No announcement yet.

One caliber/gun...for North America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it’s not perfect for everything but it will get the job done and been around a long time, got to go with the 3006 as the best all around caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      Ole Jack did it more than once.
      I always thought he was about a sane as a man could be.
      Good bullet, through the shoulders, didn't make it 20 .
      And there are much better bullets, powder now days.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        Ole Jack did it more than once.
        I always thought he was about a sane as a man could be.
        Good bullet, through the shoulders, didn't make it 20 .
        Favorite quotes from Jack O'conner:

"And there isn't any doubt that a good big gun is better than a good little gun - if it's properly handled."
        by Jack O'Connor, The Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns, Outdoor Life (1961).

"The .375 is one of my real enthusiasms in big-game cartridges. If I were going to hunt all over the world and could use only one rifle, it would be the .375. If I could have only two, one would be a .375 and the other would be a .270."
        by Jack O'Connor, The Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns, Outdoor Life (1961).

Comment

If truly only one rifle, I would roll with the .375 RUM. The .375 H&H and .338 win/.340 Weatherby would be second and third. The RUM is a great round with little acceptance. I have a Banser built (8.5 lb.) .375 RUM that is a true 1/2 MOA out to 500 (haven’t shot it further). Good for anything from pigs to Cape buffalo (yes, there are some buffalo here-haaaa) and all in between. Then again, other than this exercise, what fun is one rifle? :-)
          Last edited by RR 314; 12-27-2020, 12:58 PM.

Comment

everything except the grizzle a 30-06 would be darn hard to beat ,,, but with the bear not less than a 300 mag, but a 338 would be even better

Comment

.308/.270/.300 win mag. I have all of them so I am covered.

Comment

I'd vote .308.
                I shot a doe at 90 yds 3 years ago with a 300wsm. Used a 180 grain Barnes VorTx.
                Shot her in the left shoulder. Destroyed both shoulders and the meat.

I'm shooting 150 grain Cor Lokts in my .308 and taking the same shot. Lot less carnage.

Comment

I am partial to my 7mm RUM but if I could only have one to handle the top of the food chain on down, I believe I would take my 375 H&H.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Old school here. 270 for me.
                    Last edited by doghouse; 12-27-2020, 06:58 PM.

Comment

.340 Weatherby

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                        Old school her. 270 for me.
                        As stated, I ain't goin Griz huntin wit a pea shooting 270. For Grizz and moose and everything else I'll be carrying my .35 Whelen

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

12ga? can't imagine how many .308 rounds it would take to bag a limit of doves

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                            As stated, I ain't goin Griz huntin wit a pea shooting 270. For Grizz and moose and everything else I'll be carrying my .35 Whelen

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                            Having been up close and personal with a grizzly and killing a brown bear I’d have no issue with a .270 at all. Bears are soft

Comment

I have somewhat a bitter disdain for .30 cal in general. Just flat don’t care for the ballistic performance until start pushing the heavies fast, and that equals recoil. I hate recoil. That said I’d either be choosing a 30-06 or a 300 WSM for this role. From heavies to lighter loads they can do both well in regards to typical hunting ranges.

Comment

.270 hands down.
                                I’ve killed a huge Ghemsbock one shot drop dead and I’ve shot squirrels with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X