The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
    Thank You A3D. Do you have some system for getting where other hunters don't go? Like in a Wilderness area not as deep as the outfitters but deeper than the day traffic for example?
    I wish!
    There have been areas where I figured nobody would be, then get there and see 3 guys with the same idea.
    Then other places easy to get to but nobody hunting there, and loaded with elk.
    Had one place that was a honey hole, then Co parks and wildlife changed the location of the main trailhead to within 1/4 mile of that location. Not a fresh track or elk to be found when I showed up the next year, and thirty cars parked at the "new" trailhead, picnic tables, bathrooms, whole nine yards.

Outfitters have their own habits, most of the time they hunt the same areas every year. Just observe where that is and either drop back or go farther. Most of the day hunters stay within 1-2 miles of where they parked.
    Some great places can be found when there is a long canyon 4-8 miles in with a road and at the end of the road there is a trailhead with access farther into the backcountry, usually you can stop halfway in and go up and over the top and have the area to yourself in the next canyon away from the road.

Comment

Man I have had fun this year researching all the different states.. Ive put in for alot of Preference points.. And a few draws.. And I still have more to go.. Wont be elk hunting this next season because of babies on the way.. But that will just make it all the sweeter when i do get to go, because i waited on it..

Comment

What can be said for Tenzing backpack/frames? Are they worth a shot or should I spend money else where.

Comment

Tenzings are better than badlands in my opinon.. But a pack is all dependent on how you are going to hunt.. If your taking you camp on your back and packing in.. Then i would go for a stone glacier or Kifaru.. But just for day packs.. Tenzing will work great

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
            Tenzings are better than badlands in my opinon.. But a pack is all dependent on how you are going to hunt.. If your taking you camp on your back and packing in.. Then i would go for a stone glacier or Kifaru.. But just for day packs.. Tenzing will work great
            JT I use to work in Aledo before I moved. I still come up there to trim horse for some clients. Would love to meet up with u sometime and ask some more questions.

Comment

All right guys, many of you may know that I am a DIY hunter. I like doing the scouting and getting my boots on the ground I hunt, but I've also lived in other states where I didn't have the time to get to my elk hunting grounds and scout like I can now.
              With that in mind there was a post on another site that I thought would be helpful to many of you who are DIY hunters and only get one trip to Colorado to get your elk each year.
              This article will introduce you to startmyhunt.com

After discussion with the owner Mike, and reviewing a map he sent me I was shocked.
              I have taken a look at a map of the area I hunted last year and this map was almost dead on. I was surprised at how it identifies different areas of primary or secondary feeding areas, as well as prime areas on the mountain. It will identify security areas where the elk will be comfortable bedding as well.

Nothing will guarantee where the elk are, but if you are heading to an area for the first time or looking for info on where to go, you might give this a shot.

Comment

Good find a3d! I looked at the research section and it is a good centralized location for stuff that takes some time to find on the CO website.

Comment

A3d, do you know if they do the same for mule deer?

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                    A3d, do you know if they do the same for mule deer?
                    No, don't think they do...but why should they? There's a 180" buck in every canyon in Colorado.....

Comment

Haha, touché.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                        All right guys, many of you may know that I am a DIY hunter. I like doing the scouting and getting my boots on the ground I hunt, but I've also lived in other states where I didn't have the time to get to my elk hunting grounds and scout like I can now.
                        With that in mind there was a post on another site that I thought would be helpful to many of you who are DIY hunters and only get one trip to Colorado to get your elk each year.
                        This article will introduce you to startmyhunt.com

After discussion with the owner Mike, and reviewing a map he sent me I was shocked.
                        I have taken a look at a map of the area I hunted last year and this map was almost dead on. I was surprised at how it identifies different areas of primary or secondary feeding areas, as well as prime areas on the mountain. It will identify security areas where the elk will be comfortable bedding as well.

Nothing will guarantee where the elk are, but if you are heading to an area for the first time or looking for info on where to go, you might give this a shot.
                        Good info...thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                          Good info...thanks!
                          You're welcome.

Who has been working out already for elk season?

I got back to the gym as soon as I was able after last seasons ankle injury, but today was first good climb in the mountains. Hit the Manitou Incline, 2,000 foot elevation gain in 3/4 mile. Last two photos are from the top.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I hate that I can't do something like that on a regular basis. Clocked 10 miles running this week, it's not much, but it's a start.

Comment

Very interesting changes are possibly on the horizon for Arizona. The notes from their latest meeting include the following.

R12-4-114. Issuance of Nonpermit-tags and Hunt Permit-tags
                              Allow only 50% of the hunt permit-tags available to nonresidents to be issued in the
                              bonus pass of the draw. These changes are in response to customer comments received by the Department

For you guys that apply or get points in AZ this is potentially great news. You will actually have a chance at the ultra premium units like 1,3,8,9,10 and 23. It still has to pass but I think AZ realizes it needs to shake things up. Most people don't know that there is basically 0% chance a NR archery Elk tag will make it out of the Bonus Pass for those Top end units.

I think this is good thing especially since I will only be sitting on 6 points next year.

Comment

Just put in for NM Elk...hope to get drawn again this year and hopefully tag out this time. Wish I had some outdoor climbing like a3dhunter has. I guess I'll have to stick with my powerlifting and that #$%@!*% jacob's ladder!

Comment

Working...
                                X