No announcement yet.

Crossbow or Muzzleloader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as guns go, I hunted deer with nothing but a modern muzzleloader for about a decade.

While I don't hunt with the Muzzleloader a lot anymore, I do know my drop at 200 yards is about 6 inches. That isn't that much drop. Aim for the loins and that bullet drops right about where you want it. The only real trick is getting steady from a tree stand. Once you find the load your guns likes and become consistent with loading it, yes it's a lot like a centerfire rifle. I weigh my powder charges and my ML is as accurate as most any of my centerfires. I've taken several deer at 150-200 yards and a couple just a bit over 200 with no drama.

To say that a crossbow is easier than an ML is funny and I would think anybody who says that doesn't hunt with a crossbow.

I love them, but they still have most of the same limitations that a compound bow has - except a betting sighting system and of course already cocked. But once the arrow leaves, it really no different than if it came from a compound bow.

Either way, life is short - get both! If you decide one or the other isn't for you, sell it.

Comment

APPARENTLY you haven't shot the latest generation of muzzleloaders....200yards and in is virtually the same as a centerfire. Supposedly up to 300 with some of them, but, I wouldn't attempt anywhere near that long of a shot at an animal....a bit unethical IMOP.

"Come on. While those guns with a 150gr powder charge are capable of making a 200yd shot. I know of no one who has done it."

I have....at a target......and they will pattern very close to a centerfire. I did and saw it with my own eyes.

"You say they are like a centerfire"

To be specific, i said the LATEST/modern versions of muzzleloaders (NOT a traditional flint lock) are almost like using a centerfire to distances up to and past 200 yards. It"s true and that's why so many are buying em for the longer effective range when hunting.

It's the exact same thing with crossbows.....400fps, 420fps, 450fps, and they're now going for 500fps. One of my crossbows is 400fps and it WILL shoot a 4" or less group at 100 yards (in good conditions). However, I wouldn't take a shot longer than 40 to 50 yards....again, a bit risky and unethical.

"They do have similarities to a centerfire with the accuracy aspect. But again, misfires, snow and rain, the process to load, one shot and limited range."

Once loaded, if you keep the hammer/cap dry, exactly how are they so much more vulnerable to weather? I'm GENUINELY curious...

I keep both my centerfire and muzzleloader barrel DOWN when hunting exposed in poor weather (I'm SURE you do a well). A barrel full of h20 is a bad idea with either one....as you well know.

I plan on ONE shot no matter the implement in my hands. Reloading a bolt action centerfire and getting a 2nd shot is MUCH more doable than even a crossbow.....pretty much impossible with a muzzleloader....as I'm SURE you already know. Ease of reloading under duress has never been on my priority list when choosing any hunting implement.

"Children are whole different issue. They need adults with them."

Agreed....100% I was right beside my son the entire time. However, he could EASILY load it in preparation for firing. It's not a complicated process at all and that's why I used him as an example.

Look he asked for opinions. You don't like mine...Fine.
      Part of what makes America great.

Agree.....100%
      Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-01-2021, 11:18 AM.

Comment

You still have to range targets and compensate with a crossbow. That takes skill. 5 yards of misjudgment with a crossbow and you can easily miss your target if you aim for the crease.
        A muzzle loader you are good out to 200 yds a crossbow.... no freaking way. I will hunt with either so no skin in the game. Apples to oranges.

I have killed amazing animals with my daughters PSE Fang. 299.99

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
          APPARENTLY you haven't shot the latest generation of muzzleloaders....200yards and in is virtually the same as a centerfire. Supposedly up to 300 with some of them, but, I wouldn't attempt anywhere near that long of a shot at an animal....a bit unethical IMOP.

"Come on. While those guns with a 150gr powder charge are capable of making a 200yd shot. I know of no one who has done it."

I have....at a target......and they will pattern very close to a centerfire. I did and saw it with my own eyes.

