. The commotion had everything stirred up. The two smaller 8s tied up to my right and several more bucks showed up. When the ten won this time, another mature ten challenged him and a deer I dont know challenged the big 8. We had three buck fights going at once!!! This continued untill it was getting past shooting light and we sneaked out unseen.

I just couldnt wait for Thursday evening. I went out and corned about 10am with a heavy vanilla spray. About 530, 6 does started in and made a big circle to our right. I was afraid they would smell us but as soon as they smelled the vanilla corn, they abandoned caution an trotted to it, passing our ground blind at 4yds. Shortly, younger bucks rolled in and a decent 8pt. I looked where the ten had come out the day before and saw a small buck coming about 6pm. Another deer was behind him and coming in but there was a bush between us. Finally i got a look an it was him. The ten walked straight to the hand corn , chased the other deer out, then stood facing us in the corn and peed on his tarsals just like in a scrape.

Dad was on him and when the deer turned he let fly. I saw the bolt hit about a third of the way up right behind his shoulder with the deer quartering slightly to us and when he wheeled, it was hanging out about his last rib on the exit side. I could see him for about 100ys as he ran away. We sat back and immediately were covered in deer again. Another mature 8pt came in and we watched him and two other bucks for the next hour. I finally squealed like a pig and ran them off so we could get out and wait on Jooger to help track.

2.5 hours after the shot we picked up the trail which showed an abundance of paunch contents on the exit side. I knew he had to have gotten a lung on the entry side so we decided to trail until we found him or a bed which ever came first. We trailed about 250yds and made a loose. I decided it would be best to call Brent Boswell and see if he could bring his dog, plus that would give the deer time in case he was still alive.

Brent and his wife showed up about 11pm and his dog was on it at a run. He took the track about 150yd further and things just went weird. It became obvious that the deer had doubled back on his own trail and we couldnt separate it. Bent wife did n amazing job of hand and knees trailing to sort out a hair pin trail that just ended n top of its self. At 2am, we called it for the night. The next morning, I went back an fund another spot of blood and guts 50 yds east. I spent all morning gridding that direction with nothing more.

That evening i saw the buzzard tarting to group up and was confident I would find him the next day. I did. He was 60yds to the WEST of where we looked and directly down wind of the dog. It happens I guess but we sure worked hard on this one. Special thank to BBoswell an his sweet wife along with Jooger17 for their help.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by GarGuy; 10-14-2015, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Great write up.
                                Awesome deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X