• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pilar View Post
    30 yards, then hand corn to close
    This

Comment

Feeder at 20, then hand corn two spots, at about 16 yards.

Comment

20 yards

Comment

30 yards but I hand corn the blind side of the the feeder with extra corn so shots usually 20 to 30 yards.

Comment

25 yards seems to be about right for me at archery set up. 200 yards minimum for rifle set ups.

Comment

25 is what my current setup is for compound bow. i hand corn at about 15 in front of feeder if i am toting the recurve

Comment

15ish

Comment

80-100 yards but I hand corn 20 yards from the stand. Usually have more deer on hand corn than on feeder.

Comment

I don’t hunt over our feeders with my bow if I don’t have to. Too many objects in a shooting lane as well as that many eyes, ears, and noses that close. I’ll throw hand corn 15-25 yards to get deer to stop along a trail and this has worked really well. My success went up tremendously when I got away from the feeders but that could just be specific to our place who knows.

Comment

In Burnet and Hays County all my feeders are 20 yards are under. I won't shoot over 20, period. Prefer 15 yards. Dang things are like cats and you better aim at their knees if over 20 yards.

When I think of the five P&Y south Tx deer I have killed, all were on hand corn a good ways from the feeder. Best year I ever had down there, blind was a good 100 yards from feeder, across a field. We kept it hand corned as often as possible. Sunday afternoon upon leaving the lease, whoever was there would throw out a bucket or two of corn. Saw WAY more deer that year on hand corn than at feeder. I bet half the bucks I saw never even went to the feeder.

Comment

38 yds

Comment

You don’t get tired of staring at a feeder?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            I know I do! Some good stuff in this thread. I may re-think one of my setups.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by rtarcher View Post
                              I know I do! Some good stuff in this thread. I may re-think one of my setups.

Todd
                              In the last 12-15 years I have had a lot of enjoyment walking around with a back pack of 10-15 lbs of corn and a folding chair.
                              I am in the hill country with a high deer population but I can find a spot, toss out corn and make a hole in some brush to sit in and have deer inside 20 yards in 1 day. In east Tx, maybe 2 days

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post

No sir ....with some effort you can make it what you want and take any perceived boredom out for the "ants in the pants" type folks.. One of my pens has two long senderos to look down and my pen there is 35 yards by 60 yards wide. Ive kept the senderos trimmed and open through the years with loppers/chainsaw and now an E-pole saw. I also have a large rut field, a flat behind the pen and a road to look down at my second set. That rut field gets trimmed this off season. Oh yes...both have corn, timed protein feeders, oak trees (acorn overachievers), mesquite beans, cactus tunas and water stations at them.... Its a smorgasbord of different looks, foods and activity. And that's not all. My long time lease buddy has two sets as well and we hunt them as 4. Sure we all like a little change but being 5 hours away we try to keep the everyday sits interesting and productive....

Comment

Working...
                                X