"You say they are like a centerfire"

To be specific, i said the LATEST/modern versions of muzzleloaders (NOT a traditional flint lock) are almost like using a centerfire to distances up to and past 200 yards. It"s true and that's why so many are buying em for the longer effective range when hunting.

It's the exact same thing with crossbows.....400fps, 420fps, 450fps, and they're now going for 500fps. One of my crossbows is 400fps and it WILL shoot a 4" or less group at 100 yards (in good conditions). However, I wouldn't take a shot longer than 40 to 50 yards....again, a bit risky and unethical.

"They do have similarities to a centerfire with the accuracy aspect. But again, misfires, snow and rain, the process to load, one shot and limited range."

Once loaded, if you keep the hammer/cap dry, exactly how are they so much more vulnerable to weather? I'm GENUINELY curious...

I keep both my centerfire and muzzleloader barrel DOWN when hunting exposed in poor weather (I'm SURE you do a well). A barrel full of h20 is a bad idea with either one....as you well know.

I plan on ONE shot no matter the implement in my hands. Reloading a bolt action centerfire and getting a 2nd shot is MUCH more doable than even a crossbow.....pretty much impossible with a muzzleloader....as I'm SURE you already know. Ease of reloading under duress has never been on my priority list when choosing any hunting implement.

"Children are whole different issue. They need adults with them."

Agreed....100% I was right beside my son the entire time. However, he could EASILY load it in preparation for firing. It's not a complicated process at all and that's why I used him as an example.

Look he asked for opinions. You don't like mine...Fine.
          Part of what makes America great.

Agree.....100%

Cool. Nice to meet someone who has made a 200yd ML shot. Hats off. Excellent marksmanship.
          I have hunted many NY winters in snow and rain(we have a camp there) and I have to say about 2x I have had misfires with the smoke pole and that is with tape over the barrel always. I think once was a user error by not discharging it after the days hunt. Bringing it in the house, condensation I think built up from cold to hot in the barrel and corrupted the powder charge. That I believe caused the misfire on one occasion. Another time. I had a dud primer.
          Stuff like that does not happen with a xbow.
          Thats all I have to say about that. Thanks for being civil. Happy New year.

Comment

That escalated quickly.....

I'd get a muzzle loader.

Comment

And getting an animal inside crossbow range takes more skill than 200yd or even 100 yd rifle shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                That escalated quickly.....

I'd get a muzzle loader.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                  And getting an animal inside crossbow range takes more skill than 200yd or even 100 yd rifle shooting.
                  /\/\/\yep/\/\/\.....quite a bit more IMOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                    Cool. Nice to meet someone who has made a 200yd ML shot. Hats off. Excellent marksmanship.
                    I have hunted many NY winters in snow and rain(we have a camp there) and I have to say about 2x I have had misfires with the smoke pole and that is with tape over the barrel always. I think once was a user error by not discharging it after the days hunt. Bringing it in the house, condensation I think built up from cold to hot in the barrel and corrupted the powder charge. That I believe caused the misfire on one occasion. Another time. I had a dud primer.
                    Stuff like that does not happen with a xbow.
                    Thats all I have to say about that. Thanks for being civil. Happy New year.
                    Very good explanation and I appreciate it....truly. Now I TOTALLY get where you're coming from. I have a teaching facility on 300+ acres in Warwick, so I get the NY deal 100%. I've got video of several black bears, a lot of deer and turkey....all taken while teaching....hehehe.

Civility should be the rule, but, it seems to be a lost art nowadays....with most anyway.

I appreciate your response and a VERY Happy New Year to you as well!

Comment

Strings break, limbs break, there is not enough time to use range finder...
                      There are excuses for anything you do, but there is no doubt a muzzleloader is easier to kill game compared to a crossbow.

