Crossbow or Muzzleloader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossbow or Muzzleloader?

Had a hankering for something new. Ammo issues (and discovering the prices of Ruger No 1s!) had me considering a muzzleloader or perhaps a crossbow. I do shoot a compound and have centerfire rifles so I guess it’s just a case of looking for a new toy! Interested in anyone’s thoughts between the two?

Happy New Year everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AfricaninTexas; 12-31-2020, 09:49 PM.

Go with the muzzleloader, it will open up another two weeks of deer season for you. Also you can go traditional for extra challenge or go the modern in-line route for near modern performance. That being said there's something about shooting a patched round ball out of a slow twist rifle that is just too cool!

Comment

Ive hunted with almost everything . Compound, crossbow, rifle, shotgun, and black powder. They are all fun especially crossbows. Stalking hogs in the woods with one is amazing fun.

Comment

I would lean crossbow because it gives you a chance to hunt during bow season.
        There are some nice crossbows available today.
        The nice ones are more expensive...

Comment

muzzleloader. It can hit accurately at longer range than a crossbow. You already shoot compound so bow season is already open to you. Having a muzzleloader will open up another two weeks of season.

Comment

a kit muzzleloader is also cheaper than a 400 fps crossbow

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
              a kit muzzleloader is also cheaper than a 400 fps crossbow

Yes this is true - I was surprised at the cost of a half decent crossbow and the high end options are over $2000! That’s a lot of rifle!

Comment

I would go crossbow for ease of loading (crazy that a crossbow is easier to load than anything else, right), and cause you don't have to clean after every time you shoot it. Also a crossbow is cheaper for target shooting.

Muzzleloader is cool too though

Comment

Covid messed this up for this year but should be good to go by next season

Traditions® Firearms has changed muzzleloading forever. In collaboration with Federal Premium® and Hodgdon® Powder, the NitroFire® and Firestick™ make muzzleloading safer, more reliable, and more consistent. The NitroFire® is the first and best muzzleloader on the market that uses this revolutionary system!  

Comment

Originally posted by AfricaninTexas View Post
                    Yes this is true - I was surprised at the cost of a half decent crossbow and the high end options are over $2000! That’s a lot of rifle!

You can get a fine "utilitarian" 350fps bow, soft case, with arrows and broadheads for $400.00....or less (and it'll be a LOT better than "half decent"). A very, very good 400fps bow with the works for less than $1k. Both will get the job doneand done well. Now, you CAN spend $4k, but, it's TOTALLY unnecessary if your goal is to hunt effectively.

As for me it's a jump ball, but, forced to choose I'd go crossbow.

Comment

I hunted with a muzzleloader this year for the first time and really enjoyed it. Killed one 8pt and two nice does with it too.

I bought a CVA Wolf directly off their website. At the time they had a deal for the rifle, a scope (not the greatest) and a soft case for $250. Throw in the 20% Veterans discount that CVA gives us and I feel like I hat a great entry level muzzleloader for $200!

Comment

Crossbow
                        You don't have to worry about finding powder and lead

Comment

The answer is obvious - BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                            The answer is obvious - BOTH!

Yes!

Comment