Got him! Big ol’ palmated antler buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got him! Big ol’ palmated antler buck

Been dreaming about connecting with this buck since it first got pictures of him the summer.

I’ve been holding off hunting this stand in hope for some better weather conditions, as I wasn’t exactly sure where this deer would normally bed.

3 weeks ago, I finally hunted the stand when a small front was blowing in, didn’t see him that day, but he showed up that afternoon ( I was headed home) and I got my cell cam pics, and was finally able to get a general area in which he was bedding.

Fast forward to this weekend. The big cold front was headed toward us, expected to start blowing in Sunday afternoon. I got to the lease Saturday around lunchtime. Unloaded and got ready to head out. It was a really windy afternoon so I decided to press my luck on him.

Got to the stand about 2:15, and wouldn’t you know it, another nice buck was walking in at the same exact time. He didn’t notice me right away, but I was stuck behind a big cedar tree 40 yards from the deer and about 25 yards from my stand. Had to wait him out... he ended up noticing my move to behind the tree and started to come towards me. Got within 15 yards of me, so I grunted at him... he came closer, within about 7 yards, but I still had a tree between us. I blew at him and grunted again and he finally took off... he was not the deer I was after so I gambled on blowing him out of there.

10 minutes after finally getting in the stand that same buck was back and eating my hand corn. The next few hours were pretty calm, did have another small 8 come and check things out.

5 pm, the feeder throws. The first buck came in and bedded down 60 yards away. Then a doe came in, and another 8. All eventually walked off without coming to the feeder.

10 minutes later, 3 buck come running in, the target buck, a big 9 and small dink buck. The 9 and the sink immediately began to feed, but the big palmated buck took off. I know the palmated buck and the 9 always run together so I waited. He eventually came back and stood watching the other bucks feed for nearly 15 minutes. I guess after awhile he felt comfortable and began to make a big circle around the feeder. Coming toward me on my left. He got to the hand corn and started to feed. As he got directly in front of me at 15 yards, I drew back and let the arrow fly. It hit its mark.

Found my arrow and it looked great.

Took up the trail and found him 25 yards away.

I was at the lease by myself and had to figure out how to get this guy back to camp. I couldn’t get him loaded up by myself so I just put him in the back seat, lol.

He was broken up pretty good, but man, he is still a cool dear, and tons of mass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a freak! That is crazy cool! Congrats! Great shot in the old pump station!

Comment

Great shot and trophy!

Comment

Awesome buck!!!

Comment

Dang, what a cool buck!

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

What a great buck, congrats

Comment

Very nice lots of character there

Comment

Awesome buck! Glad you were able to connect!

Comment

Congratulations!!! Great character buck.
                    Adios,
                    Gary

Comment

Huge congrats! That's an awesome buck!

Comment

awesome buck and a great shot

Comment

I love a heart pic with a broadhead slice through it! Great shot on a cool buck. That 9 was nice too!

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                            I love a heart pic with a broadhead slice through it! Great shot on a cool buck. That 9 was nice too!
                            Yes sir!

That 9 looks great in person. I'm going to try and get my wife on him this year.

Comment

Good lookin deer

Comment

Working...
                              X