New laptop suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New laptop suggestions

Good morning green screen, looking for some braintrust info. I am in the market for a new laptop. I have a 15 year old desk top that is about to give up the ghost and want to transition into a laptop. I will be utilizing this for home use mostly and am not a "gamer" or a macbook user. A decent amount of storage would be nice and maybe a few other bells and whistles but I don't need a lot... If my description of what I am looking for is vague i apologize but as I am now where near an electronics guru, I am open to any and all suggestions... Thank you in advance for your help...

Got to watch this one as I’m on the same hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

good thread. wondering about the same thing. Wife going back to college for masters. Wondering what laptops kids are using these days.

Comment

We bought our son a HP Spectra 360 this past fall for his freshman year at A&M and it was rated well and listed as a good Business Major option. I liked it so much that I bought another for me and it is a great unit and not too bad on the pocket book. I believe the model we purchased was normal $1500 and we got on sale for $1250 or so. There is another model that is about $2k, don't remember the difference. Good luck!

Comment

I have 4 laptops ready to sell if any of you are interested.

Comment

I just got a dell 3510 btx. Run it through the docking station to monitors at the office and can take it with me if needed. I am also not a computer guru but it does everything I need.
            Last edited by CEO; 12-29-2020, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Stay away from Lenovo and buy Dell and or HP

Cheaper models = lots of plastic in the case build, less RAM and less processing Horsepower and typically old school SATA Hard drives (spinning disks)

Costlier models = more metals in the case build, more RAM, more power CPU processor and SSD Hard drive (Solid State Drive - no spinning disks)

USE THIS AS YOUR BASIC MODEL - SHOP THESE NUMBERS
              Processor Intel 5 or higher
              8GB RAM minimum or higher
              256GB SSD hard drive (solid state drive) minimum or higher
              WIFI connectivity

Comment

Im on my second HP right now no complaints at all. The new one has touch screen, nice option at times. The older one is still running, a little slow at times but use it for the engraver and it works fine.

Comment

Many thx for the info. As always I can count on the green screen for help... Any other thoughts or ideas?

Comment

We run 4 Dell $700.00 lap tops. They are super.

Get ESET anti everything protection...............

Comment

go to Dell website and you can build what you want n they ship pretty fast

Comment

I buy tons of laptops for work. Agree with what AtTheWall says, with a couple additions. I don't worry too much about case materials, since the risk of damage is minimal and the cost difference can be significant. The i5 processor is probably the minimum, if you can get a close price with an i7, I would recommend going that route. You will be happy with either, but happy longer with the i7. If you get it with 8M RAM, make sure you can upgrade it (know how many slots your device has and how many slots make up the RAM being used). It is very easy to buy more on-line and install when/if you want (as long as you have the slots to use). Hard drive is where you will have your hardest decision. I use a set of external hard drives and cloud storage for file storage and back-up, so I don't need a lot of on-board space. If you keep your files on your laptop, with pictures, music, games etc - you can fill 256 pretty quick.

From my experience Dell has been offering the best product/prices lately.

Chromebooks are also a low cost way to get in, if you do primarily web surfing/email . . .

NOTE - I do not work for or get paid by Dell . . .
                        Last edited by TxHamJello; 12-29-2020, 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

Comment

Once you find what you’re looking for be sure to check out Best Buy’s website and look for open box items. Especially now after Christmas there are tons of laptops returned that are discounted pretty decently and in like new condition. I just purchased one yesterday which was 20% off retail just due to it being a return and they will warranty anything that has been geek squad certified. I’ve saved tons doing this with all my electronics.

Comment

OP what is your budget and what do you do on the desktop?

Also, there are laptops that are considered desktop replacements (BIG laptops with bigger screen; need a backpack to go anywhere)

Comment

I too buy a lot of laptops for work. We are a Dell shop, and I rarely have to have warranty work done on them. I buy Latitudes (business class). I get i7 processors and a minimum of 16GB Ram and 512GB hard drive. I learned a long time ago, you get what you pay for with laptops. You can go get a cheapo from Best Buy, but be prepared to buy again in a couple years.

Comment

Working...
                              X