Comment

The interesting thing is this, you can purchase excellent functioning versions of both for less than $800. I have 2 muzzleloaders and both were less than $250.00 each. One of my crossbows, cp370 sniper, can be bought for +/- $250, sometimes less than $200. It's a great lil crossbow, but, the trigger takes a bit of adjusting to in the beginning (almost like a 2 stage set trigger). For another $100 Rich on CBN can rework into nearly a rifle trigger. It's a great hunting crossbow to 40 or 50 yards. There are MANY other brands that are very similar in both cost and functionality.

Comment

All good points..The cost for either is about the same but while I can buy a functional crossbow and gear for around $400 I am a little hesitant on quality and durability- you get what you pay for. Ammo shortages was one of the attractions initially to both options but it appears that the shortages extend to black powder supplies too! I’m sure that I will end up with both before next archery season comes round..just need to find the right items in stock! First world problems!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

"You get what you pay for"

NOT necessarily true when it comes to crossbows....LOTS more problems with 400fps + high end crossbows than my lil sniper (or any number of others). There's an arms race for speed nowadays as they sell for big dollars, with the latest pushing $4k. There's quite a few issues with snapped limbs (especially in the 1st versions), etc etc. If you don't believe me go to CBN or Archery Talk Crossbow Forum and read for yourself.

I bought a cp400 a little while back. I'll have a lil less than $1k in it when all is said and done. It's a great shooting bow, so far anyway. It's an honest 400fps bow and is very, very accurate to 100 yards, again, so far. I like it because it has a rifle feel to it (Ravin "engine") as it's only 6" wide cocked, AR style stock, etc.

However, realistically, at 30 yards in a hunting situation, it's no better than my Sniper or 10 year old recurve crossbow.
                            Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-01-2021, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Crossbow or Muzzleloader?

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
                              "You get what you pay for"

NOT necessarily true when it comes to crossbows....LOTS more problems with 400fps + high end crossbows than my lil sniper (or any number of others). There's an arms race for speed nowadays as they sell for big dollars, with the latest pushing $4k. There's quite a few issues with snapped limbs (especially in the 1st versions), etc etc. If you don't believe me go to CBN or Archery Talk Crossbow Forum and read for yourself.

I bought a cp400 a little while back. I'll have a lil less than $1k in it when all is said and done. It's a great shooting bow, so far anyway. It's an honest 400fps bow is very, very accurate, again, so far. However, realistically, at 30 yards, it's no better than my Sniper or 10 year old recurve crossbow.

Not doubting anything..and it makes sense that the higher speed options have more reliability issues. I’m a fan of heavy slow moving cartridges so speed isn’t a draw card - noise always seemed like a bigger issue but again perhaps I’m overthinking this at hunting ranges? I was looking at the center point 370 elite whisper - appears to be the same as the standard 370 with some additional noise/ vibration reducing options?

Last edited by AfricaninTexas; 01-01-2021, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AfricaninTexas View Post
                                Not questioning anything..and it makes sense that the higher speed options have more reliability issues. I’m a fan of heavy slow moving cartridges so speed isn’t a draw card - noise always seemed like a bigger issue but again perhaps I’m overthinking this at hunting ranges? I was looking at the center point 370 elite whisper - appears to be the same as the standard 370 with some additional noise/ vibration reducing options?

That's a later version of the same bow..... I THINK...hehehe There are several versions of the original 370 Sniper, but, I'm no expert. I'd go to CBN and do a lot of reading (That's what I did, and still do). You could contact Rich/"Tx_RDX" and pick his brain. He's a true crossbow expert, amongst several others who post on there. I'll guarantee you'll figure out THE bow for you and your wallet. There's a LOT of knowledge on that site, plus the manufactures post on occasion.

Btw, look at the cp400.....you'll have to let Rich rework the trigger to get it to it's potential. But man, for the money it's a fine, fine bow IMOP..... "Poor man's Ravin R10"....but functionally it's just as good.....fast and very accurate. Plus you'll save a lot of money (vs Ravin/10 PT etc) that you can use for arrows, broadheads, a hard case, higher end scope (although the stock scope is good), etc
                                Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-01-2021, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X